Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

April 5th, 2020 at 3:14:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
if we don't get smarter what happens when we get a real pandemic?

yeah, I'm being provocative, but I swear it's remarkable how clobbered we are getting buy the lamest thing of it's nature that could have possible come around. <1% death rate? that's lame

We already have 3 times the number of 911 dead. How shell shocked were you from that?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 5th, 2020 at 3:16:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Perhaps if we took the dead, put them into a car, and launched them into an intersection at each other, it would seem more ordinary.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 5th, 2020 at 3:22:28 PM permalink
rxwine
Here's another one.

We build a platform across a canyon. It has a hundred marked trap doors. You pick any path you want always able to avoid some doors. You have to stand on each trap door you pick. One door will send you to your death if you pick wrong. How much money would it take for you to take the risk?

edit, actually this last one isn't exactly similar.
April 5th, 2020 at 4:27:41 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
if we don't get smarter what happens when we get a real pandemic?

yeah, I'm being provocative, but I swear it's remarkable how clobbered we are getting buy the lamest thing of it's nature that could have possible come around. <1% death rate? that's lame

What math did you do to get your less than 1% death rate. Seems like something you pulled out of your hat. Currently we have 1.27 million confirmed/recovered cases in the world and 69K deaths for a rate of over 5%. I expect this is high since we still don't have a handle on how many people have had mild symptoms and never been diagnosed, hopefully that is a very large number. We also don't yet know what percentage of people will never get the virus through natural immunity or no exposure, many of the "experts" put that number in the range of 50%.

The really scary number right now which hopefully is simply the result of the world not getting a handle on things fast enough is the current death rate of those people that were positively diagnosed and are now either considered virus free or died. This number world wide is 330K the 69K deaths are 21% of this number.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 5th, 2020 at 5:22:42 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: kenarman
What math did you do to get your less than 1% death rate. Seems like something you pulled out of your hat. Currently we have 1.27 million confirmed/recovered cases in the world and 69K deaths for a rate of over 5%.

Because he is looking at it the proper way. What percentage of the population will die from this virus? When we get to 3.5 million deaths in the U.S. that will be about 1%. As I have said before, until 1% of the population die I really can't even take this seriously. When we get to 10 million dead in the u.s. I will start believing this is more serious than I thought.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 5th, 2020 at 6:50:37 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
Because he is looking at it the proper way. What percentage of the population will die from this virus? When we get to 3.5 million deaths in the U.S. that will be about 1%. As I have said before, until 1% of the population die I really can't even take this seriously. When we get to 10 million dead in the u.s. I will start believing this is more serious than I thought.

I posted several weeks ago that I thought a the final total of deaths would be in the 1% range. Very few people want to even think about a number that high because the MSM keep giving out raw numbers without context. Percentages are what we should be reporting. But to get back to my original post should we just pull a number out of our hat the and say I believe this without any context or back-up. My 1% number as I originally stated is based on 2% mortality and 50% of the population eventually getting Covid.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 6th, 2020 at 9:24:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: kenarman
What math did you do to get your less than 1% death rate. Seems like something you pulled out of your hat. Currently we have 1.27 million confirmed/recovered cases in the world and 69K deaths for a rate of over 5%. I expect this is high since we still don't have a handle on how many people have had mild symptoms and never been diagnosed, hopefully that is a very large number. We also don't yet know what percentage of people will never get the virus through natural immunity or no exposure, many of the "experts" put that number in the range of 50%.

The really scary number right now which hopefully is simply the result of the world not getting a handle on things fast enough is the current death rate of those people that were positively diagnosed and are now either considered virus free or died. This number world wide is 330K the 69K deaths are 21% of this number.
There are articles out there by more than one person pointing out how this is confusing. The <1% that I am talking about *includes* people who don't have symptoms or don't have them bad enough to be hospitalized, something you point out yourself. I still am thinking that <1% is what the final analysis will say; I may be proved wrong. These mild case people are not counted now except maybe in South Korea.

My point is more to what happens if we get something worse rather than downplaying the current situation.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 6th, 2020 at 10:39:23 AM permalink
rxwine

My point is more to what happens if we get something worse rather than downplaying the current situation.

Turn Disney resorts into Renaissance theme parks?
May 8th, 2020 at 6:59:54 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Humans’ ability to efficiently shed heat has enabled us to range over every continent, but a wet-bulb temperature (TW) of 35°C marks our upper physiological limit, and much lower values have serious health and productivity impacts. Climate models project the first 35°C TW occurrences by the mid-21st century.

However, a comprehensive evaluation of weather station data shows that some coastal subtropical locations have already reported a TW of 35°C and that extreme humid heat overall has more than doubled in frequency since 1979. Recent exceedances of 35°C in global maximum sea surface temperature provide further support for the validity of these dangerously high TW values.

We find the most extreme humid heat is highly localized in both space and time and is correspondingly substantially underestimated in reanalysis products. Our findings thus underscore the serious challenge posed by humid heat that is more intense than previously reported and increasingly severe.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/19/eaaw1838
February 14th, 2021 at 7:19:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
Air pollution caused by the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil was responsible for 8.7m deaths globally in 2018, a staggering one in five of all people who died that year, new research has found.

Countries with the most prodigious consumption of fossil fuels to power factories, homes and vehicles are suffering the highest death tolls, with the study finding more than one in 10 deaths in both the US and Europe were caused by the resulting pollution, along with nearly a third of deaths in eastern Asia, which includes China. Death rates in South America and Africa were significantly lower.

Hey, an even bigger death toll on the Trump presidency. All he was doing was reversing climate change initiative.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/09/fossil-fuels-pollution-deaths-research