Pot Legalized

October 13th, 2014 at 5:07:54 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: petroglyph
Quote: AcesAndEights
Wow, I actually found it! Credit where credit is due, Evenbob was not making this up (as I assumed he was).

Link to study.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but a couple of the bullet points at the top refer to teen marijuana use. I do believe this is a problem, as the effects of drugs on the brain, including weed, are incredibly dangerous on young people. Damaging the brain during its developmental years is not good...Dr. Drew rails on this on Loveline all the time. I haven't read the literature, but I think the danger to your brain's development starts to taper off around 16...so even late teen use isn't that bad. But kids 12, 13, 14 smoking weed or taking ecstasy or other hallucinogens...really bad.

That being said, I still favor legalized marijuana. There is a risk that more kids will smoke, sure. But I believe it is outweighed by the other benefits of legalization.

Parents, talk to your kids about drugs, and alcohol...

The study is just another lie, and so littered with false claims that it will do as much good at stopping serious drug use as did the film "Reefer Madness"

Wow, you'll need to break it down better than that glib throw away response.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 13th, 2014 at 6:11:19 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
brain development and football, wrestling and motorcycle riding?

brain development and beer drinking, Red Bull gorging, etc.?
October 13th, 2014 at 8:02:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: TheCesspit
Wow, I actually found it! Credit where credit is due, Evenbob was not making this up (as I assumed he was).

Link to study.

I haven't read the whole article yet, but a couple of the bullet points at the top refer to teen marijuana use. I do believe this is a problem, as the effects of drugs on the brain, including weed, are incredibly dangerous on young people. Damaging the brain during its developmental years is not good...Dr. Drew rails on this on Loveline all the time. I haven't read the literature, but I think the danger to your brain's development starts to taper off around 16...so even late teen use isn't that bad. But kids 12, 13, 14 smoking weed or taking ecstasy or other hallucinogens...really bad.

That being said, I still favor legalized marijuana. There is a risk that more kids will smoke, sure. But I believe it is outweighed by the other benefits of legalization.

The study is just another lie, and so littered with false claims that it will do as much good at stopping serious drug use as did the film "Reefer Madness"

Imo, the study is slanted against mj. It reminds me of the false representation of an anti drug movie called "reefer madness" have you seen it? If your contention here is with the one statement of mine which is quoted and determined as a throw away glib statement, then am I to assume you support this article enitirely?

Maybe the word "lie" isn't the most accurate word had I taken more time and thought longer? Maybe inaccurate, or misleading would be better?

So, my point is I get tired of the same old bullcrap arguments about weed. In the study it says 1 in 6 young people that use mj will become dependent on it.
I disagree, don't you? Do you wish to support that statement?

this:‘"It is often harder to get people who are dependent on cannabis through withdrawal than for heroin – we just don’t know how to do it." Do you think this accurate?

I can't see the value really in me going much further at this point if your answer to these question is yes. I don't believe we will be able to come to any agreement nor would I try to flatter myself to believe that I can change your mind if this is the case.

Did you read the rest of my post? I thought I represented my beliefs pretty well actually and Bob comes back with an entire lol, and you inform me I will need to break it down for you. Waiting.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 13th, 2014 at 8:31:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Imo, the study is slanted against mj. .

No, it's not. It didn't start out to prove anything
one way or the other, it's just reporting the facts
as they found them. You don't like the facts,
so it's 'slanted'.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 13th, 2014 at 9:07:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
Imo, the study is slanted against mj. .

No, it's not. It didn't start out to prove anything
one way or the other, it's just reporting the facts
as they found them. You don't like the facts,
so it's 'slanted'.

lol

http://youtu.be/5_UbAmRGSYw

click it, it will take you 2 whole minutes
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 13th, 2014 at 11:15:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: TheCesspit

Link to study.

Imo, the study is slanted against mj. It reminds me of the false representation of an anti drug movie called "reefer madness" have you seen it? If your contention here is with the one statement of mine which is quoted and determined as a throw away glib statement, then am I to assume you support this article enitirely?

Maybe the word "lie" isn't the most accurate word had I taken more time and thought longer? Maybe inaccurate, or misleading would be better?

