Original Sin?

November 30th, 2014 at 2:06:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It's interesting that atheists prefer such a fundamentalist reading of the Bible.

How else would it be read? If you change words
to make it say what you want, that's trickery and
makes the document worthless. Right?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2014 at 2:55:11 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: petroglyph
If this were the msm I would define it as "spin".

What is the "msm"?
November 30th, 2014 at 4:03:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
One of the big obstacles has been each major "Christian" religion being able to redefine the bible in a way that suits them.

That's why there are 2500 different types
of Christianity. They all change it and interpret
it how they like. The Catholics even added
stuff that's not in the Bible. Most of what they
believe about Mary isn't in the Bible, they
made it up because it they felt like it.

That's why some Christians call them the Cult
of Mary and say they are really a pagan religion.
Its all confusing to us on the outside, it all
sounds like nonsense, because it mostly is. All
of it, just gives people a reason to feel special
and important.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 30th, 2014 at 4:53:38 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: aceofspades
What is the "msm"?

Mainstream media. CNN, MSNBC, etc.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 30th, 2014 at 5:03:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
It's interesting that atheists prefer such a fundamentalist reading of the Bible.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 30th, 2014 at 5:38:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
. Is your definition of anyone who is not Catholic an atheist?

No no, Catholics have far kinder things
to say about atheists than about non
Catholic Christians. They're considered
heretics by the Church.

her·e·sy
ˈherəsē/
noun
belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious (especially Christian) doctrine.

The Church believes its doctrine to be the right
one, so everybody else is guilty of heresy.
November 30th, 2014 at 7:34:55 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I feel bad that I haven't been clear enough that my perspectives, ideas, and thoughts especially about the Bible and its interpretation don't come from me. I mean they are mine, but I am steeped in the thousands of years of traditions and study of the Catholic Church. The same Church that put together the Bible itself (which makes it laughable that Catholics in some ways added or took away from the Bible - that is something that the protestant reformers did however). Maybe I haven't made it clear because I can't really separate my thoughts from the amazing work of saints and scholars literally stretching back to the unique founder of Catholicism, none other than Jesus Christ Himself! I truly stand on the shoulders of giants who have put more thought, prayer, and study of the Scriptures in their original languages and from a tradition that flows from the very people who actually first wrote the Gospels and Epistles. Literally if we put together all of the time everyone on this forum has and will have in their lifetime spent studying the Scriptures it wouldn't come close to the expertise of the Catholic Church's.

I also feel bad that you all are trying, with sincere hearts I am sure, to make sense of all these things on your lonesome. I need to continue to strive to be more patient and understanding that you are at a great disadvantage in talking about these things. That is NOT to disrespect your valid questions and comments, I am VERY grateful for the chance to discuss these things with people who normally wouldn't have the opportunity to hear the Church's position, albeit couched as my perspective but it is much more.

This is precisely why there are so many different denominations of Christianity. No large group of people doubted the Church's teaching on Mary for over 1,500 years. However, when you divorce yourself from the Tradition that gave rise to not only the Bible, but the milieu from which it came from, it is only natural for individuals to come up with their own interpretations. Make no mistake about it my posts are firmly grounded on the Catholic Church's teaching and are not just my own opinions. I wouldn't dare to have the hubris with my elementary knowledge of Hebrew and Greek to give you FrGamble's interpretation of the Scriptures. Once again I'm sorry if I gave that impression.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2014 at 7:38:45 PM permalink
aceofspades
I feel bad that I haven't been clear enough that my perspectives, ideas, and thoughts especially about the Bible and its interpretation don't come from me. I mean they are mine, but I am steeped in the thousands of years of traditions and study of the Catholic Church. The same Church that put together the Bible itself (which makes it laughable that Catholics in some ways added or took away from the Bible - that is something that the protestant reformers did however). Maybe I haven't made it clear because I can't really separate my thoughts from the amazing work of saints and scholars literally stretching back to the unique founder of Catholicism, none other than Jesus Christ Himself! I truly stand on the shoulders of giants who have put more thought, prayer, and study of the Scriptures in their original languages and from a tradition that flows from the very people who actually first wrote the Gospels and Epistles. Literally if we put together all of the time everyone on this forum has and will have in their lifetime spent studying the Scriptures it wouldn't come close to the expertise of the Catholic Church's.

I also feel bad that you all are trying, with sincere hearts I am sure, to make sense of all these things on your lonesome. I need to continue to strive to be more patient and understanding that you are at a great disadvantage in talking about these things. That is NOT to disrespect your valid questions and comments, I am VERY grateful for the chance to discuss these things with people who normally wouldn't have the opportunity to hear the Church's position, albeit couched as my perspective but it is much more.

This is precisely why there are so many different denominations of Christianity. No large group of people doubted the Church's teaching on Mary for over 1,500 years. However, when you divorce yourself from the Tradition that gave rise to not only the Bible, but the milieu from which it came from, it is only natural for individuals to come up with their own interpretations. Make no mistake about it my posts are firmly grounded on the Catholic Church's teaching and are not just my own opinions. I wouldn't dare to have the hubris with my elementary knowledge of Hebrew and Greek to give you FrGamble's interpretation of the Scriptures. Once again I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Why do you discount the thousands of years that other religions have been around? Can you disprove that the Roman, Greek or Norse gods do not exist? Their stories have been around way longer than that of the Bible
November 30th, 2014 at 7:46:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: aceofspades
Why do you discount the thousands of years that other religions have been around? Can you disprove that the Roman, Greek or Norse gods do not exist? Their stories have been around way longer than that of the Bible

When it comes to their sacred texts I would not discount their interpretations. However where is the historical evidence that their gods truly exist? What type of morality did their gods present, is it valid and helpful to humanity to follow, and if so why are their few if any followers of these gods still around today?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2014 at 7:48:12 PM permalink
aceofspades
When it comes to their sacred texts I would not discount their interpretations. However where is the historical evidence that their gods truly exist? What type of morality did their gods present, is it valid and helpful to humanity to follow, and if so why are their few if any followers of these gods still around today?

Once again you do not answer the question

This thread is merely logic versus fantasy

It was fun in the beginning but padre, your constant refusal to answer questions or answering them by reference to the Bible is more and more circular reasoning