In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 9th, 2020 at 2:51:06 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
We were never empty. Like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a few hours on NYE when night shift was more like 4-10 or something, I forget exactly. Maybe a few hours on the summer holidays until night shift came in. Dairy was delivered around 4, first bread delivery about 5. The bakers came in at 5, meat guys by 6. The donut guy worked overnight. I might be off on a few things, talking 1988-89! On a normal shift I "cashiered" perhaps half the time, rest was stock ordering, cigarette ordering (which I had to a science) and other side things this or that they had me do.

Nice! Only rarely (when I cashiered) was I the closing cashier. As PM grocery supervisor, I basically did all things related to dry grocery (and a few things in other departments). I would have a few one-off items on my list going into the shift, but these items were always on the list:

-Stock sales items.
-Handle customer complaints.
-Assign tasks to baggers.
-Restock sales items that are hot.
-Restock consumer staples in all departments.
-Check closed secondary departments to make sure lights are off and everything is secure.
-Stock things on the backstock wall if any such items have been sold.
-Check the quantity wall and restock hot sales items. (Again)
-Bale the cardboard boxes and forklift them to the designated pickup area.
-(If truck night) receive the truck and verify the number of pallets*
-Get carts from parking lot before closing and after bagger leaves. (10:00-00:45)
-Restock consumer staples from all departments. (Again)

There would usually be three-five additional items, but they would be unique to something going on that day. I'd do tags in grocery-department aisles if it was the night before the ad changed, for example. That would be my busiest night because I'd also have to set up clearance stands for any serious sales items overflow (rare) and change the endcaps from whatever they were at the time to the new sales items. It was great. Had it paid more, I'd still be doing it. I loved that position and it was REALLY great work when you consider it was a college job.

*I'd also have all available U-Boats filled with truck items from the pallets and even sometimes have them on the floor in front of the spot in the appropriate aisle...but I was never required to do that. The only nights that I wouldn't accomplish at least some of that would be the nights before ad change because I had a ton of other stuff to do...I even had a second bagger on those nights whose job was just to do whatever I told him to do and then come find me for something else to do.

Quote:
Such a night-audit gig could be nice for the right person. Get a few hours to study for your COMP-TIA test.

It's not a bad gig. I wasn't ever a Night Auditor, but at both hotels I managed, I usually covered the Night Auditor's off night. Both of those hotels scheduled six sixes or a mix of 6's and 7's. The Night Auditor at the first hotel was actually salaried and worked every night, but I wasn't going to be in a position over her and get one day off per week when she didn't, so I demanded she take one night a week off and I'd just do a double.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 9th, 2020 at 5:28:04 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
It sounds like you people work way too hard. I have never had a job that didn't involve sitting at a desk most of the time. I have been very sheltered as the only jobs I have had are computer programming. I got my first job at 17 and 35 years later I am still doing the same thing.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 9th, 2020 at 5:45:49 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
It sounds like you people work way too hard. I have never had a job that didn't involve sitting at a desk most of the time. I have been very sheltered as the only jobs I have had are computer programming. I got my first job at 17 and 35 years later I am still doing the same thing.

Nah, the grocery store job was great. You never got bored and could always find something that needed to be done. That's why they liked me so much, the Grocery Manager, Store Manager and Owner would know to look everywhere except the grocery department office if they needed to find me...because the only time I would ever be in there is to put a checkmark on my list.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 9th, 2020 at 9:19:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I know Tripdufan posted something that can directly relate to this, but I don't know if he mentioned the court case ruling or was referring to some other point.

Anyway.

Quote:
US Supreme Court rules half of Oklahoma is Native American land

Only 15% of the people living on that land are Native American. Interesting, I would say, the least.

It all stems from a criminal case from 1997, and I guess jurisdictional challenges.

Truthfully, I don't know how any conservative can complain. They all like to go on about how it's wrong redistribute wealth from other people.

Well, this is the ultimate kind of case. Half a state is given back.

Ya'll can jump for joy that your values are being upheld.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2020 at 2:01:29 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Trump is the first president to take the MOCA test (cognative ability), and according to him, he's done it at least twice now.

That's unprecedented, which is a bit redundant to say since I already said he is the first president to do it.

This site has the contents of the test
https://www.mediaite.com/news/whats-on-the-cognitive-test-that-trump-brags-he-aced-drawing-a-cube-correctly-identifying-a-camel-and-more/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
July 10th, 2020 at 4:07:53 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
112* in the shade
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 10th, 2020 at 5:01:42 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Donny commuted Roger Stone’s prison sentence.

LAW & ORDER!!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 10th, 2020 at 5:37:24 PM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
I think I just threw up in my mouth. YUCK 🤮

Valentina Sampaio makes history as 1st trans model to appear in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit

No more Sports Illustrated for me, thank you very much..........
July 10th, 2020 at 6:21:23 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
Donny commuted Roger Stone’s prison sentence.

LAW & ORDER!!

I really haven't followed the Stone saga much, but the Trumpster exercised his rights granted him in the constitution to commute Stone's sentence. If the American people do not like how he exercises his rights, they shouldn't have voted him in, and soon will have the option of voting him out.
July 10th, 2020 at 6:28:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
I really haven't followed the Stone saga much, but the Trumpster exercised his rights granted him in the constitution to commute Stone's sentence. If the American people do not like how he exercises his rights, they shouldn't have voted him in, and soon will have the option of voting him out.

Stone didn't just get "tricked" into perjury. He went out of his way to commit perjury. And he was gleeful and unrepentant as well, until the judge slammed some gag orders on him.

Hardly a guy who needed a pardon in any respect.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?