In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 15th, 2020 at 8:13:29 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I think that lawsuit itself has actually been basically attempted before, believe it or not. I might look.

"It's all the same when you're some cement-foot troglodyte..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTEpHeN8jhE

This movie was awful in virtually every way with most of the skits not funny at all, but this one was a shining exception, imo. WARNING: Link contains references to racism, jokes about white people, the slightly less offensive version of the N word, genitalia references and extremely offensive language.

There are some cases in Michingian (one state which has that protection against being fired for physcial looks) you can look up.

It's rare for obvious reasons because you have to admit that you are ugly, so even states with these laws, suits are rare...
June 15th, 2020 at 8:15:45 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
There are some cases in Michingian (one state which has that protection against being fired for physcial looks) you can look up.

It's rare for obvious reasons because you have to admit that you are ugly, so even states with these laws, suits are rare...

Not that, those have happened a few times. I mean that I think a guy sued Hooters once, but I couldn’t swear to it without looking.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 15th, 2020 at 8:34:47 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

This is about people being fired simply for being homosexual (like the original case which came from a City in GA firing somebody for being gay).

The question is were they fired for "being gay" or were they fired for acting like a flaming idiot and disrupting business? There is quite a difference.
The President is a fink.
June 15th, 2020 at 8:53:18 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Back in the news again

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/15/fda-ends-emergency-use-of-hydroxychloroquine-319872

Quote:
After reviewing new information from large clinical trials the agency now believes that the suggested dosing regimens "are unlikely to produce an antiviral effect," FDA chief scientist Denise Hinton said in a letter announcing the decision.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 15th, 2020 at 10:15:17 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
Bad day for bigots:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Supreme Court rules gay and lesbian people can sue for workplace bias under landmark civil rights law.

Interesting split: Roberts and Gorsuch joined the four liberals.

I am glad the Supreme Court made a right decision.

The fact that even conservative justices joined shows it is right.

Huge progress. This is probably the most important case of the year for civil rights.

I remeber I posted this case earlier this year (in the "Gay Thread") and all of the usual suspects were convinced it would be dismissed.....

What I find shocking is that we have 3 Supreme Court justices that are totally ok with a person being fired simply for being gay.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 15th, 2020 at 11:07:01 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined
What I find shocking is that we have 3 Supreme Court justices that are totally ok with a person being fired simply for being gay.

No, that is not what happened. Their opinion shows nothing of how they feel about that subject. There issue was over whether the case was one for the courts to solve or one for the Legislative branch to address.

The court does not exist to make laws. The thought of those three is that they were making law with this ruling, not deciding the constitutionality of one.

That tells you nothing about what they are "okay with"...they aren't there to be "okay with" things; they are all nine there to decide things based on the constitution and laws.
June 15th, 2020 at 1:00:30 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
That CHAZ stuff reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_the_Malheur_National_Wildlife_Refuge
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 15th, 2020 at 1:18:06 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Dalex64

Just like those illegal occupiers who did not stop the occupation when asked to do so, these folks should be asked to end the event and turn control back over to the city. They can stay and peaceful protest as long as they would like as long as they stay in compliance with the rules and laws applicable.

Once they refuse and people are given 24 hours or so to end the occupation part of it, start the arrests.
June 15th, 2020 at 1:32:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64

Big Pharma does not give up without a fight.
The President is a fink.
June 15th, 2020 at 1:54:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Big Pharma does not give up without a fight.

Tin foil hat conspiracy theory. MAGA
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?