8 votes (36.36%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

March 28th, 2020 at 8:17:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
Don’t worry, MI won’t go for Donny this time (that’s the one prediction I feel confident in making this election).

If President Trump loses MI and PA he could end up in a tie general election, but he will win the contingent election.
March 29th, 2020 at 6:17:48 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Pacomartin
If President Trump loses MI and PA he could end up in a tie general election, but he will win the contingent election.

Super interesting! And bad for the Democrats! I was unaware of how the process worked. In a tie, the House votes for President, and the Senate votes for Vice-President!

So I thought we would most likely end up with a President Biden and Vice President Pence, buttttt......

The way the house votes is each state, no matter how big or small, gets ONE vote. So you need 26 votes to win. In the real world of a tie, Trump will get more than 26 states, while Biden would have gotten fewer than 26, although of course the more populous states. So a tie means Trump has 4 more years.
March 29th, 2020 at 6:25:56 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: SOOPOO

Super interesting! And bad for the Democrats! I was unaware of how the process worked. In a tie, the House votes for President, and the Senate votes for Vice-President!

So I thought we would most likely end up with a President Biden and Vice President Pence, buttttt......

The way the house votes is each state, no matter how big or small, gets ONE vote. So you need 26 votes to win. In the real world of a tie, Trump will get more than 26 states, while Biden would have gotten fewer than 26, although of course the more populous states. So a tie means Trump has 4 more years.

This was a brilliant amendment (12th) to to the Constitution. It keeps us from having Vice Presidents who oppose the President and cannot work together and further protects the relationship of States to the the Federal Government. Namely, several populous states cannot rule the country alone.
March 29th, 2020 at 6:34:41 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: RonC

This was a brilliant amendment (12th) to to the Constitution. It keeps us from having Vice Presidents who oppose the President and cannot work together and further protects the relationship of States to the the Federal Government. Namely, several populous states cannot rule the country alone.

Selfishly, as a someone who likes seeing Republican (other than Trump) Presidents, I agree.
But conceptually, I don't like it at all. The concept that the majority of Americans DO NOT elect their President is wrong to me. I feel that the fact that little (population wise) states get the same number of Senators is what should prevents 'several populous states from ruling the country'. Even the way House members are elected also prevents that somewhat. Both NY and California, Bluest of the Blue states, have districts which are Reddest of the Red. So some House members from Blue States are Red, and vice-versa of course.

But Democrats, don't pout. When Texas flips Blue (either 2024 or 2028) you won't have to work hard to win the Presidency.
March 29th, 2020 at 6:45:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Selfishly, as a someone who likes seeing Republican (other than Trump) Presidents, I agree.
But conceptually, I don't like it at all. The concept that the majority of Americans DO NOT elect their President is wrong to me. I feel that the fact that little (population wise) states get the same number of Senators is what should prevents 'several populous states from ruling the country'. Even the way House members are elected also prevents that somewhat. Both NY and California, Bluest of the Blue states, have districts which are Reddest of the Red. So some House members from Blue States are Red, and vice-versa of course.

But Democrats, don't pout. When Texas flips Blue (either 2024 or 2028) you won't have to work hard to win the Presidency.

You are missing the point of the Senate. And direct election of Senators is what really mucked it all up. Senators are supposed to represent the STATES, not the people. Now some here will say "the people ARE the state." No. The Senate is supposed to be a brake on the whims of the House. It is why the Senate has longer and staggerd terms. If the House decides they want a minimum wage of $20, the Senate has to be the grown ups and vote it down because of the harm it would do to the state at large. If the House says every state must implement a UBI program, the Senate has to keep their senses and not pass such a bill because it would bankrupt the states.

This is why the number of Senators is even. It may drive people in CA crazy because they do not get to roughshod over smaller states, but events of recent years show what a great idea it was.
The President is a fink.
March 29th, 2020 at 7:02:29 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

The swing towards blue is sickening to me. The liberals come in to the state to get away from high tax places and then want to change this state to look more like the place they got tired of and left. The cities are going blue quickly; since they are the population centers, they will eventually swing the states.

For at least a while, we have implemented a policy to help ANYONE from mindlessly selecting ""straight party" and voting without looking at the candidates. The previous policy allowed the Democrats to sweep offices in most of our county, which got rid of both the bad and the good. The only Republican to win a county-wide election was the Treasurer, who was unopposed in the general election.

The state always had a lot of Democrats but I don't think the new ones are the same conservative Democrats that used to be here.

It looks now like it will be easy to get Democrat Presidents in a few short years, but every time we think one party is "dead" somehow it arises from the dead for whatever reason.
March 29th, 2020 at 10:48:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
You are missing the point of the Senate. And direct election of Senators is what really mucked it all up. Senators are supposed to represent the STATES, not the people. .

Why do you waste your time
explaining something that
should have been learned
in 9th grade. The brilliant
men who started this republic
realized fair representation
was the key. Without it we
would soon devolve into a
monarchy or a dictatorship.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 29th, 2020 at 1:43:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
The brilliant men who started this republic realized fair representation was the key.

The states may not have even formed a republic without the Connecticut Compromise (also known as the Great Compromise of 1787 or Sherman Compromise).
March 30th, 2020 at 4:33:37 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Not wanting to start a new thread. Nancy Pelosi is abhorrent. I think she will end up being more disliked than HRC. Her most recent anti-Trump comments are not worthy of a petulant teenager.
March 30th, 2020 at 5:10:33 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
“And first of all, he has to tell — uh uh wait until the cases before anything happens." -Biden

Hasn't left his home in two weeks and he's still 8 points ahead in the Fox poll.