2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

March 19th, 2015 at 4:49:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: TheCesspit
Nice one, Mr Shackleford, let me know where to send funds for your reward!

Thanks!

Okay, here is the video. I hope it's not too boring for you.

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWaeo7y2qZE&feature=youtu.be.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 19th, 2015 at 8:15:58 AM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
CONGRATULATIONS From one old geezer to another. What do I dislike most about being old?
When young girls hurry to hold open a door for me !!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
March 19th, 2015 at 8:55:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: buzzardknot
CONGRATULATIONS From one old geezer to another. What do I dislike most about being old?

Thank you! Maybe how certain body parts are drooping.
March 19th, 2015 at 1:50:54 PM permalink
Beeknot
Threads: 0
Quote: buzzardknot

lol
Friend of buzzardknot :)
March 19th, 2015 at 2:18:48 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard

To answer your second question, I drank 3 full liters of Gatorade. I was beginning to feel like I was in the movie Idiocracy and craved some plain water, but I didn't bring any. I didn't eat that much. Part of a large bag of Chex Mix, two little bags of gummy bears, some chocolate covered peanuts. I think that's it. I finished the ride with a lot of uneaten food. Usually when I do something huge I don't eat a lot, as I find it consumes energy to digest it rather than give me energy.

You ate this while you rode? Where did you carry it?

I'm the same way with eating in the midst. I know I need to replace the spent energy, but eating makes me heavy, lazy, and want to sleep. I usually pregame with chocolate milk, a banana, and other carb and electrolyte filled "light" food, but then don't usually eat much the rest of the day until the competition is complete. After the day's work is done, then it's madness at the table with steaks and burgers and potatoes and anything else, as I'm ravenous. But unless it's as light and and as small as one piece of fruit, I cannot eat within 4-6 hours of game time. To do so is torture.

At least my light snacks are during downtime. I couldn't imagine trying to eat a banana and drink a Gatorade while doing warmup laps on the ice XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 19th, 2015 at 2:42:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Face
You ate this while you rode? Where did you carry it?

I wore a backpack. I have one of those Camel Bags, or whatever they're called, to drink through a straw from a bladder in the back. Yes, I also ate while I rode. I found that all those street crossings cut down on my need for deliberate breaks.
March 19th, 2015 at 3:10:57 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Thank you! Maybe how certain body parts are drooping.

Best straight line since Bud Abbott retired. But I promised to be on my best behavior....SIGH
March 19th, 2015 at 3:32:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I appreciate all of Paco's concern and I took some of his advice in the challenge. However, I'm not one to overthink these things and believe it mostly comes down to strength and will power.

It won't take ten hours. I think between 6 and 7.

Congratulations, Mike. I voted right away that you would accomplish your goal, and am very impressed with your will power. You obviously made it through without reaching your lactose threshold.

But I would like to point out, that you originally framed this challenge on a wheel with 20% less circumference. So I was overthinking it a little, but I think you were underthinking at the beginning.

I was always told that those people that finish the marathon in 6-7 hours are possibly in more pain than the ones that finish in four. The slow speed does not mean that it is easy.
March 19th, 2015 at 4:48:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Congratulations, Mike. I voted right away that you would accomplish your goal, and am very impressed with your will power. You obviously made it through without reaching your lactose threshold.

Thank you!

Quote:
But I would like to point out, that you originally framed this challenge on a wheel with 20% less circumference. So I was overthinking it a little, but I think you were underthinking at the beginning.

Yes, I almost forgot that was my intent at the time. When I initially posted this thread, I thought a 29" wheel WAS big.

Quote:
I was always told that those people that finish the marathon in 6-7 hours are possibly in more pain than the ones that finish in four. The slow speed does not mean that it is easy.

I definitely believe that. Those who take 6-7 are likely struggling to finish at all, while those who finish in four are well trained and probably run them all the time.
March 19th, 2015 at 9:00:51 PM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Thanks for the video, Mike. It was fun to watch. Congratulations.