So, my point is I get tired of the same old bullcrap arguments about weed. In the study it says 1 in 6 young people that use mj will become dependent on it.
I disagree, don't you? Do you wish to support that statement?

this:‘"It is often harder to get people who are dependent on cannabis through withdrawal than for heroin – we just don’t know how to do it." Do you think this accurate?

I can't see the value really in me going much further at this point if your answer to these question is yes. I don't believe we will be able to come to any agreement nor would I try to flatter myself to believe that I can change your mind if this is the case.

Did you read the rest of my post? I thought I represented my beliefs pretty well actually and Bob comes back with an entire lol, and you inform me I will need to break it down for you. Waiting.

I've not done a twenty year research paper on MJ. I've not done a years research on drugs dependency. I am sure there are other papers that don't agree with this paper. I would be surprised if MJ is harder to than Heroin. But having never studied either, or tried to kick a heroin habit or MJ habit, I can't examine if it's really true.

It's one paper. The Daily Mail will gladly seize on anything that promotes it's agenda (I dunno about FOX and MSNBC, but the Daily Fail is a terrible paper for objective news reporting), so the -source- of the report is biased... but it's repeated elsewhere in other journals. Having not seen the original work, I can't comment.

So I am merely surprised you claim it's 'a lie' without picking out substantive parts of the report itself, or the journalism reporting it to tell me what parts are lies. Now you say it's slanted or gives a false representation. Possibly so, possibly not. Which parts? Was the experimental method unsound? Does it use bad data, or bad assumptions? Which facts used are badly interpreted?

Hence my challenge. It's possible the same old bull crap has some justifications.

In general, the info I know says that MJ isn't the harm bucket some would make it out to be. It is a drug that can cause dependency on the effects (rather than the drug itself) from my limited experience, but a lot of people use it responsibly and/or move on. I'd prefer twenty stoners to one meth head (and that's probably the ration right here on Canada's pot coast). Considering human history is littered with people eating, smoking or drinking something to change their reality, cannabis seems to be another like booze, cigarettes or aspirin.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 21st, 2014 at 5:20:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
First fracture in legal pot as Colorado thinks about banning edibles.

Now, we were told how safe the stuff is and that it was "impossible" to OD. Might not be the case. I am still of the "decriminalize, not legalize" camp where we just lower the charge for most possessions to a a summary-offense traffic ticket that doesn't go on your record. But to want to legalize on the basis of "harmless" or "alcohol is more dangerous" is ringing more and more hollow.
The President is a fink.
October 21st, 2014 at 11:15:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman

Now, we were told how safe the stuff is and that it was "impossible" to OD. Might not be the case. I am still of the "decriminalize, not legalize" camp where we just lower the charge for most possessions to a a summary-offense traffic ticket that doesn't go on your record. But to want to legalize on the basis of "harmless" or "alcohol is more dangerous" is ringing more and more hollow.

I think it's proper just as alcohol in different forms is sometimes treated differently by local laws. Sometimes you have events where only beer is served.

People still die from alcohol poisoning downing bottles of hard liquor in "chugging" contests. The concentration of a drug and the ability to consume it quickly shouldn't be ignored in laws, and how a community regulates it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 21st, 2014 at 11:23:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Hypothetical comparing pot and alcohol.

Your rich uncle dies and leaves you a luxury million dollar beach house. The only weird stipulation to receiving the property is you must choose between two groups who are going to use it every weekend all summer. Whatever remains of the place and any needed repairs is yours at the end of the summer.

The first group is a dozen heavy smoking young potheads.
The second group is a dozen heavy drinking young alcoholics.

Neither does the other drug.

Choose wisely.

Here's a recent quote from 80 year old Willie Nelson. Smoking cigarettes hurt his lungs. Alcohol made him crazy. Pot mellowed him out.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 21st, 2014 at 11:36:58 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman

I'm not sure I get it.

I didn't see anything "dangerous" in that link. Just seems they want to differentiate pot vs wholesome so kids don't get into it.

As far as OD'ing, I think we have a good thousand years+ of use without one reported case. Given a choice of one mystery pill or a whole tray of pot brownies, I know which one I'd not freak over my kid eating.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.