In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 7th, 2015 at 5:13:07 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
I think Trump just blew his campaign out of the water with his comments on Muslim immigration today. Republicans must be shuddering: a candidate who if he wins the nomination has no chance to get elected.
December 7th, 2015 at 5:17:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
I think Trump just blew his campaign out of the water with his comments on Muslim immigration today. Republicans must be shuddering: a candidate who if he wins the nomination has no chance to get elected.

Only if you believe that most people favor illegal immigration and want a flood of muslims coming into the USA. Every time Trump makes a comment that the left and the media thinks will kill his chances he just gets stronger. This is because people are dying for real leadership and someone who does not just say what they want to hear.
The President is a fink.
December 7th, 2015 at 5:38:33 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Only if you believe that most people favor illegal immigration and want a flood of muslims coming into the USA. Every time Trump makes a comment that the left and the media thinks will kill his chances he just gets stronger. This is because people are dying for real leadership and someone who does not just say what they want to hear.

Well, banning Muslims entering the country will increase illegal immigration, as people will enter without a declaration of their faith, and therefore enter illegally.

It's a dumb idea that's impractical. What is practical would be shut down the borders to certain countries (or a very long list) which Trump has decided are on his bad boys list. Also, lets remember the constitution:

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

and

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Republicans have to uphold that central document as well as the Democrats. The Tea Party is big on that, as I understand it.

Now, you'll say that non-US citizens would not be subject to the constitution. Sure, but your existing citizens are availed of these rights, and it's really not clear from Trump's rhetoric that he limits this to new immigration.

His language is scary, and really has shades of the 30's in Germany. Course, many people will clap and go along with it. ISIS for one.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 7th, 2015 at 5:48:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
Well, banning Muslims entering the country will increase illegal immigration, as people will enter without a declaration of their faith, and therefore enter illegally.

There is no right to immigrate to the USA or even enter it if you are not a citizen.

While not totally practical to simply say "no muslims" a good start is shutting immigration from muslim countries. Hillary will not even say "islamic terrorism" so will be a clear choice.
The President is a fink.
December 7th, 2015 at 6:50:30 PM permalink
TheCesspit
There is no right to immigrate to the USA or even enter it if you are not a citizen.

I acknowledged that. However, limiting the movemnet of people based on religion is difficult, tricky and won't be without it's problems.

Quote:
While not totally practical to simply say "no muslims" a good start is shutting immigration from muslim countries. Hillary will not even say "islamic terrorism" so will be a clear choice.

Exactly the tack Trump -should- go far if he was sane and reasonable and wanted something that might work. I pointed that out.

But he didn't. He wants to create registers of Muslims.

And in this case, he's not even being accused of things the media thinks he said.... he actually said these things.

He's a buffoon. If he gets in, you deserve him. People generally get the leaders they deserve.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
December 7th, 2015 at 6:54:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: boymimbo

Paraphrasing:

No one ever went broke overestimating the bigotry of the Republican "base."

In general the more any candidate panders to their party's "base," the lower their chances of getting elected. Though overall the state of the economy determines the winner when a known candidate runs against a not-well-known and weak candidate.

IN other words, Clinton should easily defeat Trump, if it comes to that, assuming a good economy. If the economy tanks between now and mid-2016, then Trump, if it comes to that, has a better than even chance of ending the world.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 7th, 2015 at 6:56:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit

He's a buffoon. If he gets in, you deserve him. People generally get the leaders they deserve.

Explains what we have now I will give you that.

As to Trump, if he gets the GOP not he gets my vote.
The President is a fink.
December 7th, 2015 at 7:16:48 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Explains what we have now I will give you that.

Sauce for goose is good for gander too :)

Quote:
As to Trump, if he gets the GOP not he gets my vote.

I am in no way surprised. However, I have no idea who the GOP has that competes right now. Which is truly terrible for the 'Grand Old' Party.
December 7th, 2015 at 7:17:28 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
What exactly is a "gun nut?" And why are they a danger in your neighborhood? Are you in a gang-infested neighborhood or something?

If you don't attack Zimmerman chances are no harm will come to you.

A gun nut is somebody that is nuts and owns a gun.
A lot of nuts in the world. No doubt about that.
We live in a society where it is easy to get a gun
Therefore a nut that owns a gun is a gun nut
Adam Lanza - gun nut
CO theater shooting- gun nut
The Planned Parenthood shooting - gun nut
Zimmerman is unbalanced. Its hard to get the police called on you. Never happens to me. Zimmerman, he has because he's a nut. He owns a gun. He's a local gun nut.

These are obvious nuts. They own guns. = gun nuts
What do you call them?
The odds getting killed by a gun nut much greater then terrorism
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 7th, 2015 at 7:19:17 PM permalink
TheCesspit
The problem there is either the nuts or the guns. The Democrats tell you it's the guns. The Republican's seem to say the problem is solve by non-nuts having guns.

In broad generalizations. The right can't possibly have more state care for the nuts, as socialized health care (mental or physical) is an anathema to their contests against Obama. The left can't have guns in the hands of their citizens, as that's an anathema to their contests for control.

I think trying to take away the guns is not going to work down their. So perhaps everyone should start looking at solving the nuts problem instead.