Original Sin?

January 1st, 2015 at 10:32:10 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dennis Miller
What is guilt? Guilt is the pledge drive constantly hammering in our heads that keeps us from fully enjoying the show. Guilt is the reason they put the articles in Playboy.

Quote: Philip Yancey
I think guilt is directional. You should get rid of it, but the way to get rid of it is not to get rid of the guilt feelings. It is to get rid of the wrong that you did that caused the guilt feelings.

Quote: Gretchen Rubin
Negative emotions like loneliness, envy, and guilt have an important role to play in a happy life; they're big, flashing signs that something needs to change.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 1st, 2015 at 3:30:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Speaking of sin...

Why did Jesus call the money changing going on where he turned tables over a den of thieves? Was this criminal behavior even outside of a place of worship, doing "money changing." (I know the point of the example was other than that, just curious why he called it thievery)

I figure Jesus quotes aren't allowed to be wrong, so it had to be crime, if he called them thieves.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 1st, 2015 at 10:55:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: FrGamble
Some stories are myths because it is an important genre of literature and can get across truths that are divinely inspired. Myth and Divine Inspiration by the Holy Spirit are not mutually exclusive. Also myth and truth are not mutually exclusive, don't get myth confused with fiction.

That seems like a very sensible adult way to look at the oldest books in the bible. Some purists get all worked up trying to explain that there was an antedeluvian era where people lived for hundreds of years. Just admit that it is a myth, and know that Myth and Divine Inspiration by the Holy Spirit are not mutually exclusive.

This compliment is a brief interruption in the attack on the father.
January 5th, 2015 at 3:01:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
About 2015 years ago, God paid a nocturnal visit to then 12 year old Mary and left her with child.

It won't be long now until the Coppers from Operation Yew Tree catch up with him.
January 5th, 2015 at 3:04:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
About 2015 years ago, God paid a nocturnal visit to then 12 year old Mary and left her with child.

The word virgin is a mistranslation, it actually
reads 'young girl' and shows that way in the
new translations.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2015 at 5:46:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Mistranslation of word virgin ....
yeah, I know. Same as with "dominion" when proper translation would be "stewardship".

But lighten up .... its a joke!! Its about Operation Yew Tree which targets men in their sixties or eighties about events from the sixties to eighties. Just as in that other thread... there are not really giant crabs hunting Ashley by her big toe. Its humor.
January 5th, 2015 at 6:02:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff

But lighten up .... its a joke!! Its about Operation Yew Treer.

Oh. It's a Brit thing. Never mind. You
know way more about what happens
here then we know about what happens
there. Never even heard of Jimmy Savile.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 5th, 2015 at 8:47:35 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Flea, you should know better than agree with Bob concerning his knowledge of Catholicism or the Bible.

Rxwine, I forgot to reply that Jesus tells the money changers and others that they should stop making "My House (namely the Temple) into a den of thieves." I don't think selling animals or exchanging money was necessarily a crime by itself outside of the temple.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
January 5th, 2015 at 9:02:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Flea, you should know better than agree with Bob concerning his knowledge of Catholicism or the Bible.

I am sure his knowledge of each is greater than mine and I would venture to think that despite your indoctrination rather than education you are more knowledgeable about each than he is.

However, I refer you to Kelly MacDonald's rejoinder to "A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing" ..."A lot of knowledge can be dangerous too....keeps you from seeing the heart of things". (Girl in the Cafe).

Do you dispute the 'young girl' versus 'sexually inexperienced' interpretation?
Do you dispute the 'dominion' rather than 'stewardship' interpretation?
Do you really think Ashley is under attack by toe-crazed crabs?
January 5th, 2015 at 11:34:36 PM permalink
Evenbob

Or the good Padre's. Mary was a virgin because
she said so. Very convincing, who would argue
with that. 2000 year old hearsay evidence,
it convinced me.