In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 16th, 2020 at 2:09:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146

I guess that could be true, but as one who has managed a few different places, I'd look at that on a resume and ask myself, "Why the hell is this on here?"

Because people who know also know just what, 10% who enter scouting make it? I forget the exact number but it is low. They have a project they have to do that is no piece of cake. And you learn practical skills. It boggles my mind how many adults cannot read a map, and I am talking pre-GPS when you needed to learn how to do it to get around. That is one of many things.

IIRC it puts you on an express path to officer in the military. They get it.

Unfortunately BSA is now just SA and admitting girls. The whole thing will soon be lost. I have heard if you really want to see skill development find a scout book from 100 years ago. It was tougher then. The lack of life skills in young adults today is a shame.

Quote:
they are concerned that Atheists are more likely to report direct crimes against children or other untowardly behavior. Also, the markets are totally different. One area I'm aware of, the BSA chapter---or whatever the hell you call it---is all but inseparable from one of the local churches. You wouldn't know if you were at an event for one or the other.

No, the idea is you have to believe there is a higher power as something greater than yourself. Ever wonder why the most repressive governments try to ban religion and have atheism as a policy? Because that way you have to believe your rights come from government and if that is the case they can be taken away. When you have a belief in a God you can believe your rights are natural and God-given, not to be taken away.

So a church has a troop. So what? Smart idea as they are a natural fit.
The President is a fink.
June 16th, 2020 at 2:47:03 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Great way to learn how to be a survivor, did you say?

I guess that could be true, but as one who has managed a few different places, I'd look at that on a resume and ask myself, "Why the hell is this on here?"

Maybe they are concerned that Atheists are more likely to report direct crimes against children or other untowardly behavior. Also, the markets are totally different. One area I'm aware of, the BSA chapter---or whatever the hell you call it---is all but inseparable from one of the local churches. You wouldn't know if you were at an event for one or the other.

You manage several buinsesss and have never seen a resume that has a place for "awards and recognitions" ?

Also, totally disagree with the part about being tied to a church. But, your local experience may vary, I have experienced a couple different troops and never saw such a thing. I was an open athesist when I became one (late teens), only time it was an issue (not really they were just watching our for me) was at some international event, my Scoutmaster just said "just don't bring it up to anyone else", that was literally the only time anyone said anything at all....

On a 2 week hiking trip, I was assigned (by a Park Ranger who did not know me) to be the chaplain, so I just read passages from the Islamic Chaplan guide to annoy/amuse everyone during mandated Chaplin services times (supposed to be nondeminational to service every religion), I may have threw in some passages from guides from obscure religions like Janism just to mix things up.
Religion was never taken seriously in any group I was with... Granted very liberal area, so your local experience may vary....
June 16th, 2020 at 3:29:09 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Because people who know also know just what, 10% who enter scouting make it? I forget the exact number but it is low. They have a project they have to do that is no piece of cake. And you learn practical skills. It boggles my mind how many adults cannot read a map, and I am talking pre-GPS when you needed to learn how to do it to get around. That is one of many things.

Unfortunately BSA is now just SA and admitting girls. The whole thing will soon be lost. I have heard if you really want to see skill development find a scout book from 100 years ago. It was tougher then. The lack of life skills in young adults today is a shame.

No, the idea is you have to believe there is a higher power as something greater than yourself. Ever wonder why the most repressive governments try to ban religion and have atheism as a policy? Because that way you have to believe your rights come from government and if that is the case they can be taken away. When you have a belief in a God you can believe your rights are natural and God-given, not to be taken away.

Its something like 1-2% I think (it used to be less, you used to have to take the initiative to rank up, but now people are more encouraged to get all of the steps done to be sure they get pushed through each rank).

But, yeah the project is no joke, you have to do all of the planning, mine was on county land, so I had to submit all of the construction plans and designs and go before a bunch of county meetings for approval. And, you have to organize all of the labor and work and construction on your own (you can't just hire somebody to do it, I am sure there are some rich kids who get away with just hiring a contractor and signing, and getting away with it, but its not supposed to be that way).... And, that is just one of many requiements.

You need at least 21 merit badges including several key required badges (most of which have their own list of extensive requirements), a bunch of hours of community service (your hours on your own project don't count), and a bunch of other requirements that are complicated to explain (you can see the Google doc below).

People make fun of Boy Scouts, but its a pretty intensive training pipeline, especially for being under 18.

And, advancing the other ranks is no easy task, but "life" (rank before Eagle) or "star" does not have the same name recognition as saying "Eagle Scout".

Its a great learning experience that not many other programs can emmulate. Very unique combination of leadership, survival, labd navigation, politics, planning, emergency response, to learn at such a young age.

Despite my disagreements with their athiest policy, I would still advise any young boy to join because on the whole, it's extremely beneficial (to both them and society)..... I feel most people in Scouts (obviously some exceptions), tend to be excellent citizens and more philanthropic.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/524-01219_Rank_Requirements_PrintSpreads.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi4nM7YqofqAhWhQjABHaoKC4cQFjAJegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3DgNY31PbemQQD6c0fQgI2
June 16th, 2020 at 3:42:16 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
You manage several buinsesss and have never seen a resume that has a place for "awards and recognitions" ?

Manage several? Managed, past tense. A few, smaller qualification of word. I supervised a telemarketing place (replaced the hiring guy when he was on vacation), managed two hotels and was the PM supervisor at a grocery store during part of my time in college.

Yeah, I've seen it, but I don't see how it would be directly relevant to the job. People put all kinds of stuff on there, some barely-do-anything quasi-official position at a church, being some sort of scout troop leader, President of some sort of book club...just all kinds of nonsense that I don't care about at all.

It's like this, and I'm sure some jobs/managers are different, but I don't give a sweet **** what you do in your free time. I want you to be at work, on time and not call off very often. I want you to be minimally competent. I don't care who your spouse is, whether or not you have kids or how many, what you do outside of work---none of it. Your existence, as relates to me, begins and ends when you either clock in or fail to do so.

They could scrub that whole entire section of a resume and I would have loved it. When applying, I hated filling out for that part. What I do outside of work, or don't do, isn't anyone's business. My existence, as far as they should be concerned, begins and ends when I enter and leave the building.

Quote:
Also, totally disagree with the part about being tied to a church. But, your local experience may vary, I have experienced a couple different troops and never saw such a thing. I was an open athesist when I became one (late teens), only time it was an issue (not really they were just watching our for me) was at some international event, my Scoutmaster just said "just don't bring it up to anyone else", that was literally the only time anyone said anything at all....

On a 2 week hiking trip, I was assigned (by a Park Ranger who did not know me) to be the chaplain, so I just read passages from the Islamic Chaplan guide to annoy/amuse everyone during mandated Chaplin services times (supposed to be nondeminational to service every religion), I may have threw in some passages from guides from obscure religions like Janism just to mix things up.
Religion was never taken seriously in any group I was with... Granted very liberal area, so your local experience may vary....

No, that was strictly anecdotal. Other than that, I know nothing about the Boy Scouts because I know there is more than zero connection to religion and would, therefore, have not joined. If it wouldn't reveal the name of the city where my kids live (some of the time) with my ex-wife, I'd tell you the name of the Church. You don't really do one without going to the other. It's basically a recruitment tool used by the church itself. The guy at the before the school year thing literally has flyers for both at his table.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 16th, 2020 at 4:01:53 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

Um...yeah, I didn't manage the military. You also did not need to be able to read a map. I can read a map, it's a, "Skill," I have almost never used.

Quote:

That's a really dumb idea. You either have someone who is above you in the organization, you are at their level or you are above them. If you're a kid, you should generally do what adults say. You don't need to believe in a fictional character to understand these things.

So what? If it's in anyway affiliated with a church, that's just as good, in my view, as it being the church. I think the troop leader, or whatever the hell he's called, is also the Youth Minister at the church. Let's go out and do some fun stuff while I indoctrinate your feeble mind into believing in not only our God, but also our way of looking at that God, so that the Church can enjoy an influx of money from you and your family for the rest of your life.

