8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

September 8th, 2020 at 12:49:18 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
He phoned to warn me that the plan was to break windows in any store that didn't shut down in support.

I'm ok with cancel culture as long as nobody is breaking the law
Obviously I am against anybody breaking the law which is the case here.
This is criminal activity, whole different ballgame
Scientology has a right to complain about me
They do not have the right to threaten to break my windows
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 8th, 2020 at 1:16:46 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
I'm ok with cancel culture as long as nobody is breaking the law
Obviously I am against anybody breaking the law which is the case here.
This is criminal activity, whole different ballgame
Scientology has a right to complain about me
They do not have the right to threaten to break my windows

There might be something of a harassment line possible.

I guess it doesn't rise to illegality, but it would certainly be illegal to say, "If you say x thing, then we will report you to your employer to get you fired." That sort of behavior could actually fall under any number of different laws.

But, the cancel culture behavior is legal...mainly because there's no advance specific threat. Doesn't make it right.

I do agree that Kenarman's example is a little different in fact, (the fact being that an actual crime would be committed against his property) but it's no different in concept.

How do you feel about writing bad reviews of a place you haven't gone to on websites that are not under the business owner's control because of something said by an owner or employee? Would that sort of behavior cross a (non-legal) line, in your view? The purpose of reviewing sites, of course, being to actually talk about an experience you had as a patron of a particular business.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 8th, 2020 at 1:44:42 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
There might be something of a harassment line possible.

I guess it doesn't rise to illegality, but it would certainly be illegal to say, "If you say x thing, then we will report you to your employer to get you fired." That sort of behavior could actually fall under any number of different laws.

But, the cancel culture behavior is legal...mainly because there's no advance specific threat. Doesn't make it right.

You're free to try and run a business where all views are welcome regardless of how controversial they are, and get enough customers to support you. Your customer service rep could be a Neo-Nazi. And you could be a baby clothes outlet.

So Terapined is saying he or anyone else is free to cause you (in legal) ways economic distress through protests that may shut you down just through public awareness and voluntary lack of customer support.

That's the way I understand it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2020 at 1:54:23 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
You're free to try and run a business where all views are welcome regardless of how controversial they are, and get enough customers to support you. Your customer service rep could be a Neo-Nazi. And you could be a baby clothes outlet.

So Terapined is saying he or anyone else is free to cause you (in legal) ways economic distress through protests that may shut you down just through public awareness and voluntary lack of customer support.

That's the way I understand it.

I understand this as being a variation of what you said.

When you talk about getting a specific person fired by calling their employer, that has nothing to do with any sort of demonstrative protest. Voluntary lack of customer support and public awareness sounds like it would refer more to a boycott, which of course is fine.

That sort of thing has certainly happened when it comes to the way that companies treat their employees, or on occasion, with companies who have refused to offer their services to certain types of people. I also think that such a thing is perfectly understandable, because then you have a business taking an action in the context of the business.

When it comes to the workplace, your customer service rep could be a Neo-Nazi, but if he's not expressing that in his conduct at the business or representing the business in any way when he does it, then I don't see why his employer should be involved.

And, again, I'm not questioning whether or not they are free to do so provided it is being done in a legal way. They definitely are free to do so. I'm questioning whether or not they should do so.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 8th, 2020 at 2:04:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

And, again, I'm not questioning whether or not they are free to do so provided it is being done in a legal way. They definitely are free to do so. I'm questioning whether or not they should do so.

It is about the same thing as always. Liberals despise the have to share the planet with those who do not agree with them. So they will try to destroy them and their liveleyhoods. Liberalism is about hate.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2020 at 2:11:15 PM permalink
terapined

How do you feel about writing bad reviews of a place you haven't gone to on websites that are not under the business owner's control because of something said by an owner or employee? Would that sort of behavior cross a (non-legal) line, in your view? The purpose of reviewing sites, of course, being to actually talk about an experience you had as a patron of a particular business.

Oh well
Thats life. Trolls exist. I see them here on this site. One member will review movies and TV shows he's never seen. Its pretty absurd but we all know who he is LOL
But
If its a good place, the overall opinion will drown out the haters
I go on google reviews all the time regarding RV campgrounds
You look at the overall reviews.
Every RV campground has 0 or 1 star reviews. Some complaints are legit. Some just have an axe to grind
I see them all the time in google reviews, even the highly rated RV campgrounds.
but
You still get a good overall idea of how the place is regardless of the trolls because the majority are honest in their reviews and they dominate the rating assigned.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 8th, 2020 at 2:17:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Every RV campground has 0 or 1 star reviews. Some complaints are legit. Some just have an axe to grind

RV parks are rated by what low
life POS happened to be camped
next to you while you were there.
Sometimes you get lucky and
it's a nice retired couple and
not some 30 year old minority
mom with 3 snot nosed loud
kids like in the last park.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2020 at 2:18:01 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Oh well
Thats life. Trolls exist. I see them here on this site. One member will review movies and TV shows he's never seen. Its pretty absurd but we all know who he is LOL
But
If its a good place, the overall opinion will drown out the haters
I go on google reviews all the time regarding RV campgrounds
You look at the overall reviews.
I see them all the time in google reviews, even the highly rated RV campgrounds.
but
You still get a good overall idea of how the place is regardless of the trolls because the majority are honest in their reviews and they dominate the rating assigned.

I don't know who he is, but I guess that's because I rarely follow those threads.

Well, they can dominate the rating depending on the ratio of ACTUAL reviews compared to what the trolls are doing. If some guy has a car repair shop in a relatively small area, though, then you can totally crush his review score just with a few people crapping all over him. Besides that, the people were (on one occasion) encouraged to submit a review as if they actually had patronized the place, so you don't even know fiction from reality on the reviews that, "Look legitimate."
September 8th, 2020 at 2:28:36 PM permalink
terapined
I don't know who he is, but I guess that's because I rarely follow those threads.

Well, they can dominate the rating depending on the ratio of ACTUAL reviews compared to what the trolls are doing. If some guy has a car repair shop in a relatively small area, though, then you can totally crush his review score just with a few people crapping all over him. Besides that, the people were (on one occasion) encouraged to submit a review as if they actually had patronized the place, so you don't even know fiction from reality on the reviews that, "Look legitimate."

Thats life
Been going on since the dawn of mankind
Somebody bad mouthing a business
There is nothing you can do
You might as well start a thread called "What I dont like about human nature" (People, not the band) :-)
September 8th, 2020 at 2:29:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
It is about the same thing as always. Liberals despise the have to share the planet with those who do not agree with them. So they will try to destroy them and their liveleyhoods. Liberalism is about hate.

You probably don’t see not putting two bridegrooms on a cake as a form of cancel culture. But it is.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?