Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Follies

April 2nd, 2019 at 4:58:38 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
That isn't like you TP. What do you think someone who lost a family member in Afganistan would think of that comment.

Both are tragedies
Its that the numbers regarding deaths of Americans in Viet Nam is staggering compared to Afganistan
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 2nd, 2019 at 4:59:30 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: terapined
Yawn
Doesn't come close to Viet Nam
Not even in the same ballpark
That's cold man. Don't get me started on Vietnam I'll have to start a new thread!
April 2nd, 2019 at 5:01:26 PM permalink
pew
Both are tragedies
Its that the numbers regarding deaths of Americans in Viet Nam is staggering compared to Afganistan
First and second longest wars in Our history I believe.
April 2nd, 2019 at 5:06:51 PM permalink
pew
I don't know if it matters but Vietnam was strickly a democrat party war that was finally ended by a republican.
April 2nd, 2019 at 5:11:57 PM permalink
pew
Both are tragedies
Not if you consider the number of survivors that lost limbs, organs and minds that would have been dead in Vietnam. I don't know a lot of Viet Nam vets that are crippled, physically that is.
April 2nd, 2019 at 7:36:43 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: pew
Not if you consider the number of survivors that lost limbs, organs and minds that would have been dead in Vietnam. I don't know a lot of Viet Nam vets that are crippled, physically that is.

From Wiki: Vietnam War 153,303 wounded Afghanistan 20,050 wounded That seems like a substantial difference. The Viet Cong set up booby traps in the jungle that were designed to maim not kill. Partially for the terror factor but mostly because if you seriously injured a soldier you not only took him out of the battle but 1 or 2 others to care for him and a chopper to evacuate him. This is a well documented strategy of theirs that worked once the American policy was to never leave a man behind.

Contrast this with policy from WWI or WWII. Soldiers rushing the beaches were instructed to never stop running until they cleared the beach no matter who fell around them.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 3rd, 2019 at 6:20:27 AM permalink
pew
Quote: kenarman
From Wiki: Vietnam War 153,303 wounded Afghanistan 20,050 wounded That seems like a substantial difference. The Viet Cong set up booby traps in the jungle that were designed to maim not kill. Partially for the terror factor but mostly because if you seriously injured a soldier you not only took him out of the battle but 1 or 2 others to care for him and a chopper to evacuate him. This is a well documented strategy of theirs that worked once the American policy was to never leave a man behind.

Contrast this with policy from WWI or WWII. Soldiers rushing the beaches were instructed to never stop running until they cleared the beach no matter who fell around them.
What's the ratio of dead to wounded and how many of the wounded in the current debacle would have been dead in the other debacle? We are much better at survival today than in the sixties albeit at great cost to the survivors.
April 3rd, 2019 at 6:24:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: pew
What's the ratio of dead to wounded and how many of the wounded in the current debacle would have been dead in the other debacle? We are much better at survival today than in the sixties albeit at great cost to the survivors.

I’d rather be dead than much of what survivors end up going thru.
The President is a fink.
April 3rd, 2019 at 6:33:53 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
I’d rather be dead than much of what survivors end up going thru.

Please stop hijacking this thread.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 3rd, 2019 at 12:21:00 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83