No votes (0%)
4 votes (36.36%)
4 votes (36.36%)

11 members have voted

March 24th, 2014 at 1:13:12 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Nobody called him Jesus when he was alive, that wasn't his name.

Really? I never heard anyone say that.
March 24th, 2014 at 4:13:24 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Nobody called him Jesus when he was
alive, that wasn't his name.

Then what was it?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 24th, 2014 at 8:17:29 AM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
Then what was it?
His name was Yehoshua, which is the Hebrew for Joshua. In the Aramaic speech of the time (very similar to Hebrew), he was Yeshua was transliterates into Jesus.
March 24th, 2014 at 8:31:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: theodores
His name was Yehoshua, which is the Hebrew for Joshua. In the Aramaic speech of the time (very similar to Hebrew), he was Yeshua was transliterates into Jesus.

BTW, Peter was certainly not named "Peter," though I don't know what his name was. I'm less clear on the others.

Of that other historically important group of four men, though, we know John, Paul and George were named thus, but Ringo's name was actually Richard.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 24th, 2014 at 8:44:35 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I found this online

Quote: http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/jesusoryeshua.htm
Yeshua is the Hebrew name for the Lord. It means "Yahweh [the Lord] is Salvation." The English spelling of Yeshua is “Joshua.” However, when translated from Hebrew into the Greek language, the name Yeshua becomes Iēsous. The English spelling for Iēsous is “Jesus.”

Basically, what this means is Joshua and Jesus are the same name. One is translated from Hebrew into English, the other from Greek into English. It is also interesting to note, the names "Joshua" and "Isaiah" are essentially the same names as Yeshua in Hebrew. They mean "Savior" and "the salvation of the Lord."
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 24th, 2014 at 8:52:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Dalex64
I found this online

There can be a great deal of argument about the pronunciation of what many claim is written as "YHWH," but I can categorically state the phoneme "sh" is completely absent. The Hebrew letter for that is called "shin" and does not appear anywhere in God's name.
March 24th, 2014 at 8:58:46 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out. was one of my favorite lines from any short story.

If memory serves, that's from "The Nine Billion Names of God" one of Clarke's rare stories that leave me thinking "So what?" And that's odd because the man was masterful when it came to short stories.

BTW about the trinity: classic example of double-think. It's one, but it's three, but it's one, but it's three, there is no such person as Mark Anthony and we've always been at war with Eastasia.
March 24th, 2014 at 10:41:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out. was one of my favorite lines from any short story.
If memory serves, that's from "The Nine Billion Names of God" ..

Of course, and given the topic of this thread.
March 24th, 2014 at 11:47:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Dalex64
I found this online

Quote: http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/f/jesusoryeshua.htm
Yeshua is the Hebrew name for the Lord. It means "Yahweh [the Lord] is Salvation." The English spelling of Yeshua is “Joshua.” However, when translated from Hebrew into the Greek language, the name Yeshua becomes Iēsous. The English spelling for Iēsous is “Jesus.”

Basically, what this means is Joshua and Jesus are the same name. One is translated from Hebrew into English, the other from Greek into English. It is also interesting to note, the names "Joshua" and "Isaiah" are essentially the same names as Yeshua in Hebrew. They mean "Savior" and "the salvation of the Lord."

Joshua lived roughly 1355-1245 B.C. so Jesus had his name. It was a very common name at the time (and in the present) and indicated nothing special. By attaching the "the Christ" , and later "Jesus Christ" it indicated that he was anointed.

In King James Version of the bible, YHWH is translated in English as LORD (all capitals). Adonai (literally means master) is translated as "the Lord" where only the first letter is capital.

Other conventions are: El (god), Elohim (god, singular and plural form, depending on the context), El Shaddai (god almighty), Elyon (highest) and Avinu (our father).
March 24th, 2014 at 12:08:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Of course, and given the topic of this thread.

Of course, but 1) reading Clarke is not as common as you'd suspect, and 2) knowing to spell C-L-A-R-K-E with the silent "e" at the end is an acquired skill ;)

I think he also wrote a story to "explain" the Star of Bethlehem as a super nova, which unfortunately took out a planet full of sentient beings in the process. I didn't like it, either.
Page 3 of 6<123456>