Just sounds like an early investment with the hopes of long-term returns that far exceed the initial investment, to me.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 16th, 2020 at 4:19:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Ever wonder why the most repressive governments try to ban religion and have atheism as a policy?

They do it because they fear the
power and secrecy of organized
religion. All organized religions
are like a secret society within
a country, you don't want that
if you're just getting started.
Look at EU, the Church ran every
country with an iron fist for
at least 500 years. You were a
Catholic or you were labeled a
heretic and kicked out or imprisoned.
Or worse. Protestants weren't
much better.

Even as late as the 1950's in the
US, if you lived in a small town
and had a business like a grocery,
or barbershop, you better be
seen in one of the local churches
every Sunday or you won't get
any business.

Communists countries want total
control of every person so they
ban religion. Also organized
religion tends to be very wealthy
and pay little or nothing to the
gov't. Always follow the money.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 16th, 2020 at 4:34:16 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Nor did the Catholic Church. Several other individual churches, though perhaps not denominational hierarchies, have also tried to handle such affairs in house.

No kidding. Add to that list Joe Paterno
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 16th, 2020 at 4:35:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Um...yeah, I didn't manage the military. You also did not need to be able to read a map. I can read a map, it's a, "Skill," I have almost never used.

The point of it is when you learn this kind of skill you learn how to figure other things out. It does not exist in a vacuum. People that can figure out a map will be better at navigating other things. One of the biggest challenges I had in management was people who could not figure out basic tasks.

Quote:
That's a really dumb idea. You either have someone who is above you in the organization, you are at their level or you are above them. If you're a kid, you should generally do what adults say. You don't need to believe in a fictional character to understand these things.

Not talking about "in the organization." Talking about in your existence. Something to give you some reason to go on and overcome. Without a higher power there is no right and wrong. Right and wrong is what man says if you are an atheist. Man can change things to your detriment at the drop of a hat. A higher power keeps right and wrong in order.

Quote:
Just sounds like an early investment with the hopes of long-term returns that far exceed the initial investment, to me.

Well, that is what developing life skills is all about. I learned to read a map at a very young age. Guess what? Had to use that at least 1000 times in life. Learned how to start a small fire. So many grown men cannot do that without one of those Duraflame logs. Nice to be able to do when you have a fireplace. These kinds of things go on and on. Yeah, you invest time in your life to get skills for a return. That is why some people get ahead and others join OWS protests because they "cannot get ahead."
The President is a fink.
June 16th, 2020 at 4:51:34 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
The point of it is when you learn this kind of skill you learn how to figure other things out. It does not exist in a vacuum. People that can figure out a map will be better at navigating other things. One of the biggest challenges I had in management was people who could not figure out basic tasks.

Math also pretty much accomplishes the same thing. It all pretty much comes down to deductive reasoning and problem-solving skills.

Quote:
Not talking about "in the organization." Talking about in your existence. Something to give you some reason to go on and overcome. Without a higher power there is no right and wrong. Right and wrong is what man says if you are an atheist. Man can change things to your detriment at the drop of a hat. A higher power keeps right and wrong in order.

Those statements mean precisely nothing. Do you think I need a God to know it's generally wrong to kill someone? If it accomplishes anything at all, it instills cooperation in people by way of the promise of eternal reward, or the threat of eternal punishment. It creates consequences for actions, over and above (theoretically) any that exist on Earth---but that doesn't make it necessary. It just makes it indoctrination that is predicated on both hope and fear in something that is likely false to begin with.

Quote:
Well, that is what developing life skills is all about. I learned to read a map at a very young age. Guess what? Had to use that at least 1000 times in life. Learned how to start a small fire. So many grown men cannot do that without one of those Duraflame logs. Nice to be able to do when you have a fireplace. These kinds of things go on and on. Yeah, you invest time in your life to get skills for a return. That is why some people get ahead and others join OWS protests because they "cannot get ahead."

If you say so. Maybe you should go to an OWS protest, teach those people how to build a fire and then tell them you have now solved all of their problems.

On the other hand, don't. It seems like the general population knows how to set fires pretty well, of late.
June 16th, 2020 at 4:58:52 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
If you can't read a map how are you going to find your favorite store the first time in a mall.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin