In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 17th, 2021 at 8:40:52 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Mission146
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Sounds like a built-in attempt at an insanity defense.

brb, gonna go take care of my alcohol addiction by murdering several local bartenders.

/s
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 17th, 2021 at 1:33:39 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Mission146
Well, that's also kind of a problem.

It's really as simple as this: People who commit violent crimes are violent criminals.

People who commit violent crimes that are, in any way, motivated by race have committed a violent hate crime.

Being concerned with the proportions of people to commit violent hate crimes, whether that concern extends to race, political or religious beliefs (as much as I loathe to add the last one) is detrimental as it just breeds further animosity between groups and cements what views of other groups some people might already have.

So, someone either commits a violent crime or they do not. We should all be able to just agree that nobody should commit violent crimes and leave it at that. Anything beyond that very simple concurrence is unproductive.
I usually ponder when in the news someone asks the rhetorical question about a murder or multiple murders whether or not it is a "hate crime". I think all murder is a hate crime.

What was the societal benefit of declaring something, hate crime or no hate crime? I think it was about the ability to give lengthier sentences. It's stupid imo. Then the justice system when sentencing a murderer has to vascillate about whether or not multiple life sentences will be served 'consecutive or concurrent'. Good god what a waste of breath. Yes, if you kill a bunch of folks, I'm fine with you [not you] never ever getting out, actually fine with whatever death penalty is quickest.

Was it a hate crime? Wut, no man the guy just needed killin. I even saw mentioned that, that surviving penis head Boston Marathon bomber should get a stimmy.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 17th, 2021 at 2:23:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
I usually ponder when in the news someone asks the rhetorical question about a murder or multiple murders whether or not it is a "hate crime". I think all murder is a hate crime.

What was the societal benefit of declaring something, hate crime or no hate crime? I think it was about the ability to give lengthier sentences. It's stupid imo. Then the justice system when sentencing a murderer has to vascillate about whether or not multiple life sentences will be served 'consecutive or concurrent'. Good god what a waste of breath. Yes, if you kill a bunch of folks, I'm fine with you [not you] never ever getting out, actually fine with whatever death penalty is quickest.

Was it a hate crime? Wut, no man the guy just needed killin. I even saw mentioned that, that surviving penis head Boston Marathon bomber should get a stimmy.

added: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Atlanta_spa_shootings

I don't know that's it always an easy call, but I think it has a purpose. Vandals spray paint your car, vs vandals that spray paint nazi symbols and other anti-Semitic things and you're Jewish. That makes it potentially beyond random vandalism to personal and associated with pretty bad historical precedents up to and including torture, slavery and death.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 17th, 2021 at 3:40:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: rxwine

added: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Atlanta_spa_shootings

I don't know that's it always an easy call, but I think it has a purpose. Vandals spray paint your car, vs vandals that spray paint nazi symbols and other anti-Semitic things and you're Jewish. That makes it potentially beyond random vandalism to personal and associated with pretty bad historical precedents up to and including torture, slavery and death.
On the stupid destruction of property, hopefully those that get away with it end up regretting it. On spray painting Swastika's on Synagogues, idk. Some of that is age related to. If you are 40 and out doing that, yer just mentally bent. Like gang 'tagging'. It's a culture getting involved with those activity's. Plenty of hate, but where's that come from?

I often still admire my dad's wisdom in using "work therapy" for us kids. If you are tired and worn from the days toil, there isn't the time or desire to mess things up or ruining other people's day. Like my bird hunting friend says, " a tired dog is a good dog". Body's need exercise. Get a dog worn down, or a man, and at the end of the day he isn't looking for trouble. Not usually.

But there is a chasm between keying someone's car and reloading a second mag in a church. Takes hate for fuel.
March 17th, 2021 at 3:51:15 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

I think differentiating hate crimes makes sense.

Intent matters a whole lot in our legal system. The easiest example is if you murder someone in the heat of an argument, you are charged with a lesser crime than if you meticulously planned it out. The concept of aggravating and mitigating circumstances is applied to most crimes.
March 17th, 2021 at 5:48:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Orwells "two minutes of hate" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_Minutes_Hate
March 18th, 2021 at 7:46:20 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
definitely what we have now
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 18th, 2021 at 11:43:39 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: odiousgambit
definitely what we have now

Sounds like the technique the left and MSM used against Trump. At least 2 minutes of hate everyday on the news. Worked like a charm.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 18th, 2021 at 12:50:32 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: kenarman
Sounds like the technique the left and MSM used against Trump.

Earned and well deserved.
March 18th, 2021 at 12:57:38 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: kenarman
Sounds like the technique the left and MSM used against Trump. At least 2 minutes of hate everyday on the news. Worked like a charm.

They were a one act circus for the past five years, preying on the screwballs.

Without Trump fake news to please the screwballs, CИИ has lost 1,000,000 prime time viewers each night, since the election, and MSNBC has lost half as many.

Since the screwballs don't have Trump to obsess over, and criticizing Biden and the Dems is not allowed, they had to create new enemies of the state. The most recent are, Mr. Potato Head and the racists, Lincoln and Dr. Seuss.