Original Sin?

November 30th, 2014 at 7:54:34 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Wait don't go, I couldn't agree more that we need logic to dominate all our discussions especially about religion. I don't know how I didn't answer your question. Logically I believe the fact that no one really takes seriously the pantheon of Roman or Norse gods as proof that they are not true. They were valid at the time to try to explain the mysteries of life for the people of that time and their certain ethic they wanted to instill in their culture. They were powerful myths but were superseded by the reality of Christ as God incarnate and morality that was universally accepted as the morality that truly serves human beings and the common good.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2014 at 7:59:14 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
Wait don't go, I couldn't agree more that we need logic to dominate all our discussions especially about religion. I don't know how I didn't answer your question. Logically I believe the fact that no one really takes seriously the pantheon of Roman or Norse gods as proof that they are not true. They were valid at the time to try to explain the mysteries of life for the people of that time and their certain ethic they wanted to instill in their culture. They were powerful myths but were superseded by the reality of Christ as God incarnate and morality that was universally accepted as the morality that truly serves human beings and the common good.

You merely throw those religions away--your reason, nobody takes them seriously---with that logic, once more and more people wake up to the fact that there is no Gid, that means you will have to realize it as God will not be taken seriously anymore as well
Your logic is beyond faulty -- you feel that merely because I do not believe in your God does not mean your God does not exist---so merely because others no longer believe that the Roman, Greek and Norse gods exist does not mean that they do not exist
November 30th, 2014 at 8:12:36 PM permalink
FrGamble
No, my reason is trying to get at why people don't believe in the Norse gods anymore? I believe it is because they do not make sense to people who have through Christ discovered the beauty of sacrificial love and humility. There was a reason those religions were never universal they fit in a society that valued conflict, strength to dominate, and to extol how special the Norse or Roman people were above all others. Just because you don't believe in Christ doesn't make Him not exist or just because people don't believe in Zeus anymore doesn't necessarily mean he does not exist. The real question is why don't people seriously believe Zeus exists and why do billions of people believe Jesus Christ exists? Another question that may be helpful is why is it that you don't believe Jesus is God or that God does not exist?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 30th, 2014 at 8:14:05 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
What logically follows is that it is only a matter of time until the current religions are replaced by something else, or just disappear entirely.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 30th, 2014 at 8:16:29 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Dalex64
Wha logically follows is that it is only a matter of time until the current religions are replaced by something else, or finally just disappear entirely.

Granted, but what could also follow is that in the case of Christ we have found the truth and nothing will ever replace Him.
November 30th, 2014 at 8:22:49 PM permalink
aceofspades
This thread =

November 30th, 2014 at 8:25:14 PM permalink
FrGamble
The only thing that seems like circular logic in this thread is your instance that it is circular logic and therefore it is circular. I really would ask you to please point it out so that if it exists we can put an end to the circle and straighten it out.
November 30th, 2014 at 8:29:43 PM permalink
aceofspades
The only thing that seems like circular logic in this thread is your instance that it is circular logic and therefore it is circular. I really would ask you to please point it out so that if it exists we can put an end to the circle and straighten it out.

I'm tagging Bob into this thread - I have had enough again…Bob, the floor is yours
November 30th, 2014 at 8:34:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote:
Catholic Church's teaching and are not just my own opinions. I wouldn't dare to have the hubris with my elementary knowledge of Hebrew and Greek to give you FrGamble's interpretation of the Scriptures.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 30th, 2014 at 8:44:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Jews believed in more than one god a
long time ago. That's why the number one
commandment deals with it. They gathered
a bunch of gods under one name, Yahweh,
and forced everyone into that way of thinking.
Yahweh was the creator god, I believe.

The Roman and Greek gods are just as real
as the Jews god. In other words, not at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.