4 votes (36.36%)
4 votes (36.36%)

11 members have voted

March 24th, 2014 at 8:45:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
There's another one where Texas sets Pi at 3.0000 based on the Bible. But I forget how it goes.

Urban legend, which I've also heard attributed to Kansas and Indiana.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 24th, 2014 at 11:10:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
There's another one where Texas sets Pi at 3.0000 based on the Bible. But I forget how it goes.

It's based on 1 Kings 7:23 - And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.
March 25th, 2014 at 12:11:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
'In Jesus name, amen.' What? Jesus is a modern
name, nobody was named that 2000 years ago
in Palestine. Silliness personified. Talk like this
in the 1200's would have got your imprisoned
and killed by the Church. Such forgiving, understanding
folks..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2014 at 5:18:19 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
It's based on 1 Kings 7:23 - And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Claim: Responding to pressure from religious groups, Alabama's state legislature redefined the value of pi from 3.14159 to 3 in order to bring it in line with Biblical precepts.

Source: snopes.com.
March 25th, 2014 at 9:31:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Jesus is a modern name, nobody was named that 2000 years ago in Palestine.

Jesus had the same name as Joshua, and it was a common Jewish name. Since they lived 1300 years apart, they wouldn't have pronounced their names exactly the same. Both names are transliterated into the Latin alphabet, but they are different since once was first transliterated into Greek alphabet, then into the Latin alphabet.

The word "Christ" was not a common name.

The following name محمد, has been transliterated into the Latin alphabet in a number of different ways. Mohammad (primarily in Iran and Afghanistan), Muhammad (in Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, and Malaysia), Muhammed (Arab World, primarily in North Africa), Mohamed, Mohammed, Mohamad and Muhammad (Arab World), Muhammed, Muhamed (Bosnia and Herzegovina), Muhammed, Muhamed, Muhammet, or Muhamet.

I don't know how common the name محمد was before the Prophet was given it. I suspect that it was not usual.
March 25th, 2014 at 1:15:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Jesus had the same name as Joshua, and it was a common Jewish name. .

My point is, it wasn't Jesus or anything that
sounded remotely like Jesus.

" The English spelling of Yeshua is “Joshua.” However, when translated from Hebrew into the Greek language, the name Yeshua becomes Iēsous."

This was pronounced ee-ay-zoo, which is actually
close to the Spanish hey-soos.. Jesus actual name,
the one he answered to, was probably yes-shoe-a,
which is a far cry from 'Jesus'.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 25th, 2014 at 1:53:10 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
The word "Christ" was not a common name.

I thought Christ was not a name but more like a title for messiah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by no means was it a last name.
March 25th, 2014 at 2:33:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I thought Christ was not a name but more like a title for messiah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by no means was it a last name.

Family names have a spotty track record in antiquity. The Romans had a complex system of family names, enough so we can talk about the Julio-Claudian or Flavian or Severan families (or dynasties), for example. The Greeks didn't. The Hebrews used a patronymic system, where men, in particular, were known as, say "Isaac son of Abraham."

My understanding is that Russians did the exact same thing, adopting family names only in the time of Peter the Great, and only through government decree. In any case, they kept the patronymics along anyway.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 25th, 2014 at 6:35:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard

Yes you are correct. But all names were a king of description at one time.

The original phrase was "Jesus the Christ",
Matthew 16:20 Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.
Matthew 1:16 And Jacob begot Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus who is called Christ.

But after a time it was converted into a name, "Jesus Christ" to signify that there would be no other messiahs and to easily differentiate him from other people with the same name.
March 25th, 2014 at 7:12:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Yes you are correct. But all names were a king of description at one time.

In Yiddish history class, he ws called "Yeshu ha Notzri," which manes Jesus the Nazarene (not Jesus of Nazareth). Curiously, the only other time I've heard him called that is in the Serrat song about the "saeta" we discussed elsewhere. There's a spoken line at the beginning which goes, if I can trust my memory:

"¿Quién me presta una escalera para subir al madero, para quitarle los clavos a Jesús el Nazareno?"

BTW the appelation "of" and "the" followed by a place name or a "nationality" (for lack of a better word) was common among peoples who lacked family names. Plenty of Greeks were known that way, and in "historical" novels set in ancient times you often run across names like "John the Syriac" or "Josephus the Jew."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>