No votes (0%)
1 vote (6.66%)
1 vote (6.66%)

15 members have voted

April 17th, 2020 at 8:36:01 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: SOOPOO
OK, I'll bite. (I am 100% for abortion rights, by the way) How does someone being against abortion show how little that person cares about people outside the womb?

If you are talking about the religious people who want to express their religion by attending church with other religious people, I can assure you there are examples of going to a church or synagogue in other countries throughout history being a clear risk of death. But people decided that death is worth the risk.

I agree with you that the present day congregants are not playing with a full deck, but I think they do care about actual living beings, just they expect their God to protect them.

I start to bite on some of the ridiculous posts he makes, but I try to resist. I am getting better at it...but not perfect!

A few people act like idiots and he tries to brand everyone that is on on the same side as them as exactly the same as them.

The same act, over and over again.

...but I am the one that is "triggered"...nope...just stating what I see from his posts.
April 17th, 2020 at 8:36:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

However, to your main point, I don't know if white men distrust experts more or less than others. It would be a hard thing to quantity.

The point is the article was bashing white people for spreading the virus, with no real data to back it up. Simply a racial swipe.

Bashing of white men is nothing new.

Hard to quantify scientifically, yes. Hard to quantify anecdotally, nope. At least not in my life.
The President is a fink.
April 17th, 2020 at 8:51:18 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Trump called Remdesivir 'promising' on March 17th.

One month later: Remdesivir

The University of Chicago Medicine recruited 125 people with Covid-19 into Gilead’s two Phase 3 clinical trials. Of those people, 113 had severe disease. All the patients have been treated with daily infusions of remdesivir.

“The best news is that most of our patients have already been discharged, which is great. We’ve only had two patients perish,”
April 17th, 2020 at 9:18:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC
China Lied...How Many There Really Died?

This is why we have an intelligence service
Trump could have listened to our intelligence , he didn't and the WH was unprepared for the virus
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 17th, 2020 at 9:32:47 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: terapined
This is why we have an intelligence service
Trump could have listened to our intelligence , he didn't and the WH was unprepared for the virus

"U.S. intelligence officials warned in November that the coronavirus spreading in China’s Hubei region could become a “cataclysmic event,” ABC News reported Wednesday."

Who did they warn? They apparently didn't consider it important enough to be on the daily intelligence briefing the president receives until "early January":

"The coronavirus first appeared in the President’s Daily Brief of intelligence matters in early January, according to ABC News.

Those who worked on presidential briefings in Republican and Democratic administrations said the initial concerns would have gone through weeks of vetting and analysis before appearing in the daily brief."

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/intelligence/491712-us-intelligence-warned-in-november-that-virus-spreading

So "someone" knew about it but this report does not link that to the President actually knowing about it. With that, perhaps you can pin a few days of lack of reaction on him, but what kept it from being moved up the chain faster? Can you prove that, at the time it hit the briefings, all the beloved scientists weren't consulted?

Perhaps our whole intelligence infrastructure needs to be rebuilt, but it is operating as it has for years.

Again, the main culprit in the virus causing thousands upon thousands of deaths around the world is not President Trump or the United States of America...it is the willingness of the Communist government of China to not give a crap about their own citizens or citizens of any other country.

It isn't the Chinese, or people of Chinese descent, that caused the problems. It is the Communist Government, and those that support it, that did that.
April 17th, 2020 at 9:55:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Nobody knows exactly what's in the intelligence reports that go to the WH
This is some of the most top secret stuff in the country
I have no doubt Trump was warned and he ignored it due to his distrust of intelligence. He'd rather watch Fox for fake intelligence then read intelligence reports.

Have the conservatives in Michigan gone batshit insane
They are blocking the ambulance entrance to a level 1 trauma hospital.
Talk about putting lives in danger
Pretty sick and disgusting. Even BLM doesn't get into that gutter

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/24986/video_gridlock_protest_of_michigan_stay-home_order_blocks_ambulance

https://www.thedailybeast.com/michigan-conservatives-not-concerned-about-covid-19-block-ambulance-during-protest-against-social-distancing?fbclid=IwAR0QpW2VsflT05d4beYkPRoykgVa4ZCoY1rr5zPFeLUrvk4CRTARNM8xsE4
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 17th, 2020 at 9:59:47 AM permalink
RonC
Quote: terapined
Nobody knows exactly what's in the intelligence reports that go to the WH
This is some of the most top secret stuff in the country
I have no doubt Trump was warned and he ignored it due to his distrust of intelligence. He'd rather watch Fox for fake intelligence then read intelligence reports.

The story I quoted talked about intelligence has been handled for a long time. No actual evidence that the President knew about the potential seriousness of it any time before "early January."

The rest is just conjecture on your part unless you have some factual evidence.
April 17th, 2020 at 10:17:16 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Shrek
+100

Exactly! That's why I blocked his ass a long time ago. ain't got no time for his nonsense. 🙄

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 17th, 2020 at 1:39:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Sweden had no quarantine or stay at home orders and now the country is under severe criticism for not having a quarantine.
Sweden's death rate is well below most European countries, but it is very high for a Nordic, German, Baltic or an East European country.

You'll inherently have conflicts about when you lift quarantine orders.

"Deaths/Million pop"
445 Belgium
419 Spain
376 Italy
286 France
215 Britain
202 Netherlands
153 Switzerland
139 Sweden
115 Luxembourg
107 Ireland
76 Monaco
64 Portugal
58 Denmark
50 Germany
46 Austria
32 SloveIitsnia
30 Norway
29 Estonia
26 Iceland
26 Liechtenstein
21 Romania
16 Czechia
16 Hungary
15 Finland
14 Moldova
14 Bosnia and Herzegovina
13 Serbia
12 Lithuania
10 Greece
10 Cyprus
9 Poland
9 Croatia
9 Albania
8 Montenegro
7 Malta
6 Bulgaria
April 18th, 2020 at 11:14:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Wisconsin Sheriff Says He Will Not Enforce Stay-at-Home Order

That's how it starts, officials in
the bottom tier refusing to
enforce the rules. Without
them the top tier has no power.

"Wisconsin’s Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmaling indicated in a statement on Friday he will not enforce the state’s stay-at-home order, which Gov. Tony Evers (D) extended through May 26. Schmaling emphasized that state law “does not have the power to supersede or suspend the Constitutional rights of American citizens".
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.