aceofspades
Threads: 83
If you ever commit a crime, run for President and you can't be investigated
January 25th, 2020 at 8:58:34 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
B.S.

I’m not going to entertain any more gaslighting. Donny didn’t care about investigating corruption, and you know it.

Certainly possible you are correct. But whether he cared about it or not, it IS what he asked for. And to me, it IS a totally appropriate use of the leverage he had.

Once again, since you know the 'jury' (Senate) will never convict him on the 'evidence' the Dems have, we shall see if the American people will think the phone call is enough to override the booming economy, trade deals with Mexico, China, and Canada, more secure borders, lower taxes, incremental improvements in health care, etc... in November. The recent polls I've seen show him closing the gap on the front running Democrats.
January 25th, 2020 at 8:59:52 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: RonC

None of that changes the other relevant facts...the Democrats did a poor job in their House impeachment process. Now they want the Senate to fix it. That is not how it works.

About the only thing they need to "fix" is call some more witnesses.

Where'd you get the rule that the Senate can't call them, besides making it up for your own convenience.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 25th, 2020 at 10:00:07 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: rxwine

Where'd you get the rule that the Senate can't call them, besides making it up for your own convenience.

I am 'pro witness'. I think if the Republicans do not allow witnesses the populace will turn against them, at least enough to affect both the next presidential election and some of the closer Senate races. From a purely political perspective it is a no-brainer for me. The few new witnesses the Dems have will either claim privilege, or add nothing we don't already know. The Republicans will have a FEAST calling the Bidens. It will be a lose-lose for Joe Biden. And any Democrat who says that they are not relevant will be outvoted 53-47.

By the way..... don't you wish Chief Justice Roberts would have said..... "OK, Mr. Schiff, you said that already a few dozen times, anything new to add?" I am frankly surprised that their is no way to prevent the repetition that was so obvious and annoying.
January 25th, 2020 at 10:07:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO

By the way..... don't you wish Chief Justice Roberts would have said..... "OK, Mr. Schiff, you said that already a few dozen times, anything new to add?" I am frankly surprised that their is no way to prevent the repetition that was so obvious and annoying.

Several of them used the same Ben Franklin quote. I think they could have done some editing, but some things were related to other information and had to be mentioned again.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 25th, 2020 at 10:30:27 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Yes, a reason given was to expose high level American corruption.

The implementation was to demand an investigation of exactly one high level American, who also just happens to be a political rival.

This is another case of the devil in the details, and the reason that you do something is important.

Also important is that this wasn't an attempted investigation of high level Americans that a political rival was caught up in - it was an attempted investigation of a political rival.

So an investigation of high level corruption is a pretty sounding and legal sounding reason, it isn't really the reason or motivation behind the investigation.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 25th, 2020 at 10:48:29 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Dalex64
Yes, a reason given was to expose high level American corruption.

The implementation was to demand an investigation of exactly one high level American, who also just happens to be a political rival.

This is another case of the devil in the details, and the reason that you do something is important.

Also important is that this wasn't an attempted investigation of high level Americans that a political rival was caught up in - it was an attempted investigation of a political rival.

So an investigation of high level corruption is a pretty sounding and legal sounding reason, it isn't really the reason or motivation behind the investigation.

We can parse back and forth this trivia. You say political rival. I say high level American. And a high level American WHOSE SON GOT A MILLION DOLLAR FAUX JOB with the Ukrainians. Mention any other ex elected official whose son got a similar job and I'll ask for help investigating him too. Point being, you can choose to think what Trump did was bad, wrong, not in concert with your ideals for a President..... But it's not even close to a reason to impeach.

Do you think all 'political rivals' should be exempt from having their crimes investigated?
January 25th, 2020 at 11:59:32 AM permalink
rxwine
We can parse back and forth this trivia. You say political rival. I say high level American. And a high level American WHOSE SON GOT A MILLION DOLLAR FAUX JOB with the Ukrainians. Mention any other ex elected official whose son got a similar job and I'll ask for help investigating him too. Point being, you can choose to think what Trump did was bad, wrong, not in concert with your ideals for a President..... But it's not even close to a reason to impeach.

Do you think all 'political rivals' should be exempt from having their crimes investigated?

You're still missing that the President had a proper way to conduct investigations.

Presidents even have good ways to smear rivals as long as they have sympathetic supporters who are distant enough from the President's inner circle.

A president using his political power abusively to win his next election seems well within impeachment.

This is what everyone will say when the next President abuses his power to win an election. MUST be okay.
January 25th, 2020 at 12:24:32 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Your problem is - you’re unable to identify any crimes committed by the Bidens.

And Donny has admitted he’d do the same thing Hunter did!

Trump: ‘I Would’ Do What Hunter Biden Did for ‘Millions of Dollars’
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 25th, 2020 at 12:52:29 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine

They can do that, if they feel it will get them somewhere. I never said there was some "rule" that says that they can't call them; that is just silly. They CAN do a lot of things--have witnesses, have no witnesses, vote to dismiss, etc.--but they don't HAVE to anything besides follow a path of their choice that concludes the process. Other than a 50/50 tie on a vote for a rule/process, even the Chief Justice can't do a lot.

The House knowingly sent over a flawed case. The jury has already basically decided the case while some of them tell lies speaking about being "impartial" while seeking any microphone in sight (both sides). The only thing left to decide is how they get to the end of the process.

All I said was that the House wants the Senate to fix their poor work...but the Senate does not have to do so.

The House, in support of their Democrat office seekers, decided to take shortcuts to impeach the President "forever"...they could have done a better job at actually building a better case but that was not their political objective. The very first post in this thread set it well...

Quote: Nareed
Impeachment, alas, is a political process, not a judicial one.

The Republicans need not help the Democrats towards their political objective.