In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 27th, 2020 at 10:20:03 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Quote: Tanko
As expected, sensing a Biden win, the dems aren’t wasting any time turning Washington DC and Puerto Rico into States.

They started the process yesterday, passing a DC statehood bill in the House.

Two more permanent dem senators and one congressman.

When they control the Senate, the bill will succeed.

Puerto Rico is next.
Convince them to vote Republican.

No chance. Lowly educated, high crime rate, large percentage on welfare/Medicaid. Also known as the Democrat base.
June 27th, 2020 at 10:31:14 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
There is another option that is being discussed online.

Instead of statehood, shrink DC and return the neighborhoods where people live to Maryland and Virginia.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 27th, 2020 at 10:37:39 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Dalex64
There is another option that is being discussed online.

Instead of statehood, shrink DC and return the neighborhoods where people live to Maryland and Virginia.

This is not an issue that I have looked into a great deal.

But, I thought the point of D.C. was it was supposed to be a Federal District, not apart of any state or territory? This way the capitol is in an ubiased location (not beholden to any state). Turning it into a city in VA would defeat the purpose of this.

I don't understand the huge issue with DC being made a state, it seems like a random issue that came from nowhere? What's wrong with how its always been? I thought DC already has Congress people? I know that they don't have a Senator, but Senators are for States....
June 27th, 2020 at 10:59:45 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
I don't understand the huge issue with DC being made a state, it seems like a random issue that came from nowhere? What's wrong with how its always been? I thought DC already has Congress people?

It is a huge issue because it will add two permanent Democrat Senate seats from DC and two more from PR. Plus six more permanent Democrat House seats.

DC and PR each has a single non-voting delegate in the House, who may only vote on procedural matters.

When they take the Senate in 2024, the US will be a permanent single party state like Cuba, North Korea, China, Russia and Venezuela, and it will be a done deal.
June 27th, 2020 at 11:11:49 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Tanko
It is a huge issue because it will add two permanent Democrat Senate seats from DC and two more from PR. Plus six more permanent Democrat House seats.

DC and PR each has a single non-voting delegate in the House, who may only vote on procedural matters.

When they take the Senate in 2024, the US will be a permanent single party state like Cuba, North Korea, China, Russia and Venezuela, and it will be a done deal.

Puerto Rico I understand.

But, I thought the whole concept of D.C. is that it had to be in an autonomous Federal District that cannot formally be a state or part of a state? I would have to look for into it.
June 27th, 2020 at 12:10:40 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: Gandler
Puerto Rico I understand.

But, I thought the whole concept of D.C. is that it had to be in an autonomous Federal District that cannot formally be a state or part of a state?

The federal district will remain.

According to the article:

"The bill would establish a federal district of 2 square miles, comprising the Capitol and White House, the National Mall and other major federal buildings. The rest of the District would become a state called Washington, Douglass Commonwealth, named for the Black abolitionist and intellectual Frederick Douglass."
June 27th, 2020 at 12:33:36 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Right, neither statehood nor reallocation to the states ideas completely eliminate the federal district.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 28th, 2020 at 4:15:52 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
As far as Puerto Rico is concerned, isn’t it up to them if they want state hood? Haven’t we always offered it to them, but they have refused? Or do I have this totally wrong? As far as the citizens of Washington DC, it just does seem wrong that they are not fully represented because they happen to live in what is called a federal district.
June 28th, 2020 at 4:51:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
As far as Puerto Rico is concerned, isn’t it up to them if they want state hood? Haven’t we always offered it to them, but they have refused? Or do I have this totally wrong? As far as the citizens of Washington DC, it just does seem wrong that they are not fully represented because they happen to live in what is called a federal district.

Simple solution for DC. Let them be represented by MD and get rid of their 3 Electoral Votes as they would then not be needed. Problem solved!
The President is a fink.
June 28th, 2020 at 5:24:39 AM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: SOOPOO

How many people live in DC and what is the geographical area? Did a day tour from NYC in 2012 and the bus driver mentioned the whole “taxation without representation” thing or whatever the slogan is. Assume this is a long-standing issue?