Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

August 20th, 2018 at 12:20:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JimRockford
No

I never saw a single episode of the
old H 5-0, I wasn't watching TV in
the 70's. The only show I saw was
Kung Fu, that's it. Shows like MASH
I saw in the 80's in reruns.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 20th, 2018 at 12:27:44 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Netflix is pissing me off. The autorun previews are annoying, and whatever they changed (or whatever changed with my internet) has it buffering wayyy to much for my tastes. If I wasn't leeching I'd kick it out of my house.

The did add Gran Torino. Can't put my finger on it, but I do love that movie.

And I think it might be Hulu, but "I, Tonya" is playing. I thought it was pretty good. Her mother is my spirit animal, she reminds me of me at work. "Lick my a$$, Diana, she can do a f#$%ing triple!" I laughed fit to split. 2 hours of white trash on parade, it's definitely worth a gander.

The People vs OJ series was also superb, IMO. The one with Gooding, JR.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 20th, 2018 at 12:46:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

The did add Gran Torino. Can't put my finger on it, but I do love that movie.

It is a well done movie. Not sure about you, but I can relate to Walt. I'm not much on "lesson" movies and TV shows, but they manage to do it without being preachy. Not afraid to show men being manly. Good flick.
The President is a fink.
August 21st, 2018 at 10:35:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Dalex64
I saw a review that said things get much better at episode 8, and I've only watched 7 episodes so far.

Matt Groening has always been a king of cultural references and one liners. Disenchantment is the first animated series he has ever done with no cultural references. As a result it can get a little boring in spots.

The last three episodes develop into more of a plot with a cliffhanger (the second series of 10 episodes was already ordered by Netflix) so it gets a little better.

Also Frey and Leela are a little more believable as a romantic couple than Bean and Elfo

August 21st, 2018 at 10:59:16 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
It is a well done movie. Not sure about you, but I can relate to Walt. I'm not much on "lesson" movies and TV shows, but they manage to do it without being preachy. Not afraid to show men being manly. Good flick.

One of the things I love about Gran Torino, it has one of those classic lines, in that Josey Wales/ Dirty Harry style that only Eastwood can deliver. I thought I'd heard the last of those.

Walt emerges from his house with a rifle to confront a neighborhood gangster causing a disturbance in his front yard.
Gangster: "Hey old man go back inside. "
Walt: "I'll put a hole in your face then I'll go back inside and sleep like a baby."

That's from memory so the line above are likely not exactly correct.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 21st, 2018 at 12:01:10 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Pacomartin
Matt Groening has always been a king of cultural references and one liners. Disenchantment is the first animated series he has ever done with no cultural references. As a result it can get a little boring in spots.

The last three episodes develop into more of a plot with a cliffhanger (the second series of 10 episodes was already ordered by Netflix) so it gets a little better.

I agree that the last three episodes, particularly the last two, were more interesting. Finally a more meaningful plot, some things that actually allow you to think along with the episode, rather than just watching something like fish swimming in a tank.

There are a lot of clever or attempting-to-be-clever things in the background. Signs and stuff like that.

I'm hoping the next 10 episodes carry forward with the meaningful storylines, rather than just wrapping up the cliffhanger and whatnot in the next episode and then resuming their drek.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
August 21st, 2018 at 2:28:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford
One of the things I love about Gran Torino, it has one of those classic lines, in that Josey Wales/ Dirty Harry style that only Eastwood can deliver. I thought I'd heard the last of those.

Walt emerges from his house with a rifle to confront a neighborhood gangster causing a disturbance in his front yard.
Gangster: "Hey old man go back inside. "
Walt: "I'll put a hole in your face then I'll go back inside and sleep like a baby."

That's from memory so the line above are likely not exactly correct.

As good is that even when Walt accepts the kid as near family he still does not want him punking his name lad car. I love how the attorneys says Walt said it, not him.
The President is a fink.
August 21st, 2018 at 2:45:01 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
As good is that even when Walt accepts the kid as near family he still does not want him punking his name lad car. I love how the attorneys says Walt said it, not him.
I really enjoyed that movie, and I'm really glad some group isn't pounding the racist drum about it.

Funny how Walt and the barber gave each other crap and Walt told the kid, "now you man up and try it". That is how a lot of people in the trades were. No racism intended, just be a man and have a good life you earn.

America has pc'd itself to death.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 21st, 2018 at 3:33:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Dalex64
There are a lot of clever or attempting-to-be-clever things in the background. Signs and stuff like that.

You have to hand it to the guy for trying something new. He's worth like a half a billion dollars and is in his 60's. He could coast on the Simpson's the rest of his life.
August 21st, 2018 at 3:48:41 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Pacomartin
You have to hand it to the guy for trying something new. He's worth like a half a billion dollars and is in his 60's. He could coast on the Simpson's the rest of his life.

Google for references and Easter eggs, apparently a number of them have been spotted.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan