The Trump Impeachment Thread

November 18th, 2019 at 10:17:21 AM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO

Once again, you keep saying he did it for political reasons. He can reasonably say that there are two blatantly corrupt individuals, one of whom was the second highest ranking American, who were clearly abusing power and likely committing crimes. He asked a foreign entity to help him root out these criminals. Yes, he was strong arming them. Yes, he is sleazy. Most likely he had bad intentions. NOT ENOUGH TO WARRANT IMPEACHMENT.

He can't "reasonably" say that though because there are steps that he could've/should've taken if he was acting in good faith, steps that are clearly outlined in MLAT treaty procedures. I've mentioned these things in previous posts so I'm not going to rehash them.

The other contention I have with this idea that "well, the Senate won't convict so it's a waste of time" is that I believe Robert Mueller had a clear message for Congress, that it was time to do their job. And they are, they are doing their job. Well, at least some are. Today it was announced that Trump probably lied to Mueller in his written answers about what he knew concerning Roger Stone and Wikileaks. We'll see what happens with this but it's yet additional information we might not have known if it weren't for impeachment hearings. And because I believe Trump is a corrupt man, I think there's more to come. I just find it highly ironic that conservatives are actively advocating for people to NOT do the job they were hired to do, but yet they like to rail against the "takers" who don't do ANY jobs. Pretty conflicting thought processes.

If his bad intentions = abusing his power for political gain, and that is not impeachable?....I mean, what are you waiting for? For him to ACTUALLY shoot somebody on 5th ave?
November 18th, 2019 at 11:05:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Have you heard a single Republican senator who will be voting on impeachment say that they have seen any evidence which would cause them to vote for conviction? .

Most Republicans take political cover from this President faster than a cat with a string of fire crackers tied to its tail.
Few to none will ever tip their true convictions until the last moment.

We know those with the most to lose probably won’t convict the President, but that doesn’t mean we won’t just get enough to tip the balance,
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 18th, 2019 at 1:20:32 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
Most Republicans take political cover from this President faster than a cat with a string of fire crackers tied to its tail.
Few to none will ever tip their true convictions until the last moment.

We know those with the most to lose probably won’t convict the President, but that doesn’t mean we won’t just get enough to tip the balance,

I will bet you any reasonable amount of money that there will not be more than 50 Senators voting to convict. I'll give you a day to propose a sum. This is only if they impeach before the next Presidential election.
November 18th, 2019 at 2:00:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I will bet you any reasonable amount of money that there will not be more than 50 Senators voting to convict. I'll give you a day to propose a sum. This is only if they impeach before the next Presidential election.

50 senators for 50 dollars. So, if they don't get 50 senators to vote to convict I owe you 50 dollars. Otherwise you owe me 50. You can donate it to the Democratic candidate of my choice which I will announce if I win.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 18th, 2019 at 2:07:22 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: rxwine
50 senators for 50 dollars. So, if they don't get 50 senators to vote to convict I owe you 50 dollars. Otherwise you owe me 50. You can donate to the Democratic candidate of my choice which I will announce if I win.

We have a bet! If he is not impeached before the next Presidential election the bet is off. Great knife in my side..... if I lose I may have to donate to Warren or Sanders!

I often forget about these long term bets, but this one I am pretty sure I will remember!
November 18th, 2019 at 2:44:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I will bet you any reasonable amount of money that there will not be more than 50 Senators voting to convict. .

There are 45 Dem Senators. They need
67 to convict. That means the 2
independents and 20 Rep Senators
have to vote for impeachment.
Never gonna happen. I doubt they'll
get all 45 Dems to vote yes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 19th, 2019 at 5:33:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: Evenbob
There are 45 Dem Senators. They need
67 to convict. That means the 2
independents and 20 Rep Senators
have to vote for impeachment.
Never gonna happen. I doubt they'll
get all 45 Dems to vote yes.

I agree with you. But it is possible all 45 do vote to convict. Plus Sanders of course. I think they get 42 or so. Rx and I were not betting on conviction. I’d have to give him mammoth odds on that bet.
November 19th, 2019 at 6:09:25 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I think all Dems (and the two independents) would vote to convict - except possibly Joe Manchin of WV.

These GOP senators could possibly vote to convict, they will at least pretend to consider it:

Mitt Romney
Susan Collins
Lisa Murkowski
That AZ lady who lost in 2018 and still got appointed to John McCain's seat and is up again in 2020

Do I think any of them will actually vote to convict him? I doubt it, they're spineless cretins.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
November 19th, 2019 at 9:44:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Quote: ams288
I think all Dems (and the two independents) would vote to convict - except possibly Joe Manchin of WV.

These GOP senators could possibly vote to convict, they will at least pretend to consider it:

Mitt Romney
Susan Collins
Lisa Murkowski
That AZ lady who lost in 2018 and still got appointed to John McCain's seat and is up again in 2020

Do I think any of them will actually vote to convict him? I doubt it, they're spineless cretins.

How many Democrats do you think will 'at least pretend to consider it'? (Voting not guilty).

I assume a Senator can abstain? I can see a few wussies doing that.....
November 19th, 2019 at 10:00:33 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
How many Democrats do you think will 'at least pretend to consider it'? (Voting not guilty).

I don’t know why any would, it’s an open and shut case. We knew from the day he released the transcript that he’s guilty.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman