Original Sin?

December 30th, 2014 at 11:02:48 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
If the universe has no purpose, shows no favorites, and simply exists why are we talking about finding harmony with nature, respecting animals, and reaping what you sow?

Oh, you don't have to do that and
many many people don't. They lead
miserable, unhappy, stressful lives
because they fight their nature every
minute of the day. Ever wonder why
the Indians didn't have heart attacks
at 40, weren't stressed out, had no
need for mental institutions? They
actively tried to live in harmony with
the universe. Left to their own devices,
that's what people naturally do. The
native Hawaiians were the same way,
till the missionaries arrived. A happier
people they had never seen. Until they
were told they were really awful sinners
and needed to buy big doses of Jesus
to straighten them out and get miserable
like the rest of Christiandom.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2014 at 1:58:48 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
They lead
miserable, unhappy, stressful lives
because they fight their nature every
minute of the day.

Again the discussion comes back to what is our fundamental nature. I believe that we are fundamentally good, but we need help to reach our potential and to live lives of kindness and generosity. When you say we are miserable because we fight against our nature, to me that means we are fighting to be mean and selfish and that does indeed make us miserable. What do you believe our fundamental nature is?

This would explain why the Indians and native Hawaiians when living in harmony with themselves and the world lived good moral lives. Of course all these civilizations had rituals and rites to ask for and receive forgiveness when they sinned or made mistakes - it is common in every society.

I find it a huge failure of the Christians in your life to give you such a negative impression of Christendom. I apologize on behalf of all my brothers and sisters. The Gospel is truly meant to be good news to confirm your goodness and forgive your failings. To recognize that you are a child of God unconditionally loved by God as witnessed to by the passion, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. There should be nothing that could make you happier - your life has meaning and you will live forever!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 30th, 2014 at 2:27:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
What do you believe our fundamental nature is?

To be selfish. Spend time with a 2 year
old, it's all about them. Sharing to
survive comes naturally, as does
cooperation. Our nature is to get along
with others, or try to, anyway.

Of course all these civilizations had rituals and rites to ask for and receive forgiveness when they sinned or made mistakes

They had no sin, there is no such thing. They
mostly had rituals for rites of passage, for
someone who died, for marriage.

such a negative impression of Christendom.
I apologize on behalf of all my brothers and sisters.

You can't do that, so I don't accept it. You
can only apologize for what you have done,
not others. What makes me angry at the
Church, not at you, is they got away with so
many heinous crimes against humanity for
so long, and never had to pay for it. They
were the judge jury and executioner. It's
only in recent times, with modern laws, that
they finally started paying a heavy price. The
huge amount of cash they have paid out in
the last 30 years, hush money, to keep from
being sued by victims of an out of control clergy,
has almost bankrupted them.

If the Church had been held to account for all
the atrocities it committed, when it committed
them, it would have disappeared a thousand
years ago. For a moment lets forget the well
known crimes against humanity. Lets just consider
what they did to so called witches. I was very
interested in Wicca 20 years ago and knew some
modern witches personally. They loathe and despise the
Church for what it did to innocent members of
their pagan religion for centuries and centuries.

Padre, I don't hold you accountable, I believe you
are sincere. But should we not hold the Nazis
accountable for the Holocaust, for what they did
to innocent people? And should we no hold the
Church to the same standard for what they did
in the name of their god? Pretending it never
happened won't work.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2014 at 2:43:35 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Padre - in all seriousness - do you know what indulgences were for each particular sin…back in the day?
December 30th, 2014 at 2:59:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: aceofspades
Padre - in all seriousness - do you know what indulgences were for each particular sin…back in the day?

"Certain Bishops of the Catholic Church saw indulgences as a very good way to get rich, and it worked magnificently. Threaten an ignorant person with eternal burning, and he’ll give you some money to feel safe again. It got ridiculously out of hand from about 500 until Martin Luther spoke against it in his 95 Theses, in 1517. Indulgences are still given in the Catholic Church – some which remit part of the punishment owed for sin, and some which remit all. The most recent indulgences were granted in 2007 by Pope Benedict XVI, for people who took part in pilgrimages to Lourdes."
December 30th, 2014 at 3:41:13 PM permalink
aceofspades
"Certain Bishops of the Catholic Church saw indulgences as a very good way to get rich, and it worked magnificently. Threaten an ignorant person with eternal burning, and he’ll give you some money to feel safe again. It got ridiculously out of hand from about 500 until Martin Luther spoke against it in his 95 Theses, in 1517. Indulgences are still given in the Catholic Church – some which remit part of the punishment owed for sin, and some which remit all. The most recent indulgences were granted in 2007 by Pope Benedict XVI, for people who took part in pilgrimages to Lourdes."

I was trying to find out about the actual monetary amount for each type of sin (was it a percentage of net worth? flat rate per type of sin?)
December 30th, 2014 at 7:44:32 PM permalink
FrGamble
The practice of selling indulgences is an abuse of the faith and anyone who did such a thing was wrong. There is absolutely no way anything close to the sin Martin Luther was striving to reform happened anytime near the year 500 AD, you are about 1,000 years off. God's love has always been recognized to be indulgent beyond our greatest imaginations. Therefore by striving to grow in holiness, like through a pilgrimage to Lourdes, God's indulgent love can be promised to you. In no way can you pay for this free gift of God's love today. They are given in return for holy acts like reading the Bible for a half-hour or visiting a cemetery on All Soul's Day, visiting the sick or prisoners, etc...

A key image that might help you to understand indulgences as they are practiced today is to think of a huge reservoir of God's grace that were gained through Christ's victory over sin and death. This reservoir holds more than we could all ever need, it is surplus, so infinitely indulgent and generous is God's love for us. When you strive for holiness and freedom from sin, God through His Church pours out abundant Grace upon you so that more than your forgiveness of guilt from sin you are also helped to free yourself from even the attachment from sin. Hope that is helpful.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 30th, 2014 at 7:50:17 PM permalink
aceofspades
what makes Lourdes so holy as compared to say, some random star billions of light years away…?
December 30th, 2014 at 8:00:50 PM permalink
FrGamble
To be selfish. Spend time with a 2 year
old, it's all about them. Sharing to
survive comes naturally, as does
cooperation. Our nature is to get along
with others, or try to, anyway.

Since it seems like in your answer you are already doubting yourself, I'll let it go. I think you have to wrestle with the idea that if our fundamental nature is to be selfish, as seen in 2 year olds, then why does sharing eventually come so naturally to us?

Quote:

They had no sin, there is no such thing. They
mostly had rituals for rites of passage, for
someone who died, for marriage.

Come now, there was all kind of rituals to expel someone from the community, to welcome them back, to forgive sins, to appease the Great Spirit if mistakes were made. We all feel remorse for some of our actions or inaction and there have always been ways to free us from such destructive feelings.

Quote:
You can't do that, so I don't accept it. You
can only apologize for what you have done,
not others.

Padre, I don't hold you accountable, I believe you
are sincere. But should we not hold the Nazis
accountable for the Holocaust, for what they did
to innocent people? And should we no hold the
Church to the same standard for what they did
in the name of their god? Pretending it never
happened won't work.

I hear the voice of BeachBabs in my head saying whoever brings up the Holocaust first has lost the argument but I will ignore it because you make a good point. However, I wonder how if you won't accept my apology because it wasn't me who did you wrong - how can you hold the Church responsible for what no one currently alive in the Church has done to witches? It's kind of like condemning Germans for what the Nazis did.

I'm not trying to pretend that the Church has not made awful mistakes in its long history, it did. In some ways this can get us back on track to the original theme of this thread. How can good things like the Church do such awful things like the burning of witches? When dealing with mankind, which make up the Church, we are capable of such amazing things like the creation of universities, hospitals, charities galore and also horrible destructive sins. How is this possible? It is because of original sin which weakens our original goodness and makes us easy prey for power grabs, greed, and pride.
December 30th, 2014 at 8:32:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
to welcome them back, to forgive sins, {/q]

The concept of sin didn't exist for the
Hawaiians, it had to be taught to them.
Sin does not exist except in the mind.
If you don't accept the concept, as I
do not, it's nonexistent.

How is this possible? It is because of original sin

You don't get to have it both ways. Shall we make
John Rockefeller into a saint because he ruined
peoples lives on a daily basis, then used the money
to build hospitals and universities? The ends do
not justify the means, as you seem to be implying.
The Church was a monster for centuries, but that's
OK because did some good with the money they stole?

It doesn't work, padre. A truly just person, like Jesus,
didn't lead an unjust and out of control life to get
there. He was a just person from the start. He didn't
say, oh yeah, I killed a guy when I was 19 and stole
all his money, but I'm real sorry now so it's OK. It
doesn't work that way. We put people prison to
pay their debt to society, but they can never
pay the debt they owe to the person or family
they wronged.

So you cannot apologize for the Church, what
they did stands as a testament to the hypocrites
they are. They call themselves the church of
Jesus, but they lost that privilege when they
committed the first human rights violation
1500 years ago. What they are is the failed
church of the lord.