No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

July 20th, 2020 at 10:14:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
It's obvious there is a wink and a nod collaboration by both the restaurant and you to violate the intent of the order.

Do you think Cuomo just wanted to make sure you guys ate snacks while you drank? NO. He wanted to discourage drinking and schmoozing for extended periods, but allow people to at least have a drink with their dinner THEN LEAVE.

And also, why do you think your group is the representative of all groups out drinking? It's not! If people could be counted on to be dependable, we wouldn't need rules and laws at all.

Besides that, laws don't work the way you might like. You can't get away with "Officer, I drive 15mph above the speed limit, because I'm a great driver, look at my record, you can't give me a ticket." You aren't the exception. If you see "Please Don't tap on the glass" on an aquarium, do you need to be threatened with a flogging to not tap on the glass?

Maybe Cuomo will crack down on the next iteration of this if this doesn't work out. Then will you be happier?

If he wanted to discourage drinking and schmoozing for extended periods..... then make an executive order that does so! NOT an executive order that requires you to order food so you can drink and schmooze for extended periods! It really can't be any simpler. It was a stupid, ill thought out executive order. Period.
July 20th, 2020 at 10:27:11 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Dalex64
Do you also agree with Bob that the doctor has no more credibility and that you shouldn't believe anything that he says?

No credibility? I wouldn't go that far. But since it took me less than a minute to craft an honest answer to the mask problem, without the need to outright lie to the public, I would need to evaluate his motives before assessing whether or not I believe him. In general, I think most of what he says is his honest interpretation of the facts. Where I disagree with him is when he says something like this.... "The science says we need to stay closed until positive tests are down 7 days in a row..." To me, how long to stay closed is a political decision, as how many additional cases we are willing to accept to avoid the economic meltdown is NOT a medical decision. If he limited his comment to a purely medical statement... "I believe opening up now will increase cases 20% compared to not opening up..", then THAT is what I want to hear from him. I think many of his comments are not just the medical facts, but his personal opinion on how we should respond as well.
July 20th, 2020 at 11:52:19 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: SOOPOO
No credibility? I wouldn't go that far. But since it took me less than a minute to craft an honest answer to the mask problem, without the need to outright lie to the public, I would need to evaluate his motives before assessing whether or not I believe him. In general, I think most of what he says is his honest interpretation of the facts. Where I disagree with him is when he says something like this.... "The science says we need to stay closed until positive tests are down 7 days in a row..." To me, how long to stay closed is a political decision, as how many additional cases we are willing to accept to avoid the economic meltdown is NOT a medical decision. If he limited his comment to a purely medical statement... "I believe opening up now will increase cases 20% compared to not opening up..", then THAT is what I want to hear from him. I think many of his comments are not just the medical facts, but his personal opinion on how we should respond as well.

I think you have exactly nailed the issue with that SOOPOO. Political opinions are being dispensed as science by many officials right now.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 20th, 2020 at 12:34:14 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146

We're talking about adults having the ability to make health decisions for themselves without the need for Big Daddy Government telling them what to do.

Except we’re not talking about health decisions that affect only that person’s health.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 20th, 2020 at 12:51:10 PM permalink
rxwine

Furthermore, who cares about violating the intent of the order when the order itself is profoundly stupid? If the bars/restaurants are restricting the occupancy and enforcing social distancing, and the customers are complying with the masks and distancing, then all parties involved should otherwise be allowed to do whatever the hell they want to. Of course the restaurant/bar wants to be able to sell a dirt cheap food item to keep SOOPOO's party in the establishment drinking...and do you know why?

ANSWER: Because places are trying to stay open and remain at least minimally profitable. The fact of the matter is that the margins on alcohol, particularly liquor, blow the margins on food completely out of the water and it's not even close. You've got vodka going for $6/shot on a bottle that the establishment purchased for $30-$40, ergo, ridiculously good margins that are necessary to EVEN BE ABLE to offer food at prices that customers would be willing to accept. You've got $7-8 bottles of Woodbridge wine that these places are selling for $20-some bucks. .

IMO, the introduction of alcohol for longer periods of time in ANY public gathering is a potentially a bad idea. No one’s decision making ever improves.

You want to have a private gathering at home and drink — no one can stop you.

No one said the virus could play fair. How’s the cruise line business lately?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 20th, 2020 at 1:07:40 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Except we’re not talking about health decisions that affect only that person’s health.

Yeah, but it’s all the same thing. If the argument is valid for this, then it’s valid for every contagious disease. Some people are talking about Covid like it’s guaranteed to exist in a vacuum. It could mutate, or we could have a totally different virus for which we have no vaccine or treatment three months after we get CV-19 settled. It could be three days, months, years, decades or centuries....but the point is this is a really slippery slope.

I think I was telling someone else this: If there was a guarantee that no other situation like this would ever happen again in all of human existence, hell, lock everyone at home for 2-3 months, but nobody can make that guarantee.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 20th, 2020 at 1:08:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Mission —Oh...but now FORCED personal responsibility is all of a sudden okay? You can terminate a pregnancy, but how dare you drink inside of a bar with COVID-19 going on!? PUH-LEASE.

I occasionally expect government to enforce restrictions on a temporary basis. I don”t think it’s good for some, but sometimes necessary.
July 20th, 2020 at 1:13:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Yeah, but it’s all the same thing. If the argument is valid for this, then it’s valid for every contagious disease. Some people are talking about Covid like it’s guaranteed to exist in a vacuum. It could mutate, or we could have a totally different virus for which we have no vaccine or treatment three months after we get CV-19 settled. It could be three days, months, years, decades or centuries....but the point is this is a really slippery slope.

I think I was telling someone else this: If there was a guarantee that no other situation like this would ever happen again in all of human existence, hell, lock everyone at home for 2-3 months, but nobody can make that guarantee.

It is valid for all diseases contagious and harmful enough. It’s why we try to keep the bad ones under control that are still around. Whooping cough, and tuberculosis, etc.,

The bar seems to be set at flu level with a vaccine.
July 20th, 2020 at 1:20:44 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
IMO, the introduction of alcohol for longer periods of time in ANY public gathering is a potentially a bad idea. No one’s decision making ever improves.

You want to have a private gathering at home and drink — no one can stop you.

No one said the virus could play fair. How’s the cruise line business lately?

Actually, the liquor stores in PA were shut down, at one point, by the mandate of Führer Wolf...and the cops were stopping people at the WV/OH borders because it’s always technically been illegal to bring in out of state liquor.

...So, I guess they can stop you.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 20th, 2020 at 1:25:44 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
It is valid for all diseases contagious and harmful enough. It’s why we try to keep the bad ones under control that are still around. Whooping cough, and tuberculosis, etc.,

The bar seems to be set at flu level with a vaccine.

Yeah, and do you really expect the Liberals not to be perfectly willing to move the goalposts on what is considered, “Harmful enough?” I sure as hell don’t.

Also, I say let the cruise lines do cruises if they want to. I don’t think many people would actually go, and those who do go or would work them in the current environment are making the choice to do so.

Idiotic? Sure. But, we’d have to ban churches if we wanted to Legislate that people aren’t permitted to be idiots.