In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 6th, 2019 at 1:52:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Fleastiff
No particular inclination to go elsewhere but surely the ability to keep going somewhere else. homeowners pay to look out on a park, not shopping carts, tents, laundry lines and "public restrooms".

That's a complaint of many homeowners. But is just as often someone constructing another building in front of the nice view you once had.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2019 at 3:08:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
most senior flight attendant at LAX who often earned $250k a year while younger employees had to bid for undesired flights was fired for stealing a quart of milk from the plane.
79 years old. first discipline ever.
December 6th, 2019 at 3:11:56 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
That's a complaint of many homeowners. But is just as often someone constructing another building in front of the nice view you once had.
Abutting landowners are often taxed for that view and 'paid' for it when buying their home..
December 6th, 2019 at 7:55:17 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
most senior flight attendant at LAX who often earned $250k a year while younger employees had to bid for undesired flights was fired for stealing a quart of milk from the plane.

That is horrible. I would suggest caning or amputation.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 7th, 2019 at 5:32:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

We had an example somewhat like this in a course on collective bargaining in college. Prof gave an example of a 20 year employee having to be fired for a minor infraction. His basic answer was "tough luck" and the rest does not matter, work rules must be a "hot stove." Meaning whoever touches a hot stove gets burned no matter who the are.
The President is a fink.
December 8th, 2019 at 5:13:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Legislation to end surprise medical bills.

Quote:

Leaders of key Senate and House committees have reached a consensus on how to eliminate them, increasing the chance that legislation on the issue will pass Congress this year.

The proposal would prevent doctors from sending unexpected bills to patients when they are treated in a hospital that accepts their insurance, and would establish a system for resolving related billing disputes between those doctors and insurance companies.

“It is long past time that Congress protect patients and families from the devastating financial toll of surprise medical bills, and this agreement puts an end to this egregious billing practice,” said Frank Pallone Jr., the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. “I’m hopeful that this bipartisan, bicameral agreement can be voted on quickly so that it can be signed into law before the end of the year.”

Solving the problem has been a priority for both Republicans and Democrats in Congress — as well as the White House. But progress stalled this summer, after bills passed through committees in both chambers.

A dark-money group funded by private-equity-backed physician staffing firms has spent tens of millions of dollars in television and direct mail advertising in a bid to scuttle the legislation.

[…]

Passage of the bill is still not guaranteed, but the bipartisan agreement substantially increases the likelihood that the legislation will move this year, most likely as part of a large government funding package expected to pass before a Dec. 20 deadline. The Congressional Budget Office has said that the approach in the deal will save the government money, making it a helpful piece to help offset other priorities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ban-on-surprise-medical-bills-may-pass-after-all/ar-BBXWCro?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 8th, 2019 at 5:25:59 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22

Quote:

Leaders of key Senate and House committees have reached a consensus on how to eliminate them, increasing the chance that legislation on the issue will pass Congress this year.

The proposal would prevent doctors from sending unexpected bills to patients when they are treated in a hospital that accepts their insurance, and would establish a system for resolving related billing disputes between those doctors and insurance companies.

“It is long past time that Congress protect patients and families from the devastating financial toll of surprise medical bills, and this agreement puts an end to this egregious billing practice,” said Frank Pallone Jr., the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. “I’m hopeful that this bipartisan, bicameral agreement can be voted on quickly so that it can be signed into law before the end of the year.”

Solving the problem has been a priority for both Republicans and Democrats in Congress — as well as the White House. But progress stalled this summer, after bills passed through committees in both chambers.

A dark-money group funded by private-equity-backed physician staffing firms has spent tens of millions of dollars in television and direct mail advertising in a bid to scuttle the legislation.

[…]

Passage of the bill is still not guaranteed, but the bipartisan agreement substantially increases the likelihood that the legislation will move this year, most likely as part of a large government funding package expected to pass before a Dec. 20 deadline. The Congressional Budget Office has said that the approach in the deal will save the government money, making it a helpful piece to help offset other priorities.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ban-on-surprise-medical-bills-may-pass-after-all/ar-BBXWCro?ocid=spartanntp

Of course the headlines don't cover the actual repercussions of the bill. It basically is a way for INSURANCE COMPANIES to unilaterally set rates they will pay their doctors. Right now, I negotiate with an insurance company and we come to an agreement on what I get paid for a procedure and I become a 'participating' physician. If the insurance company is not willing to pay me a fair rate I can choose not to participate, and bill the patient my rate. So, now, the GOVERNMENT is telling me I can't bill the patient my rate, and the insurance company can just ON ITS OWN decide how much to pay its participating physicians. So there is NO reason for an insurance company to do anything but continually lower what it pays its doctors. Since they pay the same if you participate or not. I'm glad I'm retired.....
December 8th, 2019 at 7:40:19 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: SOOPOO

Quote:

[…]

Of course the headlines don't cover the actual repercussions of the bill. It basically is a way for INSURANCE COMPANIES to unilaterally set rates they will pay their doctors. Right now, I negotiate with an insurance company and we come to an agreement on what I get paid for a procedure and I become a 'participating' physician. If the insurance company is not willing to pay me a fair rate I can choose not to participate, and bill the patient my rate. So, now, the GOVERNMENT is telling me I can't bill the patient my rate, and the insurance company can just ON ITS OWN decide how much to pay its participating physicians. So there is NO reason for an insurance company to do anything but continually lower what it pays its doctors. Since they pay the same if you participate or not. I'm glad I'm retired.....

It may (probably will) raise insurance prices, as medical clinics will demand higher rates in exchange for covering care.

But, I do wish medical places had simple prices posted for cash customers as a baseline of what to expect. When you ask even the billing people what something will cost, they seem to be unable to answer.
December 8th, 2019 at 7:52:04 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Gandler

Quote:

[…]

It may (probably will) raise insurance prices, as medical clinics will demand higher rates in exchange for covering care.

But, I do wish medical places had simple prices posted for cash customers as a baseline of what to expect. When you ask even the billing people what something will cost, they seem to be unable to answer.

This is also a GREAT point! I was the billing/negotiation guy for my group for the last 2/3 of my career, and actually could at least give a reasonable estimate. (In anesthesia, since length of case is a factor and exact length isn't known in advance, EXACT cost usually could not be told in advance). 80+% of my partners could not even give a reasonable estimate! Imagine if you asked the plumber how much a repair would be and he had virtually no idea!
December 8th, 2019 at 8:10:54 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Gandler

Quote:

[…]

This is also a GREAT point! I was the billing/negotiation guy for my group for the last 2/3 of my career, and actually could at least give a reasonable estimate. (In anesthesia, since length of case is a factor and exact length isn't known in advance, EXACT cost usually could not be told in advance). 80+% of my partners could not even give a reasonable estimate! Imagine if you asked the plumber how much a repair would be and he had virtually no idea!

Without getting too personal, I am fairly healthy, and other than routine physical, really only the regular medical appointments I make are with my psychiatrist.

Psychiatrists you would think would be about as straight foward as it would get, because there is no unexpected equipment or supplies that can be tacked onto a bill. You get charged for "45 minutes of psychotherapy with Psychiatrist" or "20 minutes, etc..." . You would think it would be a very easy to determine an hourly rate (prorated to your appointment length). But, there seems to be no standard, its usually just "we'll see what your insurance will cover and you will be sent a bill for a difference". Which for me varies from nothing to 20 dollars seemingly at random.

It seems that even for very routine appointments that should be easy to pay in cash, they make hazy to get any straight price point upfront. I still don't know the hourly rate (or if there even is a set one).