No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
4 votes (36.36%)
4 votes (36.36%)

11 members have voted

March 24th, 2014 at 12:20:22 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I always thought the Christian God's name was 'Hallowed'.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 24th, 2014 at 12:20:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Yeshua is the Hebrew name for the Lord. It means "Yahweh [the Lord] is Salvation." The English spelling of Yeshua is “Joshua.”

Whatever it was, it wasn't anything close to
Jesus when he was alive. The Bible is full
of errors and mistakes yet it's supposed to
be taken literally?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2014 at 12:24:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
BTW, the name of Greece is not Greece, and the name of Japan is not Japan. While we're at it, the name of Germany is neither Germany nor Alemania (Spanish) and Spain is not called Spain in Spanish, either.

The name of Greece is Hellas, Japan is Nippon, Germany is Deutschland, and Spain is España.

I know the whys of all these, except Nippon.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 24th, 2014 at 12:28:49 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Evenbob

Whatever it was, it wasn't anything close to
Jesus when he was alive. The Bible is full
of errors and mistakes yet it's supposed to
be taken literally?

You think the translation of a name from one language to another to another is a mistake?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 24th, 2014 at 12:52:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I know the whys of all these, except Nippon.

Both Nippon and Nihon literally mean "the sun's origin", and are the basis for "Land of the Rising Sun". Imperial correspondence with the Chinese Sui Dynasty (1400-1500 years ago) used this title referring to Japan's eastward position relative to China.

The name "Mexico" is dated 600 to 700 years ago and is the Nahuatl word for "place of the Mexica" but so many books were destroyed that it is not known where the word "Mexicatl" came from.
March 24th, 2014 at 4:07:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: TheCesspit
I always thought the Christian God's name was 'Hallowed'.

*snort* You should submit that joke to The Family Circus.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 24th, 2014 at 5:39:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Dalex64
You think the translation of a name from one language to another to another is a mistake?

Absolutely. Your name is your name in your language
ONLY. People pray to Jesus and he was never called
that, not even close. I don't care if Bob is 'Ectruas'
in another language, my name is Bob..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 24th, 2014 at 6:03:11 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
*snort* You should submit that joke to The Family Circus.

I'm not sure if that's a compliment....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 24th, 2014 at 7:24:38 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Absolutely. Your name is your name in your language
ONLY. People pray to Jesus and he was never called
that, not even close. I don't care if Bob is 'Ectruas'
in another language, my name is Bob..

This reminds me of that story of the Texas politician who in debating if we should use Spanish translations of government forms and such said, "If English is good enough for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ it's good enough for me."
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
March 24th, 2014 at 8:29:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
This reminds me of that story of the Texas politician who in debating if we should use Spanish translations of government forms and such said, "If English is good enough for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ it's good enough for me."

Good one.

There's another one where Texas sets Pi at 3.0000 based on the Bible. But I forget how it goes.

There are many valid criticisms of the Bible, and of its various translations. Some are technical, some are literary, but the tranlsation of names is the least of it and often very, very irrelevant. Names don't travel well, but get mangled, translated, adapted or changed between languages.

Take John, which seems simple. It is Jean (pronounced Jan) in French, Juan in Spanish, Jan in various germanic languages, and more. Or simply take Jesus. It's a very common name in Spanish Latin America, but unheard of in the US (other than in latina American immigrants).

Back to the Bible, it doesn't help that Hebrew names in Roman times had suffered changes, with many Romanized or Latinized names going around, plsu the fact that the New Testament was written in Greek (as far as I understand the history of it). Had the names remained intact, that would ahve been a miracle. And I say this even though there are similarities between the Hebrew and Greek alphabets.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 4 of 6<123456>