Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Imagine all those poor kids being lied
to by nuns telling them they were the
brides of Jesus. What a sick church.
Priests after the young boys, and the
nuns lying to them. No wonder there
are so many screwed up Catholics.

Padre, was this why you missed EB while he blocked you?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 24th, 2018 at 5:53:09 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Mary Magdeline was extremely important, there should be female priests, the first pope was married, therefore there should be a female married pope.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 24th, 2018 at 6:16:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Dalex64
Mary Magdeline was extremely important, there should be female priests, the first pope was married, therefore there should be a female married pope.

For what little it's worth (nothing) I respect any religion to set its own rules as long as its members aren't hurting anybody.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 24th, 2018 at 6:33:54 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67

B does not follow from A in both cases.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 24th, 2018 at 6:36:15 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Wizard
Padre, was this why you missed EB while he blocked you?

I really wish he would block me again. I also wish he wouldn't always misconstrue what I say. I also wish he wasn't so wrong all the time. I also wish he would realize that the Church he thinks he hates is a figment of his imagination and a lie that he has been fed for many, many years. But we can't always get what we wish for.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 24th, 2018 at 7:30:56 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
There shouldn't be women priests because none of the firsts priests are female is just as strong a reason as no priests should enter the priesthood after 30 because none of the first priests started over 30.

Add to the list: all priests should convert from judiasm. Most priests should be fishermen before they are priests.

"all priests are men because jesus' deciples were men" is completely ludicrous. Women of the time did not have that sort of position, period, at the time, so of course he only had men.

That is the same kind of reasoning you can use to keep women from driving, from voting, or doing anything but staying home and raising children. While that it is a fine thing for women to do, I do not think it is the only thing that women should be allowed to do. The Catholic Church keeping women from the priesthood to me is this exact same regressive policy designed to keep women in their "proper place."

So yeah, I tied the two things together. The first pope was married therefore popes and priests should be allowed to marry.

All priests are the time were men, because of tradition of society and the times, but that is not a reason to keep it that way therefore women should be allowed to be priests.

I combined that into the "therefore there should be allowed to be a married female pope"
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 24th, 2018 at 7:51:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
There shouldn't be women priests because none of the firsts priests are female is just as strong a reason as no priests should enter the priesthood after 30 because none of the first priests started over 30.

I disagree and think you are still equating the importance of our age to our gender. Again I ask do you think your current age is equal to your gender in importance?

Quote:
Add to the list: all priests should convert from judiasm. Most priests should be fishermen before they are priests.

This is where your argument leads you not mine. Also the Council of Jerusalem decided on the converting from Judaism issue. You can read about it in the Acts of the Apostles. It's a good example of the Church decided something that Jesus left up to them.

Quote:
"all priests are men because jesus' deciples were men" is completely ludicrous.

I kind of agree with you, that is why you have to discuss this in the context of the Sacramentality of Holy Orders.

Quote:
Women of the time did not have that sort of position, period, at the time, so of course he only had men.

Simplistic. Think of all the cultural barriers that Jesus broke. From working on the Sabbath, to eating with tax collectors and sinners, having His greatest and most faithful disciples women, having women be the first witnesses of the Resurrection, etc., etc. It is obvious that Jesus did not do things just because of the time period He was in.

Quote:
That is the same kind of reasoning you can use to keep women from driving,

Come on, that is ridiculous. Can you explain your reasoning here a little better.

Quote:
The first pope was married therefore popes and priests should be allowed to marry.

Again B does not follow from A.
May 24th, 2018 at 8:30:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
For what little it's worth (nothing) I respect any religion to set its own rules as long as its members aren't hurting anybody.

You want a list of who the Catholics have
been hurt physically and emotionally? It's
a long one, and getting longer. Every
bishop in Chile recently resigned in a
sex scandal.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2018 at 8:39:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble

. But we can't always get what we wish for.

I wish I could share some of the PM's
I get regarding you from people who admire
me challenging your religion. You want
me blocked, block me. It works both
ways. I refuse to let you spew poppycock
and pass it off as truth. I'm sick of the
Vatican trying to rewrite it's awful history.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 24th, 2018 at 8:44:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
the context of the Sacramentality of Holy Orders.

Meaningless words that give the Church
an excuse to do whatever it likes to
whoever it likes. Just make it about a
phony baloney god and it's out of
your hands, right? More and more the
world is seeing the Church for what
it really is and it's crumbling from the
inside, as always happens when there's
nothing but hot air holding something
together.