popped up in malls the whole month
of Oct. They have tons of places
you can pay to go thru a scary
house. There are Hween parties
galore. If you're under 40 you don't
remember when none of this
garbage existed. It embarrasses me
to see adults act like idiots.

October? They pop up on Labor Day Weekend in my parts! You don't want to know how much cash haunted houses can turn. I was home visiting once and worked a night with my brother. $7 or so to get in IIRC, and the money came in so fast they could not count it. I never saw anything like it. Some people came back a few times. They had all kinds of volunteer actors. Eventually some prince from Dubai saw it and hired them to make a replica for a mall in Dubai. That a muslim country like Dubai is celebrating a Christian holiday like Halloween did not matter. It did and I guess does great business there. (NOTE: They did have to give a "scrub" to make sure there were no crosses on graves or anything that had a even a slight Christian meaning to it. They did not intentionally have any, but they had to double check.)

On the not of the later, I wonder how many people who are "offended" by anything Christmas just love the Christian holiday of Halloween?

Quote:
I used to be 50/50 on Tgiving, now
I hate it. My wife does too, it's just
another 'more work' holiday. We
just go to the China Buffet now,
and believe me it's packed.

What I liked was how life mostly stopped on Thanksgiving. Even McDonald's was closed all day. I liked that once a year feel. I liked the short week at work. I liked the placement of it, kind of a break before that sprint to Christmas and the end of the year. I like the food. Now it is different. Stores open. People out. My own life I have to hope my brother and sister are on the same visit cycle of this side vs their spouse side. That part has worked itself out, though.
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2019 at 7:37:54 AM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Question? How long is Terapined suspended for? I was surprised to see his name in Red as he is usually nice, smart, and mature and when I read his Pedophile Accusations posts, I was such shocked as that is out of character for him. I do know of a Certain Poster who admits he makes shocking and out of line posts out of anger and just about an hour later when he is calm, he is shocked and filled with remorse at the words that came out of his mouth, er, fingertips but by that time, he is already banned and oftern the nasty posts are quoted so there is no way for him to erase what he said...
September 14th, 2019 at 10:52:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
October? They pop up on Labor Day Weekend in my parts!

Probably here too, I don't
pay attention. I see the
Hween ads all over TV
already. It's not really a
'holiday'. Nobody gets
the day off, no businesses
close, the banks are open
and mail is delivered. It's
a tradition, not a holiday.

It's more like St Pat's day,
just another excuse for
adults to go to a bar and
get stupid drunk.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 14th, 2019 at 11:27:16 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Shrek
...I honestly thought you were blowing smoke...

Do us both a favor and hold onto that.

I pretty much am 100% of the time. Between balancing having to act with my almost refusal to do so, as well as hindsight affecting previous decrees, perfect integrity is not possible. As much as I may ponder until I have the "perfect" solution and set it into motion, it usually takes but one sleep for me to see where my solution is faulty and won't be sustainable. So I walk it back, and there goes the integrity, and here comes the incense. Add to it overrulings, EO's, differences in opinions, differences in goals, and the always present plants of discord, and the scope of what I can personally do narrows to the point I become like English Royalty. Got a title, an illusion of power, but I mostly serve as a reminder and/or a target to ridicule, as opposed to a sigul of unlimited power and ability.

Case in point, we're throttling it already. After discussion, generalizations are back to "allowable". "Not all Republicans are racists, but all racists are Republicans" would be an example of acceptable. "Republicans are racist", counter to what I stated yesterday, is now back to acceptable. "All Republicans are racist" is not, as it would be inclusive to members here. "Donald Trump is racist" is allowed, as while specific, he is not a member. "Shrek is a racist" is not, as it's specific and to a member.

Tune in next time where someone will find a loophole or complaint and I'll have to start all over.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 14th, 2019 at 12:22:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
...., perfect integrity is not possible.

nor desirable : )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 14th, 2019 at 12:42:24 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Quote: Face
Case in point, we're throttling it already. After discussion, generalizations are back to "allowable".
Quote:
"Not all Republicans are racists, but all racists are Republicans" would be an example of acceptable.

I disagree with this being "allowable" or "acceptable". For example, under this rule the following statement would be acceptable/allowable:

"Not all RV owners are child molesters, but all child molesters are RV owners".

If I was using the above statement for a purpose other than to provide an example of what is now allowed/acceptable, I would probably expect to be suspended.

Quote:
"Republicans are racist", counter to what I stated yesterday, is now back to acceptable. "All Republicans are racist" is not, as it would be inclusive to members here. "Donald Trump is racist" is allowed, as while specific, he is not a member. "Shrek is a racist" is not, as it's specific and to a member.

Tune in next time where someone will find a loophole or complaint and I'll have to start all over.
Let's go Brandon
September 14th, 2019 at 12:46:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
The group of people who are in favor of BC pills or abortions for 13 year olds outside of parental consent do not get to say she is a "child."

When ISIS kills a 13 year old child's parents and then forces them to become a soldier/killer and work for them, they are still a child, but sometimes children have to make adult decisions.

You just don't magically gain maturity overnight. We know biologically it doesn't work like that.

Likewise, though, children occasionally are allowed to make some decisions that are adult often by unfortunate circumstances. That doesn't make them an adult.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 14th, 2019 at 1:44:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
When ISIS kills a 13 year old child's parents and then forces them to become a soldier/killer and work for them, they are still a child, but sometimes children have to make adult decisions.

You just don't magically gain maturity overnight. We know biologically it doesn't work like that.

Likewise, though, children occasionally are allowed to make some decisions that are adult often by unfortunate circumstances. That doesn't make them an adult.

Which is why to call them "teenagers" or "yutes." A 13 year old is more adult than child, but still developing into a full adult.

There is a concept called "killing your childhood." That is something tragic that happens giving an upside the head smack saying, "this is the real world." Usually it is a family death, even a pet death. Or could just be a broke family has to tell the kids there will be no Christmas this year.

If this does not happen by age 13, you are very lucky.

We used to make kids into adults faster. We have all seen the meme of college kids in a "safe space" because they saw a "TRUMP" sign put alongside 17 year olds storming Normandy. Not saying we need a world war to do it, but we probably need to better find a way to give that upside the head smack that says "You are grown up, act like it!"
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2019 at 1:47:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Probably here too, I don't
pay attention. I see the
Hween ads all over TV
already. It's not really a
'holiday'. Nobody gets
the day off, no businesses
close, the banks are open
and mail is delivered. It's
a tradition, not a holiday.

It's more like St Pat's day,
just another excuse for
adults to go to a bar and
get stupid drunk.

I only noticed a few years back. It was a "summer really is over" moment.

I do have to like their business plan, though. Just open for the 8 busy weeks. Minimal remodel to move in to otherwise unused retail space.
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2019 at 2:06:38 PM permalink
KNathan
Threads: 37
Quote: rxwine

You have a good point, but there are 13 year olds who would just shoot ISIS Members to avenge their parents death.