2 votes (8.69%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (4.34%)

23 members have voted

February 23rd, 2017 at 4:00:52 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Nareed
It's true the GOP and the Republicans running for the nomination didn't do enough to stop trump from hijacking their party. So much for principles.

During the 2016 primary, Trump had 16 challengers to split the anti-Trump vote. Meanwhile, the media attacked Trump mercilessly and he used that hostility from the media as a badge of honor to con the GOP primary voters into taking his side in Wrestlemania 2016: Trump vs Media. Trump played a savvy game: whenever he said something crazy, the media would demand an apology and Trump took delight in not giving one. The voters always rallied to his side.

Quote: Ben Shapiro
...the media attacked Trump incessantly, driving Republicans into his outstretched arms. The media’s obvious hatred for Trump was one of the chief arguments for Trump from his advocates: If, as his detractors claimed, he wasn’t conservative, then why would the leftist media hate him so much?... If the media opposed Trump with all their heart and all their soul, that must have been some sort of reaction to Trump himself. ... Trump’s war with the media carried him to the nomination, and from there to the presidency.

I'm not sure if Trump was cribbing notes from Newt Gingrich in 2012, but when Gingrich was confronted during a debate about the hypocrisy of his position on "traditional marriage" Gingrich just changed the subject; he blamed the media for asking a tawdry question.

Quote: Transcript
JOHN KING: And just as speaker Gingrich surged into contention here in South Carolina, a direct fresh character attack on the Speaker. And Mr Speaker, I want to start with that this evening. As you know, your ex-wife gave an interview to ABC News and another interview with The Washington Post. And this story has now gone viral on the internet. In it, she says that you came to her in 1999, at a time when you were having an affair. She says you asked her, sir, to enter into an open marriage. Would you like to take some time to respond to that?

GINGRICH: No, but I will.

(APPLAUSE)

GINGRICH: I think the destructive, vicious, negative nature of much of the news media makes it harder to govern this country, harder to attract decent people to run for public office. And I am appalled that you would begin a presidential debate on a topic like that.

(APPLAUSE)

KING: Is that all you want to say, sir?

GINGRICH: Let me finish.

KING: Please.

GINGRICH: Every person in here knows personal pain. Every person in here has had someone close to them go through painful things. To take an ex-wife and make it two days before the primary a significant question for a presidential campaign is as close to despicable as anything I can imagine.

My – my two daughters – my two daughters wrote the head of ABC and made the point that it was wrong, that they should pull it, and I am frankly astounded that CNN would take trash like that and use it to open a presidential debate.

(APPLAUSE)

KING: As you noted, Mr Speaker, this story did not come from our network. As you also know, it is a subject of conversation on the campaign. I'm not – I get your point. I take your point.

GINGRICH: John, John, it was repeated by your network. You chose to start the debate with it. Don't try to blame somebody else. You and your staff chose to start this debate with it. Let me be quite clear. Let me be quite clear. The story is false. Every personal friend I have who knew us in that period said the story was false. We offered several of them to ABC to prove it was false. They weren't interested because they would like to attack any Republican. They're attacking the governor. They're attacking me. I'm sure they'll presently get around to Senator Santorum and Congressman Paul. I am tired of the elite media protecting Barack Obama by attacking Republicans.

"The story is false"? Of course it wasn't false, he cheated on his 1st wife with his 2nd wife, then he cheated on his 2nd wife with his 3rd wife and had the chutzpah to give speeches about traditional marriage. It's hard to believe that anyone would fall for that schtick, but it worked. The audience loved Gingrich for blaming the media.
February 23rd, 2017 at 4:41:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
During the 2016 primary, Trump had 16 challengers to split the anti-Trump vote. Meanwhile, the media attacked Trump mercilessly and he used that hostility from the media as a badge of honor to con the GOP primary voters into taking his side in Wrestlemania 2016: Trump vs Media. Trump played a savvy game: whenever he said something crazy, the media would demand an apology and Trump took delight in not giving one. The voters always rallied to his side.

I don't think that explains it all. There's the fact that enough voters liked his message. What part of it, is open to debate.

Quote:
"The story is false"? Of course it wasn't false, he cheated on his 1st wife with his 2nd wife, then he cheated on his 2nd wife with his 3rd wife and had the chutzpah to give speeches about traditional marriage. It's hard to believe that anyone would fall for that schtick, but it worked. The audience loved Gingrich for blaming the media.

Yeah, but he fell in the end, and Golden Boy will surely follow.

Remember in the campaign he suggested bankrupting the country in order to get more favorable terms on the national debt? He then stopped saying it, but his insistence in 1) building an expensive and useless wall, 2) increasing military spending, 3) increasing infrastructure spending, and 4) cutting taxes, while also 5) leaving entitlements alone, will increase the deficit and thus the debt dramatically.

In theory the GOP should oppose this. In theory, they stand for fiscal responsibility. In practice, I expect they'll stand up to him like cooked strands of spaghetti.

But there may be a few deficit hawks who will stand up to him.

It would be a nice change to see Republicans acting on principle. McCain can afford to be brave because he's on his last term and wont' run for another one.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 23rd, 2017 at 6:11:20 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: RonC
Don't most countries have "closed borders"? I am not saying physically closed, as in with a wall, but closed by law to all but those who are actually allowed to enter by that country?

Who cares if illegal aliens can't enter freely?

Trade freedom is an entirely different issue.

Depends on what you mean by closed borders. If you mean physical barriers, most advanced countries don't bother with such nonsense.

Of course, the election showed that we are not an advanced country any more.
February 24th, 2017 at 12:11:21 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Don't most countries have "closed borders"? I am not saying physically closed, as in with a wall, but closed by law to all but those who are actually allowed to enter by that country?

