In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 18th, 2020 at 8:21:13 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I’m in Vegas right now.

The loophole for allowing smoking is a complete joke.

They are very strict about mask usage, until you whip out a cigarette and a lighter. Then anything goes.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 18th, 2020 at 9:27:36 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler

There should be no indoor consumption of anything in public anywhere, and masks should be required at all indoor public locations.... And, its smart to even wear them outdoors if in a crowd....

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Führer Wolf, Führer Newsom and yourself on this one.

I think that you should have suggested guidelines for the conduct of business that would strongly encourage all of these things, but leave the actual enforcement of same up to the business itself. Individuals could then decide which businesses they do, or do not, wish to frequent accordingly.

If people want to eat indoors without the masks on, and the business if fine with it, then they should be permitted to do so. While there may be a risk of additional spread of the virus just by way of all of the people gathering there, it all relates back to personal choice and free association. Individuals who consider themselves at-risk or otherwise do not believe the cost-benefit of doing these activities indoors can simply avoid going to the business in question. I guess so much for being tolerant of what other people choose to do for those people; it's not as if anyone is forcing them to go and eat inside in a restaurant.

The only thing that I think State Government might do well to make mandatory is having the business post its mask rules on the entrances, but that's simply so that people are making an informed decision as to whether or not to even enter the business. Obviously, I don't think that a business should be allowed to force people to NOT wear a mask, but that's a whole different conversation...and really the same concept applies...the person could simply not go into that business if he/she would prefer to wear a mask everywhere.

I understand that my suggested way comes with significant collateral damage vis-a-vis people following the health recommendations and getting sick anyway, but I don't really care so much about that. Individuals should just take the actions that they deem most appropriate and whatever happens is what happens. I really don't think there would be quite as much blowback were it not for the places shuttering completely (which is awful for local economies anyway) as well as the general disdain some people have for being forced to do something.

As far as large gatherings are concerned, particularly indoor ones, I'm really on the fence on that one and could be convinced either way.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 18th, 2020 at 10:08:10 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: RonC
You don't get the people violating mask orders aren't just a bunch of righties
There's a lot he doesn't get, including what you said below. 😂😂

Quote: RonC
Last I looked, California--a current hot spot--was a little bit of a left-leaning state.
+100

Quote: Mission146
I'm afraid I have to disagree with Führer Wolf, Führer Newsom and yourself on this one.
You gotta remember that you're talking to a guy who wants to microchip every American so that the government can keep tabs on everything we do. So it doesn't surprise me that he wants to ban people from eating & drinking in public. 🙄

Quote: DRich
Most people that are getting Covid are getting it by breathing it in. If we just ban breathing the cases will drop significantly.
Be careful. Libbies may try that next. 🤣
July 18th, 2020 at 11:28:37 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146

I think that you should have suggested guidelines for the conduct of business that would strongly encourage all of these things, but leave the actual enforcement of same up to the business itself. Individuals could then decide which businesses they do, or do not, wish to frequent accordingly.

If people want to eat indoors without the masks on, and the business if fine with it, then they should be permitted to do so. While there may be a risk of additional spread of the virus just by way of all of the people gathering there, it all relates back to personal choice and free association. Individuals who consider themselves at-risk or otherwise do not believe the cost-benefit of doing these activities indoors can simply avoid going to the business in question. I guess so much for being tolerant of what other people choose to do for those people; it's not as if anyone is forcing them to go and eat inside in a restaurant.

The only thing that I think State Government might do well to make mandatory is having the business post its mask rules on the entrances, but that's simply so that people are making an informed decision as to whether or not to even enter the business. Obviously, I don't think that a business should be allowed to force people to NOT wear a mask, but that's a whole different conversation...and really the same concept applies...the person could simply not go into that business if he/she would prefer to wear a mask everywhere.

I understand that my suggested way comes with significant collateral damage vis-a-vis people following the health recommendations and getting sick anyway, but I don't really care so much about that. Individuals should just take the actions that they deem most appropriate and whatever happens is what happens. I really don't think there would be quite as much blowback were it not for the places shuttering completely (which is awful for local economies anyway) as well as the general disdain some people have for being forced to do something.

As far as large gatherings are concerned, particularly indoor ones, I'm really on the fence on that one and could be convinced either way.

In the past you have strongly supported local government. If cities want to ban indoor consumption and mandate mask wearing, should that not be an issue the city as a right to push?

Right now this is largely a local issue with states and cities enacting policies that they feel are in their best interest....

Many large businesses and retail chains already have mask policies. But, its hard for a private company to enforce something like that without a law backing it up....

