Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

February 15th, 2021 at 1:06:49 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote:
one in five of all people who died that year
that's the kind of claim that deserves to be automatically discounted, without even examining it. You don't need to get out your calculator and worksheets to determine if a cow can jump over the moon, either.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 15th, 2021 at 2:54:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Hey, an even bigger death toll on the Trump presidency. All he was doing was reversing climate change initiative.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/09/fossil-fuels-pollution-deaths-research

Would it make you feel better if they were pushed out of windows?
The President is a fink.
February 15th, 2021 at 5:07:58 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
that's the kind of claim that deserves to be automatically discounted, without even examining it. You don't need to get out your calculator and worksheets to determine if a cow can jump over the moon, either.

So, you’re familiar with how the Air Quality Index is measured from the ground and space? And you’ve read up on links to small particulate matter pollutants effects on health?

I guess it’s a bit of jump to link it to deaths. But I’d wager it’s not improving people’s health either. just a wild guess.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 15th, 2021 at 5:10:12 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Would it make you feel better if they were pushed out of windows?

Is that the new Republican platform?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 15th, 2021 at 5:47:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Is that the new Republican platform?

Is claiming you drive an ICE car to kill people the Democrat platform? It seems to be!
The President is a fink.
February 15th, 2021 at 6:30:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
So, you’re familiar with how the Air Quality Index is measured from the ground and space? And you’ve read up on links to small particulate matter pollutants effects on health?

I guess it’s a bit of jump to link it to deaths. But I’d wager it’s not improving people’s health either. just a wild guess.
What I'm familiar with is what people, including scientists, do when they have an agenda. People with an agenda sit around a conference table and say things like "we have to make this sound as extreme as we can so we can get the grant money" or whatever the cause celibre is for the day. Hey, we all have to make a buck, but none of us have to believe the cow jumped over the moon.
February 15th, 2021 at 7:07:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
another thing to take into account is that what we see is what some journalist wrote. Maybe the science says something like 'if we count contribution to early deaths including those less than 5 years earlier than normal, the figure could be 1 in 5'

but the journalist, even more likely to have an agenda, writes that it nails "one in five of all people who died that year" suggesting something quite different
February 15th, 2021 at 7:11:03 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Hey, an even bigger death toll on the Trump presidency. All he was doing was reversing climate change initiative.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/09/fossil-fuels-pollution-deaths-research

Studies like that are based on pseudoscience. They come up with a guess on how many deaths are caused by the particulates and then measure the particulates, multiply and come up with their count. Classic case of bullshit in - bullshit out.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 15th, 2021 at 7:36:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
What I'm familiar with is what people, including scientists, do when they have an agenda. People with an agenda sit around a conference table and say things like "we have to make this sound as extreme as we can so we can get the grant money" or whatever the cause celibre is for the day. Hey, we all have to make a buck, but none of us have to believe the cow jumped over the moon.

Fossil fuel sellers don't have an agenda?
February 15th, 2021 at 7:53:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
Studies like that are based on pseudoscience. They come up with a guess on how many deaths are caused by the particulates and then measure the particulates, multiply and come up with their count. Classic case of bullshit in - bullshit out.

Well, you can't put people in a room and expose them to concentrations of pollutants and measure the results over time. It would never be allowed.

You'd be happier being told it was never settled that you're health was compromised by pollution because such predictive methods aren't accurate enough.