November 30th, 2014 at 8:50:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
The Jews believed in more than one god a
long time ago. That's why the number one
commandment deals with it. They gathered
a bunch of gods under one name, Yahweh,
and forced everyone into that way of thinking.
Yahweh was the creator god, I believe.

Absolutely not true! That commandment arises because some Jews in assimilating into other cultures took on pagan religions and their gods, but never did Jews believe in more than one God. Abraham was the Father of monotheism.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2014 at 9:56:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Absolutely not true! .

If I proved it you would just say they
were wrong. What's the point.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2014 at 10:37:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
The point would be growing in knowledge. The reality is that you cannot prove it. In fact I would be interested if you were to share even a shred of evidence that would lead you to say such a ridiculous thing.
The Jewish faith is monotheistic, YHWH reveals Himself to Abraham as the one true God.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2014 at 10:39:35 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
removed
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 30th, 2014 at 10:46:06 PM permalink
Evenbob

The Jewish faith is monotheistic,.

Not always. Yahweh was the creator god,
and they made him the big Kahuna to
get rid of the competition. I'm not making
this up, do some research. Or don't, makes
no difference to me.

Start with Joseph Campbell and his extensive
research into the origins of religion. You might
be surprised.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2014 at 7:10:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Absolutely not true! That commandment arises because some Jews in assimilating into other cultures took on pagan religions and their gods, but never did Jews believe in more than one God.

Perhaps they never worshipped more than one god, but they did believe others existed. It says as much in Exodus, where the pharaoh's magicians can work miracles (such as turning sticks into snakes). It's just the god on Moses' side is more powerful than the gods on the pharaoh's side.

This was the norm for most cultures of the time in that area, and later on in Europe.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 1st, 2014 at 9:36:43 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
If I proved it you would just say they
were wrong. What's the point.

Exactly Bob - this thread is merely turning into the padre's attempt at missioning
December 1st, 2014 at 10:57:39 AM permalink
FrGamble
I really don't know why you are saying that Ace. In regards to Evenbob's statement, I have indeed studied and researched such issues and have never heard anything like what he claims. I'll look into Joseph Campbell's writings, but surely Bob knows that one academic's opinion does not make it a fact.
December 1st, 2014 at 11:23:17 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
I really don't know why you are saying that Ace. In regards to Evenbob's statement, I have indeed studied and researched such issues and have never heard anything like what he claims. I'll look into Joseph Campbell's writings, but surely Bob knows that one academic's opinion does not make it a fact.

But yet you claim the Bible is fact!!! Do any academics opine that Adam and Eve is the way in which man came to be…? Do any academics opine that a talking serpent actually existed? Do any academics opine that Noah built an ark upon which two of every single living thing on the planet at that time was harbored? (If so, and evolution is wrong, how did species come to be that were not saved by Noah?)
December 1st, 2014 at 11:34:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
I have indeed studied and researched such issues and have never heard anything like what he claims.

Really? This took 10 sec to find on
Wiki:

In the oldest biblical literature (12th–11th centuries BC), Yahweh is a typical ancient Near Eastern "divine warrior" who leads the heavenly army against Israel's enemies; he and Israel are bound by a covenant under which Yahweh will protect Israel and, in turn, Israel will not worship other gods.[4]:158–159 At a later period, Yahweh functioned as the dynastic cult (the god of the royal house)[5]:69–70 with the royal courts promoting him as the supreme god over all others in the pantheon (notably Baal, El, and Asherah (who is thought by some scholars to have been his consort)).[6][7]:917 Over time, Yahwism became increasingly intolerant of rivals, and the royal court and temple promoted Yahweh as the god of the entire cosmos, possessing all the positive qualities previously attributed to the other gods and goddesses.[5]:69–70 [7]:917 With the work of Second Isaiah (the theoretical author of the second part of the Book of Isaiah) towards the end of the Babylonian exile (6th century BC), the very existence of foreign gods was denied, and Yahweh was proclaimed as the creator of the cosmos and the true god of all the world.

Yahweh was one of many until they made
him the one and only. This is very old
news.