2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

September 7th, 2020 at 4:51:19 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Quote: Mission146
Haven't you read the book? The policies of the far left are no less likely to get us to Brave New World than those of the far right.

Basically, it's just about systematic and absolute control of the populace...which both sides (far fringes) support, just in different ways.

One of the main concepts of the book is the re-writing of history by the 'Ministry of Truth'. That has been in full force and driven by the left for years. First under the guise of political correctness now it is totally in the open with removing statues, flags, control of media, rewriting books and eliminating from the history books actual events.

Freedoms of all kinds are under attack now and not by the right. The far left is almost indistinguishable from Fascists now.

?????????
What books have been censored??????
This is absurd
Sure history may be re-evaluated but thats what humans do throughout the course of human history.
but
If you or anybody writes what they view as history, is it censored??????
The KKK can write their own history books, I could care less. I dont want them censored. I just wont read that crap
Your whole "ministry of truth" is BS
Its Trump that is attacking the truth
Are you OK with Trump demanding Fox fire Jennifer Griffin????????????
She reported the truth
Trump is against the truth. He is insisting his followers harass the Atlantic's owner
I dont like Breibart's reporting but I will defend their right to report without harassment
I will never demand Breibart fire a reporter for telling the truth
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 7th, 2020 at 4:55:16 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Trump is one of the biggest opponents of free speech in American History with his intimidation and wanting broader libel laws.....

The idea that any other Presdient was more anti-freespeech is laughable.
September 7th, 2020 at 6:59:10 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

Are you OK with Trump demanding Fox fire Jennifer Griffin????????????

Ed, why would anybody be against Trump demanding FOX news fire her? We still have free speech. I would be upset if they did fire her based on that but asking will always be allowed.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 8th, 2020 at 4:45:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

One of the main concepts of the book is the re-writing of history by the 'Ministry of Truth'. That has been in full force and driven by the left for years. First under the guise of political correctness now it is totally in the open with removing statues, flags, control of media, rewriting books and eliminating from the history books actual events.

Freedoms of all kinds are under attack now and not by the right. The far left is almost indistinguishable from Fascists now.

I don't disagree with any of that (in general). Same restriction of freedoms, different side perpetuating it by different means.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 8th, 2020 at 7:32:55 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: DRich
Ed, why would anybody be against Trump demanding FOX news fire her? We still have free speech.

Its dumb, stupid, petty and chilling
At least Nixon had enough class not to make a stupid statement and demand the Post fire Woodward and Bernstein
Nixon never asked his followers to harass Mrs Graham
Trump is demanding his supporters harass the Atlantic's owner
I find these actions by Trump disgusting
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 8th, 2020 at 7:35:24 AM permalink
terapined
I don't disagree with any of that (in general). Same restriction of freedoms, different side perpetuating it by different means.

I think history should always be revaluated
Take the civil war
The South after the war made it all about States rights to make them feel better
It was about SLAVERY
There were massacres of Blacks all over the South after the Civil War. History books covered that all up.
Of course we need to constantly revaluate history so nothing is covered up like all the massacres
September 8th, 2020 at 7:56:19 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Take the civil war
The South after the war made it all about States rights to make them feel better
It was about SLAVERY

Your statement is an oxymoron. Your first line says that interpretation of history is always changing. Your second line implies that todays interpretation is somehow absolute and won't ever change. You can't have it both ways.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
September 8th, 2020 at 8:01:42 AM permalink
terapined
Your statement is an oxymoron. Your first line says that interpretation of history is always changing. Your second line implies that todays interpretation is somehow absolute and won't ever change. You can't have it both ways.

It can change again as we are discovering the overwhelming hatred for blacks
Being in the South right now, I am seeing the history of all the massacres that I never learned about in schools
My views are changing as I learn more
Every American in the country should check out the Civil Rights museum attached to the Lorraine motel in Memphis
I learned a lot about hatred
Birmingham was so bad, its nickname was bombingham. Not a single arrest.

I'm searching for America on my RV travels. I am learning a lot about America
September 8th, 2020 at 8:32:17 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Take the civil war
It was about SLAVERY
There were massacres of Blacks all over the South after the Civil War. History books covered that all up.
Of course we need to constantly revaluate history so nothing is covered up like all the massacres

I'm referring mostly to cancel culture. I see the Far Left as wanting to take certain actions to severely curtail the concept of Free Speech.

No question it was (mostly) about slavery. All one must do to know that is read the Confederate Constitution. No reevaluation needed.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 8th, 2020 at 8:40:59 AM permalink
terapined
I see the Far Left as wanting to take certain actions to severely curtail the concept of Free Speech.

Who cares about the far left
How about the regular left like me
I am in full support of freedom of speech
Give me an example of cancel culture where somebody lost their right to free speech
Take the KKK. I will always support their right to freedom of speech

By the way there are no free speech rights on private web sites such as this one. Wiz's house, Wiz's rules. That includes all houses including Zuck's