I support the way AC opened, I think they did it right for once. I love to drink and smoke while gambling too, but sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture. I can be inconvenienced for a few months if it saves lives.
July 18th, 2020 at 11:32:08 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Shrek
There's a lot he doesn't get, including what you said below. 😂😂

+100

You gotta remember that you're talking to a guy who wants to microchip every American so that the government can keep tabs on everything we do. So it doesn't surprise me that he wants to ban people from eating & drinking in public. 🙄

This is the second time (to my knowledge) that you have accused me of this.
And, you still have never provided such a quote. For having me blocked you seem obsessed with insulting me.

Reported for slander and misquoting.

If you can post the quote (you can't) where I said all Americans need to be microchipped, I will withdraw my complaint.
July 18th, 2020 at 11:33:15 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
This qualifies as news, but it isn't coming from a news site. I wouldn't normally link to such a partisan site, but it will do for this.
https://secondnexus.com/neil-cavuto-fact-checks-trump
Apparently Fox News broke into and talked over a recent trump campaign speech to fact check him.
I find it amazing that Fox news has done such a thing.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 18th, 2020 at 11:50:53 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64

I find it amazing that Fox news has done such a thing.

That's because you never watch them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 18th, 2020 at 11:53:14 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
In the past you have strongly supported local government. If cities want to ban indoor consumption and mandate mask wearing, should that not be an issue the city as a right to push?

Right now this is largely a local issue with states and cities enacting policies that they feel are in their best interest....

Many large businesses and retail chains already have mask policies. But, its hard for a private company to enforce something like that without a law backing it up....

I support the way AC opened, I think they did it right for once. I love to drink and smoke while gambling too, but sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture. I can be inconvenienced for a few months if it saves lives.

That's honestly a bit nuanced, despite being only two issues. I would probably oppose, but not adamantly, a city mandating mask wearing for all people indoors, in public places, on a local level. I would strongly oppose the banning of indoor consumption just because I don't like the notion of any level of Government taking an action that adversely impacts particular types of otherwise legal businesses more than absolutely necessary. So...if they want to mandate social distancing for dining/drinking indoors, that's fine. If they want to mandate increased sanitization/cleaning by way of the local health department---also fine. However, if they want to tell restaurants and bars that nobody eats/drinks indoors whatsoever, no, I am 100% opposed to that mandate. That's unacceptable. Nobody is being forced to eat inside of a restaurant or drink in a bar, so let those who wish to do so do it and those who don't can simply stay out of them.

It's not, "That they feel are in their best interest," it's mainly one person unilaterally making the final decisions on everything.

The law can back it up without the masks themselves being mandated, defiant/criminal trespass laws already cover a business asking a person to leave for not following their policies and refusing to go away.

I can similarly be inconvenienced, and I can not emphasize this enough, I don't have a problem with any of the directives and have personally been following them even more strictly than is required by law. I just have a problem with it happening by way of Government demand under the threat of force rather than people being allowed to make their own decisions. My decision to do mask/gloves/sanitizer spray is more out of respect for other people who are trying not to get sick and/or get anyone else sick if they do have it.

That's me making a personal choice to show deference. I think others should have the right not to show deference, if they don't want to, so I can agree with their individual rights whilst disagreeing with their individual actions. I guess I would also say that a person should not go out of his/her way to actually try to get others sick, obviously.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 18th, 2020 at 5:27:34 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Man, I love these two black women!!
They defaced the Black Lives Matter mural and were screaming "REFUND the police!! haha 🤣🤣

2 in custody after Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower is again defaced

This is the same woman who was educating libbies in Seattle. 👍

And this is her getting arrested. (Go to 3:13 to hear her say "Refund the police!")

July 18th, 2020 at 9:50:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Shrek

This is the second time (to my knowledge) that you have accused me of this.
And, you still have never provided such a quote. For having me blocked you seem obsessed with insulting me.

Reported for slander and misquoting.

If you can post the quote (you can't) where I said all Americans need to be microchipped, I will withdraw my complaint.

A complaint has been filed for false quoting. Here is how I'm going to handle this. Shrek will have an opportunity to provide evidence that Gandler has endorsed said position about micro-chipping. He may also choose to apologize for misrepresenting Gandler's position, if he so chooses. He may make any statement he wishes, or none at all.

If evidence is provided that Gandler has promoted micro-chipping, then Gandler will be on the hook for making a false accusation.

This is essentially a coaches challenge. Somebody will get suspended. The ball is in Shrek's court to justify his statement.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber