Streaming Recommendations (Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc.)

Page 1 of 1751234>Last »
March 23rd, 2015 at 11:02:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I recommend
Dollhouse- was a 2 year low rated series written by Joss Whedon about people who volunteer for 5 years to be living dolls (i.e. memory is wiped clean and they are programmed with skill sets and rented out to wealthy clients for their whims). First few seasons are a little repetitive, but don't give up. The series finds itself as a "conspiracy tale".

Eliza Dushku (DUSH-koo) started on Buffy the Vampire slayer at the age of 17 as Faith, the sometimes evil slayer. She played the role for 20 episodes on Buffy, and another 6 on Angel. Amy Acker (from Angel) is another Joss whedon favorite.
March 23rd, 2015 at 11:27:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I lasted 10min on Marco, slow and lackluster.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 23rd, 2015 at 11:33:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
Eliza Dushku
You mean there is a plot? I have to look at her with the sound on?
March 23rd, 2015 at 12:32:31 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Pan? I know several definitions, but not one that makes sense in this context. Reading comprehension leads me to believe it's the opposite of "recommendation".

Recommend: The Blue Planet. Fantastic oceanic documentary by Attenborough. One of the best ever, second only to "Life", which was narrated by Oprah.

Oddball recommend - Hoarders. Quite possibly the scariest thing I've ever watched. Dunno what it is about it, but it makes me very uncomfortable.

Left field Recommend - Uncle Grandpa. It's one of those kid's cartoons that make you wonder if you're not doing severe and irreversible damage to you and your child by watching it. It's like a powerful acid trip, and I can't stop laughing. It is stupidity taken to the insane.

Pan - Pretty much everything else =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 23rd, 2015 at 12:42:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I recommend "Cleopatra" but only if 1) you're a history buff (it's reasonably accurate) or 2) really like Liz Taylor (she did a very good job).

I don't recommend the sequel to TRON. Get the DVD of the original instead. It's a much better movie in every way.

I wish they had more seasons of Mythbusters, as well as the full runs of Stargate, Pinky and the Brain, Mission: Impossible (the original 60s series).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 23rd, 2015 at 1:00:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
critics are said to "pan" something if the reviews(US) or notices(UK) are not favorable.

I'm told the term relates to relegating something to 'Tin Pan Alley' meaning of low quality, penny arcade type stuff rather than "real theater" but I've never understood that as a sensible derivation of the term.
March 23rd, 2015 at 9:03:31 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
I'm told the term relates to relegating something to 'Tin Pan Alley' meaning of low quality, penny arcade type stuff rather than "real theater" but I've never understood that as a sensible derivation of the term.

The equating of "pan" to mean "criticize severely" is from 1911, but it's derivation is somewhat speculative. It contradicts the "pan out" which means to succeed from the California Gold Rush days. "Picks and Pans" is a fairly commonly used phrase.

Eliza Dushku does for Albanians what Mila Kunis does for Ukranians
March 23rd, 2015 at 9:40:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
A pick is "Foyle's War" which has been running off and on since 2002 on BBC. Foyle is the inspector who was left behind in the war, to be a small town policeman in Hastings on the southern coast. The writer was slowly working his way through WWII month by month when the series was cancelled. He was forced to rush through the remainder of the war. But ratings soared so he was forced to move into Cold War territory.

In some ways it is typically revisionist, picturing gay rights and other more modern issues in the 1940's. But it is a little blunt in portraying small town British as profiteers, cowards, and zenophobes. Some American soldiers don't come off very well either. As the series gets more popular, the budget increases and it assumes more of a James Bond texture.Honey Suckle Weeks grows up on the series.
March 23rd, 2015 at 10:00:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Profiteers cowards and xenophobes...
The UK had a great problem with hoarding and ration coupon counterfeiting. Women hired as farm laborers were often exploited. Black market gasoline was a cottage industry despite military gas and civilian gas being different colors and any blending being a third color.

Americans were universally described as Over Paid, Over Sexed and Over Here.

One sergeant asked if he could take military gas leaking from a near empty tank. He received permission but when tested at a roadblock his blended color revealed he had military gas in a civilian vehicle and he was dismissed from the service.

One German plane landed on a beach and an officer placed guards on it with orders to not let anyone near it. So when a unit showed up to examine the plane for technology or codebooks they were kept away at gun point and when it was pointed out the tide would soon take the plane they were not permitted to drag it to higher ground because the guards orders were simple; keep people away from it.

Its good to see that Foyle's War still has some traces of real world activities.
March 23rd, 2015 at 10:06:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin

In some ways it is typically revisionist, picturing gay rights and other more modern issues in the 1940's.

I hate HATE when they do that. It's done
about blacks all the time now in the US.
Rewrite history and it takes the truth out
of it. No, black NY police detectives (if
there even were any) were not given the
same respect as white detectives in the
1940's. It's a fantasy. As late as the mid
60's, Sammy Davis jr could work in a
Strip hotel, but he couldn't gamble or
stay there. I remember those days, it
was grim for blacks.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 1751234>Last »