In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 25th, 2014 at 7:02:41 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph

Holy mackerel I just found this list of school shootings going back as far as 1760, kinda puts this in a different light.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Very revealing, if you ask me. Seems quite simple.

Here's a totally legit graph showing the occurrences of school shootings in America.

And another highly vetted graph showing gun laws passed throughout our history.

Clearly, more gun laws = more school shootings.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 25th, 2014 at 10:11:05 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
, and one is a well known author.
Yes, and during the time when she was being "outed", I met the well known author. We discussed her novels, the rigors of book marketing tours arranged by publishers who think authors don't need time to eat or sleep or explore the cities they are visiting, the difficulties of doing serious research from a remote village, etc. Neither I, nor anyone else in the group of about twenty, ever asked her any questions about her unfortunate background or her then current ordeal of being outed by the press. We behaved in a polite and considerate manner and gave her the courtesy of choosing what issues she might wish to discuss. We certainly did not try to take the lead and interrogate her about her difficulties.

I think that may be the difference in that school children are not raised that way. The worst bullies are the teachers but the students themselves are a close second and respect for an individual is not taught.
October 25th, 2014 at 10:14:52 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Face
Clearly, more gun laws = more school shootings.
Ah, but what you refer to as "gun laws" are really "anti-gun" laws.
October 25th, 2014 at 10:26:03 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25

This is the first pic I have ever been able to post. I am so proud of myself.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth with ambiton" [u/a]
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 26th, 2014 at 12:42:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Holy mackerel I just found this list of school shootings going back as far as 1760, kinda puts this in a different light.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

I don't see the 'different light'. I read most entries,
and 99% were personal grievance issues with a
teacher or between students. It wasn't until 1966
when Whitman shot 15 students from the tower
in Texas that the senseless mass murders
started. I was in HS that year, a senior. We were
appalled, we'd never dreamed such a thing could
happen.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 26th, 2014 at 5:38:17 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Fleastiff
Ah, but what you refer to as "gun laws" are really "anti-gun" laws.

Exactly...
October 26th, 2014 at 5:46:13 AM permalink
RonC
It is interesting that those who disagree with every suggested possible social cause for increased violence and intensity of the violence (someone killing more than just the person who they feel "wronged" them) have nothing to say on what has changed that makes things happen the way they do now. Their sole answer seems to be "guns" but "guns" have always been around our county...

It is easy to write paragraphs saying why my points are invalid in your mind; it is hard to discuss the issues and realize that SOMETHING has changed to make it seem okay to more people to step up the violence beyond what might have happened in years past. You could also make the point that things really haven't changed.

Instead...crickets when it comes to any real discussion.
October 26th, 2014 at 8:05:43 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC

It is easy to write paragraphs saying why my points are invalid in your mind; it is hard to discuss the issues and realize that SOMETHING has changed to make it seem okay to more people to step up the violence beyond what might have happened in years past. You could also make the point that things really haven't changed.

The 1960s changed American society and the real change started 1964-1965. More changes happened 1982-1986. Combined it makes an interesting look.

By 1965 the move to the suburbs was on. But the cities had not yet rotted to hell like they would by the early 1970s. "Mill Hunkies" still maintained their property and kept pride in the neighborhoods. The suburbs were still out of reach for some. But the neighborhoods were tight. If a stranger walked half a block they would have a dozen eyes on them. A reason why some people didn't yet hit the suburbs might be, "I know all my friends here!" Indeed, my grandfather was very high up in the mill he worked in and was making what would be near-six figures in today's dollars and he never left the city.

But after 1965 changes started to happen. Riots in major cities. Increasing racial tensions. Later busing ruined the neighborhood feel. An increasing population meant that the baby-boom kids had to buy in the suburbs as the city was filled, but at the same time more and more people in cities got out when the getting was good.

So what happened is the role models were gone. The doctor, the guy who owned a store, the whatever, gone. Those people gave the other more of a sense how to behave. When they were gone, the lower classes behaved more and more "lower class." Eventually the cities became hell-holes where nobody would live by choice. Crime went through the roof as standards went down. Violence became acceptable.

Then 1982-1986 more changed. The "Yuppie" was born. But more important, the "second generation suburbanites" came about. Neighborhood feel was nowhere near what it was years before. People disengaged. And one I just thought of now---MOST HOMES HAD CENTRAL AIR!

By the mid-1990s the internet joke was "you have a friend from Japan online but you do not know your next door neighbor!" We reached the age of isolation.

So combine it, isolated lives and a culture of violence. Easy to see, hard to turn the clock back.
The President is a fink.
October 26th, 2014 at 9:00:06 AM permalink
RonC
This is sure to be an interesting discussion:

"NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley spoke candidly about the problems facing the black community when appearing on a Philadelphia radio station, accusing “unintelligent,” “brainwashed” African-Americans of keeping successful ones down."

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/25/charles-barkley-unintelligent-blacks-brainwashed-to-keep-successful-black-men-down-video/
October 26th, 2014 at 10:09:27 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: RonC
This is sure to be an interesting discussion:

"NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley spoke candidly about the problems facing the black community when appearing on a Philadelphia radio station, accusing “unintelligent,” “brainwashed” African-Americans of keeping successful ones down."

http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/25/charles-barkley-unintelligent-blacks-brainwashed-to-keep-successful-black-men-down-video/

This is where our society is at today and colour has nothing to do with it. Everyone feels entitled and no one is supposed to be successfull. You have more money than me give me some via the government so I can live like you. You are an entrepeneur and own a business support me whether I earn it or not. If you can't be a success then better knock down the people that are.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin