8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

September 8th, 2020 at 2:37:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I understand this as being a variation of what you said.

When you talk about getting a specific person fired by calling their employer, that has nothing to do with any sort of demonstrative protest. Voluntary lack of customer support and public awareness sounds like it would refer more to a boycott, which of course is fine.

That sort of thing has certainly happened when it comes to the way that companies treat their employees, or on occasion, with companies who have refused to offer their services to certain types of people. I also think that such a thing is perfectly understandable, because then you have a business taking an action in the context of the business.

When it comes to the workplace, your customer service rep could be a Neo-Nazi, but if he's not expressing that in his conduct at the business or representing the business in any way when he does it, then I don't see why his employer should be involved.

And, again, I'm not questioning whether or not they are free to do so provided it is being done in a legal way. They definitely are free to do so. I'm questioning whether or not they should do so.

I generally feel the same way. My view is personal life should be personal.

Employers should not be able to hold legal (now if you break the law of course its different) political involvement against you. If somebody is a true NeoNazi and attends an illegal event with a gang they probably have a criminal record. If somebody is a "NeoNazi" because they posted "build the wall keep them out" on Facebook (a common reaction to that kind of post), that should be free speech.

Now I can't stand Trump, more than almost anyone, both politically and personally. But, I will admit, that I have seen Trump supporters targeted (sometimes for just sharing stuff from the Presidents own FB wall) for employer retaliation in a way that I have never seen before. Granted as people like to point out, I am not old, but I am old enough to be social media active (not anymore, but until recently), for every President since the rise of social media in the early 2000s, and I have never seen it like this. I honestly know a lot of people who support Trump who are afraid to share their views because of personal or employer backlash, I have never seen it like this before. As much as I hate Trump, if you feel afraid for your life or livelihood to support (somebody who is sadly the current President), openly, that is not right.

And, its easy for us on the left to say "good I hope they are afraid to show their support", but that is the wrong attitude because A. Freedom of Speech, and B. One day it could happen to use if a divisive Democrat becomes President. You always need to be able to look at things from both sides.

Also, I know you are a libertarian, that can be socially dangerous (I know from past experience), maybe not to the extent of being a Trump supporter, but its a great way to get mocked by both parties (and that is not meant to be an insult to you, I am just saying how the moderates in both parties generally feel about traditional libertarians).
September 8th, 2020 at 2:38:04 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
You probably don’t see not putting two bridegrooms on a cake as a form of cancel culture. But it is.

Yeah, so people out the business, publicize, boycott.

That's all fine and I personally do not oppose it. Might encourage it in some cases.

But, that's because it's a business deciding to treat a certain type of potential customer a particular way, or not to serve them at all. It's perfectly valid to express that such is the sort of treatment that you can expect at the business...and certainly within the rights of the business to take that risk.

Fine, fine and fine. What I'm talking about is someone on not company time making a statement on a social platform that is considered by some to be objectionable...so you go and get them fired? Seriously?

How can you have social discourse if you have to dance on eggshells, not just with your words, but even with the underlying thoughts you're expressing. It results in something that fails to rise to the level of a conversation, and at what point does it end? Is the Far Left going to reach the point where it's de facto mandatory to parrot one another's thoughts verbatim?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 8th, 2020 at 3:00:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
Yeah, so people out the business, publicize, boycott.

That's all fine and I personally do not oppose it. Might encourage it in some cases.

But, that's because it's a business deciding to treat a certain type of potential customer a particular way, or not to serve them at all. It's perfectly valid to express that such is the sort of treatment that you can expect at the business...and certainly within the rights of the business to take that risk.

Fine, fine and fine. What I'm talking about is someone on not company time making a statement on a social platform that is considered by some to be objectionable...so you go and get them fired? Seriously?

How can you have social discourse if you have to dance on eggshells, not just with your words, but even with the underlying thoughts you're expressing. It results in something that fails to rise to the level of a conversation, and at what point does it end? Is the Far Left going to reach the point where it's de facto mandatory to parrot one another's thoughts verbatim?

I’ve heard words have consequences. You’ve been Married/divorced right?

Anyway, I’m not saying it isn’t problematic.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2020 at 3:12:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
You probably don’t see not putting two bridegrooms on a cake as a form of cancel culture. But it is.

No, it is not. This is just one business deciding not to cater to a market. They can go to the next bakery down the street.

Cancel culture is about destroying a business they do not like.

Cancel culture has taken Cherikee Red of the market, one of the best cherry sodas out there. And for what?
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2020 at 3:27:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
No, it is not. This is just one business deciding not to cater to a market. They can go to the next bakery down the street.

Cancel culture is about destroying a business they do not like.

Cancel culture has taken Cherikee Red of the market, one of the best cherry sodas out there. And for what?

Get over it. Not interested in your sob story.

I’ve heard you dismiss worker complaints just as easily. No would should give a f*** how hard it may be if it didn’t work out. Move on. Not our problem.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2020 at 3:36:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Get over it. Not interested in your sob story.

I’ve heard you dismiss worker complaints just as easily. No would should give a f*** how hard it may be if it didn’t work out. Move on. Not our problem.

I can't even follow what you are trying to say there.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2020 at 3:48:52 PM permalink
rxwine
I can't even follow what you are trying to say there.

You argue workers aren't making enough money, so get two jobs, move on, train up. If there's a corporate interest, the stock holders are what matter not the workers.

So, I'm just following you. A business goes under. I say the same. Move on. Not our problem. Who cares why? Move on, move on, move on. Stop crying.
September 8th, 2020 at 4:17:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
You argue workers aren't making enough money, so get two jobs, move on, train up. If there's a corporate interest, the stock holders are what matter not the workers.

So, I'm just following you. A business goes under. I say the same. Move on. Not our problem. Who cares why? Move on, move on, move on. Stop crying.

True about the workers. You get paid on your output not on your "needs."

A business going under is one thing. Someone's livelyhood being destroyed because liberals are upset the the owner will not bend to their will is quite another. Like I said, liberalism is about hate.
The President is a fink.
September 8th, 2020 at 5:02:42 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: DRich
Ed, why would anybody be against Trump demanding FOX news fire her? We still have free speech. I would be upset if they did fire her based on that but asking will always be allowed.

I think this point might be too complicated for him. 😂😂
September 8th, 2020 at 5:05:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Like I said, liberalism is about hate.

Conservatives spread real hate and call it just my opinion. You're supposed to be fooled with their calm tones and words.