Andrew Yang seems pretty awesome

August 17th, 2019 at 1:14:15 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: AZDuffman
Boost energy taxes and prepare for higher gas prices and eventually even gas lines.

Why would people stand in line to pay more for gas?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 17th, 2019 at 2:50:19 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Evenbob
Whatever, Face.. Quit it.

Sorry, I forgot to qualify "in my lifetime", and also forgot I was alive for Reagan.

If you'd like to continue sans derailment, the gun thread is OPEN.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 17th, 2019 at 5:22:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Why would people stand in line to pay more for gas?

Happened in 1973 and 1979. I remember it vividly.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2019 at 5:25:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
"The problem is kids without dads. We need more father figures."
Dad stays home to raise kids
"No, not like that"

You're absurd, AZD. I could not think of a better fate for my child (or myself, even) to manage a financial state where one parent could rear their own child. I'd smach the s#$% out of him, sure. In a high five, every single time I saw him.

We are not talking about one parent being able to stay home. We are talking about grown men letting their woman support them because they could not handle the real world per what EB posted.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2019 at 5:33:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Gandler
That is a total strawman. Nobody (on this site) is claiming to want to seize everything from rich people.

From Yang's site:

The means to pay for the Freedom Dividend will come from 4 sources:

1.  Current spending.  We currently spend between $500 and $600 billion a year on welfare programs, food stamps, disability and the like.  This reduces the cost of the Freedom Dividend because people already receiving benefits would have a choice but would be ineligible to receive the full $1,000 in addition to current benefits.

Additionally, we currently spend over one trillion dollars on health care, incarceration, homelessness services and the like.  We would save $100 – 200+ billion as people would take better care of themselves and avoid the emergency room, jail, and the street and would generally be more functional.  The Freedom Dividend would pay for itself by helping people avoid our institutions, which is when our costs shoot up.  Some studies have shown that $1 to a poor parent will result in as much as $7 in cost-savings and economic growth.

This does not at all add up. The "saves $100-200 billion" will just never happen. Seen this kind of claim before, never happens like predicted.

Quote:
2.  A VAT.  Our economy is now incredibly vast at $19 trillion, up $4 trillion in the last 10 years alone.  A VAT at half the European level would generate $800 billion in new revenue.  A VAT will become more and more important as technology improves because you cannot collect income tax from robots or software.

3.  New revenue.  Putting money into the hands of American consumers would grow the economy.  The Roosevelt Institute projected that the economy would grow by approximately $2.5 trillion and create 4.6 million new jobs.  This would generate approximately $800 – 900 billion in new revenue from economic growth and activity.

This is complete Barbara Streisand. His idea it to tax people and then give them the money to spend, somehow this grows the economy? Simply impossible. Like taking money from your checking to your savings and saying you somehow have more money.

Quote:
4.  Taxes on top earners and pollution.  By removing the Social Security cap, implementing a financial transactions tax, and ending the favorable tax treatment for capital gains/carried interest, we can decrease financial speculation while also funding the Freedom Dividend.  We can add to that a carbon fee that will be partially dedicated to funding the Freedom Dividend, making up the remaining balance required to cover the cost of this program.

Taxing capital gains more will crash the stock market, meaning everyone's retirement, as well as investment up and down the line. All this means is stealing money from people to give it to someone else.

The whole UBI thing shows the "bucket of common sense" theory to be true. Supposedly educated people are running all kinds of numbers to "prove it can work." Meanwhile, people of moderate education can see that it is not possible for it to work and see all the reasons it will fail hard.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2019 at 6:08:35 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Happened in 1973 and 1979. I remember it vividly.

That wasn't the reason they were standing in line. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.
August 17th, 2019 at 6:15:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
That wasn't the reason they were standing in line. Correlation does not necessarily mean causation.

Taxing gas to give money away will cause shortages as investment in oil wells dries up.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2019 at 6:26:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Taxing gas to give money away will cause shortages as investment in oil wells dries up.

I disagree. The reason for the long lines was rationing.
August 17th, 2019 at 7:05:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I disagree. The reason for the long lines was rationing.

There was no rationing other than the $5 limit some stations put on. There was a shortage because the price allowed for current production was limited while "new" production was less so. They shut in old production, causing shortages. Not enough "new" production to make up for it. This went on 1973-1981 when Reagan got rid of most price controls. After that you had price spikes but no nationwide shortages other than occasional spot shortages due to weather or refinery fires, etc.

The more you tax it the more ROI gets cut so the less investment you will get. Wealth cannot be invented by taxes.
The President is a fink.
August 17th, 2019 at 7:22:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Odd-even rationing was introduced — meaning that if the last digit on your license plate was odd, you could get gas only on odd-numbered days. New Jersey and New York have just reintroduced the system.

Some gas stations took to posting flags — green if they had gas, yellow if rationing was in effect and red if they were out of gas.

To conserve gas, the maximum speed limit was cut to 55 miles per hour. To cut energy consumption in the broader economy, daylight saving time was introduced year-round at the beginning of 1974, facing criticism from parents whose kids had to go to school before sunrise in the winter month
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?