petroglyph
Threads: 25
He is acting. They are all actors. Welcome to the people farm. zh
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 7th, 2015 at 10:21:35 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
Curious, and this is not a rhetorical question...

We all (Americans) often spout the cliche "Freedom isn't free". Generally, it's to point out the sacrifices of our men and women of the military. But do all of you (or all of them) think it stops there?

I have the freedom of free market capitalism. I could start a venture that compromises or even cripples your own. My actions could financially ruin you and your entire family, yet it's not a hot button issue.

I have the freedom of free travel. I could obtain a northern bug and vacation in Florida where our stout infections could wipe out scores of compromised old folks, yet it's not a hot button issue.

I have the freedom of choice, and could buy an 800hp Z51 'Vette. No one "needs" it, there's no reason to have a car capable of 210mph when the max continental limit is 70. But I could get one, and I can tromp, and I can lose control (as oh so many do), yet it's not a hot button issue.

I can destroy the finances of the medical industry and make you pay for it. They'll make a bit off Wiz, healthy, active, non smoker that he is, but here I am with an ER EZPass, popping vikes, tearing tissues, and smoking like the Springfield tire fire. Not an issue.

I guess I just don't get it. I and mine are under the same threats from wayward guns, wayward gunners, and the insane. I look at it as the cost of doing business. I might not like (and I don't) the 19yr old kid whose daddy just bought him a Hellcat, but I accept that I must share the road with him and may get caught up in his exuberance. I might get sick from an Ontarian, might get put out of work by FedEX. It's all just life. I do my best to protect myself, but one of the town junkies might cap me with an off the grid pistol over the $8.17 in my pocket. I find no difference in any of these examples.

My question is - Why do you?

Americans focus on what pollsters and Talking Heads tell them to. Just look back to the woman running for governor who lost because the opposition drummed up a ridiculous issue of she shouldn't be governor because she had never been in the military and didn't know to operate a tank, much less the entire state's National Guard.

If it bleeds, it leads.
HIGH CRIME no matter what the facts actually are.
TEACHERS are Gods no matter what the facts are.
You shall swill the pablum that is provided to you.
December 8th, 2015 at 2:54:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined

These are obvious nuts. They own guns. = gun nuts
What do you call them?

Depends. Some I would call criminals. Zimmerman I would call the guy on neighborhood watch. The ones from last week I call muslim terrorists.

So, is a person who kills someone with a car and is nuts a "car nut?"
The President is a fink.
December 8th, 2015 at 12:21:27 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Zimmerman I would call the guy on neighborhood watch.

Zimm is a NUT. The police came to his door and he refused to answer
Nobody wants this clown on their neighborhood Watch
He is extremely disrespectful to the police

"When police banged on the door, Zimmerman refused to answer but agreed to speak to an officer on the phone before the call ended."

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/news/george-zimmerman-accused-of-assaulting-girlfriend-with-gun/article_e86bd11e-1eef-5856-81fb-133ea14420e6.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 9th, 2015 at 6:48:34 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Fleastiff
You shall swill the pablum that is provided to you.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-hears-arguments-on-affirmative-action-for-college-admission/

"Still torn over race, the Supreme Court on Wednesday weighed whether it's time to end the use of race in college admissions nationwide -- or at least at the University of Texas."
December 10th, 2015 at 2:52:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/supreme-court-hears-arguments-on-affirmative-action-for-college-admission/

"Still torn over race, the Supreme Court on Wednesday weighed whether it's time to end the use of race in college admissions nationwide -- or at least at the University of Texas."

SCOTUS is afraid to say we should stop using skin color to determine things. They wimped out in 2002 and put a 20 year "expiration date" on a ruling of sorts.

Race is important to colleges for some reason.
The President is a fink.
December 10th, 2015 at 4:15:11 AM permalink
terapined
SCOTUS is afraid to say we should stop using skin color to determine things. They wimped out in 2002 and put a 20 year "expiration date" on a ruling of sorts.

This is a problem
Ivy League colleges should be filled with qualified Asians
Instead, under qualified whites are being admitted over more qualified Asians
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 10th, 2015 at 6:13:40 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
North of the border, our best universities are filled with qualified Asians. Just walk around my daughter's university at the University of Toronto. 25% of the students are international and a great number of the undergraduates are Asian (no statistics available).

A report by Princeton showed that Asians needed an extra 140 points on the SATs to be on equal footing with white applicants. In California where there is no affirmative action or barriers based on race, 40% of the students are Asian.
December 10th, 2015 at 6:41:08 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: boymimbo
North of the border, our best universities are filled with qualified Asians. Just walk around my daughter's university at the University of Toronto. 25% of the students are international and a great number of the undergraduates are Asian (no statistics available).

A report by Princeton showed that Asians needed an extra 140 points on the SATs to be on equal footing with white applicants. In California where there is no affirmative action or barriers based on race, 40% of the students are Asian.

Here is the problem
Conservatives howl when they perceive a white being denied admission over a less qualified black
yet
They never speak up when an Asian is being denied admission over a less qualified white
December 10th, 2015 at 8:37:48 AM permalink
petroglyph

Isn't that what Scalia is saying in the link?