In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 6th, 2021 at 9:30:33 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Mission146
We do have one piece of good news today some of you might have missed:

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/last-minute-white-house-decision-opens-arctic-land-oil-leasing-rcna217

That'll at least bring in some revenue. The best part is that it's hard to imagine that Biden can do anything about it since the rights will already have been sold by the time he gets into office.

Unfortunately, the drilling is only to take place on 80% of the reserve, when it should really be more like 100%...but you can't win them all.

I am speaking generally here, and not talking about whether or not artic land should be drilled for oil:

An executive order could revoke those rights, and then someone would have to decide (in court, if challenged) whether or not such orders are constitutional and what compensation would be due.

But with history as a guide, pretty much any presidential executive order is legally binding until and unless it is overturned in a court, subsequent order, or legislation. (the latter setting up another court battle over which branch has jurisdiction over the issue)
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 6th, 2021 at 9:39:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146

That'll at least bring in some revenue. The best part is that it's hard to imagine that Biden can do anything about it since the rights will already have been sold by the time he gets into office.

I believe lawsuits being filed on the passing of the executive order will effectively hold it up.

Quote:
The NPR-A decision got a swift response from environmentalists, who have already sued to overturn the plan.

Just like his border wall executive orders got held up by lawsuits for awhile.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 6th, 2021 at 10:39:58 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Arizona deputies bust driver with more than 450 pounds of marijuana: 'Dude, you can't have that much weed' comments Sheriff

One ounce is the legal limit.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 6th, 2021 at 11:10:16 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: SOOPOO
i saw the remnants of stores on Hertel Avenue in Buffalo, New York. I saw looted stores on Main Street near the University at Buffalo in Buffalo, NY.

LOL on 'edited videos don't count'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen enough rioting and looting on CNN/MSNBC/FOX/CBS/NBC/ABC to not care what 'editing' was done to know the BLM looting and rioting and destruction was real. You can argue that the looters and rioters were not 'real' BLM, but you can't seriously argue that the looting and rioting didn't occur and wasn't widespread!

Do you think that the 'autonomous zones' in Portland and/or Seattle didn't happen because SOOPOO didn't see them with his own eyes? That I should I only believe things I see with my own eyes?

It is getting hard to argue with you when your argument is that nonsensical.....

Hopefully you’ll condemn these rioting psychos:

https://twitter.com/shelbytalcott/status/1346893778800533515?s=21
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 6th, 2021 at 11:19:28 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
Hopefully you’ll condemn these rioting psychos:

https://twitter.com/shelbytalcott/status/1346893778800533515?s=21

Yeah its bad because the current President is feeding into the mind of mentally unstable people by feeding the conspiracy that he won and there is election theft going on....

But, don't hold your breathe for them to condemn right wing riots. Its justified when you feel that you won the election.... (Also, it doesn't count if its a white mob....) I fear that it will get worse over the coming weeks.... If the current President was responsible he would make a statement calling for order, but I wouldn't bet on it....
January 6th, 2021 at 11:25:58 AM permalink
ams288
Quote:
MSNBC reporting the Secret Service just had to usher Pence out of the Capitol through underground tunnels . . . to protect him from an angry mob sent by Trump.

Congrats Trumpsters!

This will be your legacy...
January 6th, 2021 at 11:28:25 AM permalink
rxwine
Lots of people willing to feed trump's ego no matter what he claimed. This is what you get.
January 6th, 2021 at 11:41:27 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Congrats Trumpsters!

This will be your legacy...

On one of my DC trips I got to go into the underground tunnels. Believe it or not, there is a mostly ceremonial train that connects those many buildings. I needed a special pass from (I can't remember who!) to ride the train.

Just like with the BLM riots, I fully support the full use of force to maintain the security integrity of these Federal Buildings. NOT using the full might available to the police and whatever other security forces are in play is an error.

Agree with ams. Sad day in our history.
January 6th, 2021 at 11:46:18 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Obviously, trump himself should condemn the violence and unlawful actions. Will he?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 6th, 2021 at 11:59:53 AM permalink
ams288
They are shooting into the chamber.

No “both sides”-ing this one. This is ALL on you, righties.