Andrew Yang seems pretty awesome

Page 22 of 22« First<19202122
May 13th, 2021 at 11:44:33 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Gandler

Isreal existing makes peace hard for many. They have Jerusalem because when they were invaded by their neighbors in the 40s they took control of it.

I think West Bank settlements by Isrealis make peace harder. I do not thinking basing the government out of Jerusalem does.

In the 40's ?????? Better bone up on your history Gandler.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
May 13th, 2021 at 11:48:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
Do you understand that defending oneself makes peace less likely?

Absolutely
Peace is hard
Really really hard
It's a lot harder then defending oneself
Walking around unarmed is harder then walking around armed.
I choose to walk unarmed. I choose the harder road. I choose Peace
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 13th, 2021 at 11:53:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
Perhaps, but then I return to why I'm not sure why we (as a country, on the whole) are spending a lot of time worrying about/reporting on this.

One thing you can argue is whether powerful lobbies may distort the importance of an issue beyond its actual relevance to our own country’s interest.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 13th, 2021 at 11:54:33 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: kenarman
In the 40's ?????? Better bone up on your history Gandler.

I am pretty sure it was the 48 war. It could have been a later one, either way the concept is the same.
May 13th, 2021 at 11:56:45 AM permalink
kenarman
Quote: terapined

Lets get back to Jerusalem
Israel declaring Jerusalem their Capital is a problem
Its wrong. It makes Peace harder
Do you agree or disagree?
I am against anything that makes peace harder
I think its a very logical conclusion that is not anti jew

The fight is over land and will likely only end when Israel no longer exists. Where the capital resides is a relatively minor item in the long term. Moving the capital would do squat to end the fact that Palestinians lost their land and will fight to get it back.

To relate this to your homeland how much are you willing to give up to support "I am against anything that makes peace harder", as China continues to increase the pressure on Taiwan.
May 13th, 2021 at 11:59:50 AM permalink
terapined
Too me. Israel moving moving the capital back to Tel Aviv is one of the easiest concessions to make
Its just symbolism. Not territory.
Easy peasy
Anything easy peasy to advance Peace should be done. Its a no brainer.
I just find it shocking that one the easiest concessions to Peace by Israel is not being made
Telling
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 13th, 2021 at 12:06:46 PM permalink
terapined

To relate this to your homeland how much are you willing to give up to support "I am against anything that makes peace harder", as China continues to increase the pressure on Taiwan.

The pressure is meaningless
Yawn
Too much money at stake
China and Taiwan will continue to coexist peacefully because they are now major trading partners
My Taiwan relatives have huge investments in China
China has huge investments in Taiwan
China knows their worldwide power depends on their growing economy and they will do nothing to deter that
The amount of tourists I see from China is incredible
They are everywhere and really enjoy using their economic might for pleasure
Taiwan is a massive tourist destination for China
Its all about the money now and an invasion would simply be stupid
May 13th, 2021 at 12:12:48 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
One thing you can argue is whether powerful lobbies may distort the importance of an issue beyond its actual relevance to our own country’s interest.

That's probably the case, but I have no actual opinion on it. I pay almost no attention to foreign affairs whatsoever. I like to be at least a little well-versed on things if I am going to opine, but I do not have the time to add an entire category of politics to my list of interests.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
May 13th, 2021 at 12:18:18 PM permalink
kenarman
Quote: terapined
The pressure is meaningless
Yawn
Too much money at stake
China and Taiwan will continue to coexist peacefully because they are now major trading partners
My Taiwan relatives have huge investments in China
China has huge investments in Taiwan
China knows their worldwide power depends on their growing economy and they will do nothing to deter that
The amount of tourists I see from China is incredible
They are everywhere and really enjoy using their economic might for pleasure
Taiwan is a massive tourist destination for China
Its all about the money now and an invasion would simply be stupid

GDP of Taiwan is $600 billion US. GDP of China is $14 trillion US. GDP of Hong Kong is $350 billion US. The trade is much more important to Taiwan than China.
May 13th, 2021 at 5:11:11 PM permalink
terapined
GDP of Taiwan is $600 billion US. GDP of China is $14 trillion US. GDP of Hong Kong is $350 billion US. The trade is much more important to Taiwan than China.

Any armed conflict
Trade will also massively effect
USA
Japan
South Korea
3 of China's biggest trading partners and major contributors to the worlds economy
China is not that stupid
and
I just dont see China going to war with one of their major tourist destinations.
Page 22 of 22« First<19202122