Easter: Message of Jesus?

February 25th, 2018 at 8:28:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Also what are you talking about when you say galaxies come and go?

The BB is not unique, it's happened countless
times. It will all eventually collapse and explode
again. The cycle never ends. You can feel this
is true, you can sense the timeless nature of
who you are if you're not bogged down with
programming from your childhood. There
are primitive cultures that live that way, as
part of the endless cycle, because they don't
know any better. They sense the timelessness
of who they are and don't question their part
in it. They have no god religion, just a respect
for nature and the way of things.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 26th, 2018 at 5:58:24 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You might think the cycle never ends, but without a doubt it did begin. Like all things in motion it was acted upon. Philosophically and physically it is clear that if how you are describing the universe is true then it has a beginning.

All things that begin to exist have a cause.
The universe has a beginning.
Therefore the universe has a cause.

By the way if you want to talk about beliefs based on feelings then far more than some impossible eternal universe we can all feel there is a God and something more about life. Maybe this feeling is what you are twisting into reincarnation. We all instinctively know that we ourselves and nature around us are too awesome and magnificent to be without deeper significance and purpose.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 26th, 2018 at 10:12:20 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Evenbob
LOL! Whatever, it's like arguing with
a flat earth person, a complete waste
of time. You still understand nothing
about this subject.

Beautiful. How does it make you feel to attack your belief/faith that can't be collaborated by science???

I've read the University of Virginia stuff and a whole pile of other things as well on reincarnation. I equate their work to scientific work done by Divinity students in an effort to prove God's existence. Complete and utter hogwash.
February 26th, 2018 at 10:18:33 AM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: FrGamble
You might think the cycle never ends, but without a doubt it did begin. Like all things in motion it was acted upon. Philosophically and physically it is clear that if how you are describing the universe is true then it has a beginning.

The Universe might not have had a beginning. We experience normal time. To say that the Universe had a "beginning" talks about the period of time that we can recognize. It could very well be that the laws of physics were different before the big bang and that everything was working in reverse. The Universe could be just a big loop, always existing, never ending. If time is a manifestation of space, then you have to look at the universe from a completely different sense of lenses.

Quote: Fr
We all instinctively know that we ourselves and nature around us are too awesome and magnificent to be without deeper significance and purpose.

I feel that way. But feeling is different than knowing. Knowing is just faith on a feeling filled with observational bias. My delusional household member also knew, beyond a shadow of his/her own doubt, that he/she is Elijah.
February 26th, 2018 at 10:25:12 AM permalink
boymimbo
Quote: petroglyph
Given that is facts as best we know them, I am a little surprised that you don't believe there is other life forms in the universe? Science has already concluded that organic matter exists elsewhere from earth, from that just add a few billions of years, and sunlight, voila.

Sheer numbers makes alien life likely, with trillions of stars. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111026143721.htm

As much as Sagan made Drake's equation famous, the actual values for the variables is still coming in. SETI has been going on for decades with nothing, and we, as humans, have only had a radio footprint for a century. It could be that the Earth is singularly unique in this galaxy and that the variable on complex life is a very small. We are finding planets all of the time; planetary formation is very probable around stars, but getting a planet at the exact distance to have the exact compositional features to create an atmosphere and sustain life over a long term might be next to nothing.

When you look at our progression in Physics and particularly with rocket technology, it is doubtful that we will ever get to a point where we will create spaceships capable of going fast enough and durable enough to visit other star systems before we destroy ourselves. As much as I love the idea of Star Trek, I don't see it.
February 26th, 2018 at 10:36:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: boymimbo
Complete and utter hogwash.

ROFLMAO!!!
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 26th, 2018 at 10:40:40 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: boymimbo
As much as Sagan made Drake's equation famous, the actual values for the variables is still coming in. SETI has been going on for decades with nothing, and we, as humans, have only had a radio footprint for a century. It could be that the Earth is singularly unique in this galaxy and that the variable on complex life is a very small. We are finding planets all of the time; planetary formation is very probable around stars, but getting a planet at the exact distance to have the exact compositional features to create an atmosphere and sustain life over a long term might be next to nothing.

When you look at our progression in Physics and particularly with rocket technology, it is doubtful that we will ever get to a point where we will create spaceships capable of going fast enough and durable enough to visit other star systems before we destroy ourselves. As much as I love the idea of Star Trek, I don't see it.

It could also be that detectable high-power radio emissions might not be used by these ETs.

For us, high-power poorly directed broadcast signals are in decline. Broadcast television is (was?) being replaced by cable or by wired IP, radio by satellite. In both cases, relatively low power and highly directed satellite uplink signals are used, and similarly low power signals are coming down from the satellites.

It could be that we will have only a few hundred year window of detectable radio emissions ourselves.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 31st, 2020 at 2:06:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Easter is in 13 days. With churches closed,
will people have to nail Jesus back up
on his cross in their homes? Or will poor
Jesus get a break this year.
March 31st, 2020 at 3:50:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
FrG, my mother-in-law's parish is doing live streams of all their services, which I highly respect.

My question to you is might us members of your DT congregation be able to enjoy a live stream of one of your services?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 1st, 2020 at 10:03:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Catholic Leaders Urge Bishops to Restore Sacraments During Pandemic

“The sacraments are the spiritual ‘Personal Protective Equipment’ of Catholics. They enable us to work in the field hospital of the sick and dying. During the COVID 19 pandemic, Catholics are being deprived of what is central to our faith — the sacraments. The sacraments are gifts of inestimable value: They open up for us the gates of Heaven.." Father Michael J. McGivney

So much archaic superstition that
does us no good when we need the
super powers of science to once
again come to our rescue. Sacraments
and praying will get you nowhere,
as has been proven time and again.