5 votes (22.72%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

March 18th, 2015 at 3:16:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm proud to announce that the 50-mile challenge was a success!!!

Here are some details:

Miles: 52.7
Total time: 7:30.
Riding time: 7:04.
Average pace (including stops): 7.03 MPH.
Average pace (not including stops): 7.46 MPH.
Elevation gain: 1,562 feet.

You can see the route and details in my Strava entry. I also made a GoPro video but the battery ran out before I finished. Still, I'll upload what I did record later.

This just goes to show what an old geezer can do! Thank you for all the support and good wishes. I'll now take questions from the audience.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 18th, 2015 at 3:32:19 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Good god. As someone who frequently brags and boasts about his sporting capabilities, you got me beat, and it ain't even close. The fact that I focus on explosiveness rather than stamina is no excuse. I am amazed.

Even on bike, I think my biggest ride was mid 30 miles, and that was huge to me. This done as a non-smoking, peak-of-physical-presence 16yr old. I did 20 miles over the course of a week last summer, and it wrecked me. 50mi on a uni, at age 50? GOOD FOR YOU! =D

First question? What was it like? Having a severe fear of marathon type activities, I can only image you collapsing at the finish and not being able to move for a lunar month, as that's probably what I'd do. And Paco's warnings all during the lead up have me wondering.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 18th, 2015 at 3:38:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I also made a GoPro video but the battery ran out before I finished. Still, I'll upload what I did record later.

Please edit out the usual dead bums,
skeletons along the road, and urinating
homeless. Thanks..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 18th, 2015 at 3:43:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Face
...50mi on a uni, at age 50? GOOD FOR YOU! =D

Thank you very much! Normally at this point I would deflect the praise, but I must say that I'm pretty proud of myself, and will take it!

Quote:
First question? What was it like? Having a severe fear of marathon type activities, I can only image you collapsing at the finish and not being able to move for a lunar month, as that's probably what I'd do. And Paco's warnings all during the lead up have me wondering.

I'm an endurance kind of guy. Sudden bursts of athletic excellence is not my thing. My strong point is my stamina (except in the bedroom *ahem*). Any kind of game with a ball and you would see why I was always picked last or almost last in PE.

The ending was kind of anti-climactic. I was tired but it wasn't like I was on fumes. I could have gone another mile or two if necessary.

When I put together the video hopefully you'll understand how it felt. I've done other big endurance things in the areas of hiking, running, and bicycling, so it wasn't like this was climbing Mt Everest for me, but I'm proud to add it to my resume.

I appreciate all of Paco's concern and I took some of his advice in the challenge. However, I'm not one to overthink these things and believe it mostly comes down to strength and will power.
March 18th, 2015 at 4:00:55 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard

The ending was kind of anti-climactic. I was tired but it wasn't like I was on fumes. I could have gone another mile or two if necessary.

When I put together the video hopefully you'll understand how it felt. I've done other big endurance things in the areas of hiking, running, and bicycling, so it wasn't like this was climbing Mt Everest for me, but I'm proud to add it to my resume.

Other than the obvious conditioning and practice, what was the prep like?

I know the activities are very apples and oranges, but my only "endurance feats" come in tournament hockey, where I'll play between 3 to 8 full games over the course of about 60 hours. The "strain" differences in our sports isn't the issue; no matter how pulled or tight I am, a warm up skate is enough to rid all of that. But although I can get passed the "pain", the energy issue is one I've never been able to solve. One time, after a full tourney that found us in the championship game that went into overtime and then had to be settled in a shootout, I fell down during my shootout attempt because I just couldn't lift my leg that one more time.

I do try to "carbo load", often gaining 5 lbs in the week leading up to it. And all five pounds and then some are gone by the time I head home. How did you keep up your energy for 50 miles?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 18th, 2015 at 4:21:42 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I did put on about five pounds in the month leading up to this. It would be easy to say that I was building up an energy reserve, but I think I was looking for any excuse to eat more. Last night I ate a big Saint Patrick's day dinner, which did include some pasta per my request. The whole week before I didn't do any big rides, just a few moderate ones. It is my understanding you're supposed to taper off your training the last week so you're like a compressed spring, ready to go, when the big day comes.

To answer your second question, I drank 3 full liters of Gatorade. I was beginning to feel like I was in the movie Idiocracy and craved some plain water, but I didn't bring any. I didn't eat that much. Part of a large bag of Chex Mix, two little bags of gummy bears, some chocolate covered peanuts. I think that's it. I finished the ride with a lot of uneaten food. Usually when I do something huge I don't eat a lot, as I find it consumes energy to digest it rather than give me energy.
March 18th, 2015 at 5:44:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
5 pounds in a month is a lot for
a skinny guy like you. That's an
extra 600 calories a day that
turned to fat. You have to eat
more than an extra 600 because
you burn some of it off.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 18th, 2015 at 8:33:20 PM permalink
miplet
Threads: 8
Quote: YouTube
This video has been removed because it is too long.

Even YouTube though it was boring. :+)
"...remind me of clue: Colonel Mustard in the billiard room with the candlestick."- Derek Morgan
March 18th, 2015 at 8:45:08 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: miplet
Even YouTube though it was boring. :+)

My account didn't have "long video" privileges but should now. However, I need to upload it again, which takes about two hours.
March 18th, 2015 at 10:48:07 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Nice one, Mr Shackleford, let me know where to send funds for your reward!
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life