Who cares if illegal aliens can't enter freely?

Trade freedom is an entirely different issue.

Quote: stinkingliberal
Depends on what you mean by closed borders. If you mean physical barriers, most advanced countries don't bother with such nonsense.

Of course, the election showed that we are not an advanced country any more.

You are obviously capable of reading what I meant by closed borders in this comment--"I am not saying physically closed, as in with a wall, but closed by law to all but those who are actually allowed to enter by that country?"--is pretty darn clear. Instead of actually address the comment, you went right to the wall. I said specifically "I am not saying physically closed" to keep the wall out of the discussion.

Is this a way to dodge the issue of illegal immigration by just stating that "most advanced countries don't bother with such nonsense" to bring the wall into the equation?

Illegal immigration is a problem for this country. People are coming here illegally and they should not be allowed to stay. Come here legally or don't bother coming here at all. That is the law of the land. I don't want to hear about all the great things illegal immigrants have done and how much they have helped our society or that we should just keep'em all and let them keep coming in freely. These immigrants are not following our laws. They are here illegally.

Perhaps a wall is not a good idea. Perhaps it is too expensive. There does need to be a "virtual wall" at the very least...basically, a law that says that you don't get crap here if you come in illegally--no job, no aid, nothing but deportation back to you country of origin. You either come in--and are welcomed--under the laws of the land or you are an illegal immigrant. I know some don't become illegal until they overstay their Visa or things like that but when they do that, they are here illegally.

I'm not sure at this point whether the Democrat/Liberal folks just don't want a physical wall or if they just don't want any barrier at all to illegal immigration. They are using the wall to get around the question.

I am all for fining any company who knowingly hires illegals out of existence if they persist. I don't want the Dems to get what they want (more voters, maybe?) or the Republicans either (more money from using extra cheap labor that can't report bad conditions or crimes against them).
February 24th, 2017 at 12:21:24 AM permalink
RonC
I did get frustrated a bit yesterday by the people who post here who will gladly welcome anything one says negative about the other side but act as if nothing ever happened on their side that is negative. It is utter stupidity to write things like that and it is the mark of someone who has been completely duped by their particular side to be unable to criticize their own.

I got some good advice from another member and I get it. I always did get it; sometimes I just wondered why I had to accept it.

Some folks just write ridiculous, nasty, and insulting crap. They get their fun out of wishing death (not defeat) to their opponent. They can lie all they want in their writing; it is apparent their lives must really suck.
February 24th, 2017 at 12:34:10 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
I did get frustrated

Some folks just write ridiculous, nasty, and insulting crap. They get their fun out of wishing death (not defeat) to their opponent. They can lie all they want in their writing; it is apparent their lives must really suck.

I find it really, really hilarious that you are so nasty in your criticism of other people's supposed nastiness. Or is it OK when YOU say things like "their lives must really suck"?

I really do suspect that you are blind to your own double standard. You've been pretty nasty at times yourself. And I wonder why you take personal offense on behalf of Trump when people insult him. He's a big, orange boy, and can take care of himself.
February 24th, 2017 at 12:41:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't want to hear about all the great things illegal immigrants have done and how much they have helped our society or that we should just keep'em all and let them keep coming in freely.

Pretty unjust actually. Even the worse criminals can get testimony that may be favorable to their standing.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 24th, 2017 at 12:47:33 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Illegal immigration is a problem for this country. People are coming here illegally and they should not be allowed to stay. Come here legally or don't bother coming here at all. That is the law of the land. I don't want to hear about all the great things illegal immigrants have done and how much they have helped our society or that we should just keep'em all and let them keep coming in freely. These immigrants are not following our laws. They are here illegally.

You may not want to hear all those things, but they're true. The reason why enforcement of the immigration laws has been so lax is that these people are a net benefit to us. I KNOW the conservative mantra is that they suck up social services and produce nothing in return. The truth is the exact opposite of that--they are net producers, not consumers, of resources.

You utterly misunderstand--or deliberately misconstrue--what liberals want (ignoring for the moment that saying that all liberals want the same thing is childishly simplistic). They as a whole are as opposed to illegal immigration as you are. What they don't want is to expend massive amounts of resources to prevent it. It's not that big of a deal compared to dozens of other pressing problems we have. Just because Trump made it an issue, that doesn't mean it's worth $20 billion to try to fix it.

There is also stinking liberal outrage about the past tacit permission given to illegals to remain that is now being followed by roundup blitzkriegs. It's heavy-handed at best. Instead, announce nationwide that illegals will be given X time to apply for legal residence status, make the process of doing so easier and less costly, and then and only then send in the storm troopers. That would be the humane approach. What liberals are mad about isn't that the law is being enforced--it's the WAY it's being enforced. The knock on the door in the middle of the night is not who we are. Well, it didn't used to be, anyway.
February 24th, 2017 at 1:38:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
roundup blitzkriegs. .

What a lovely phrase. Is it yours,
did it originate with you. I'm
stealing it..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 24th, 2017 at 6:52:44 AM permalink
RonC
I find it really, really hilarious that you are so nasty in your criticism of other people's supposed nastiness. Or is it OK when YOU say things like "their lives must really suck"?

I really do suspect that you are blind to your own double standard. You've been pretty nasty at times yourself. And I wonder why you take personal offense on behalf of Trump when people insult him. He's a big, orange boy, and can take care of himself.

Just playing at your level, dude!!

I take offense not at people hating Trump but at people acting as if they can say or do anything, like wish for his death, without any decorum.

Big, orange and all that is pretty harmless and I have said little or nothing about it. Wishing his death? Calling him Hitler? I don't condone people talking like that about anyone, including our past President...I challenged people on things they said about him, too.