Original Sin?

April 27th, 2020 at 2:15:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
They probably chose the ones that were true.

They ran them by Snopes and Fact Check.
What they did was pick the most popular
ones, and the ones that fit closest together
for the agenda they wanted. Truth had
nothing to do with it. And I wasn't joking,
some had Jesus flying like Superman. A
god could do that if he could walk on water,
right???
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2020 at 5:55:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: aceofspades
Who chose them and what made them the authority on what was true or false?

Those who knew Jesus and witnessed the events.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2020 at 7:40:37 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83

Who witnessed the events in Genesis?
April 27th, 2020 at 7:48:35 PM permalink
Evenbob

Jesus and witnesses who saw the events picked the books that went into the New testament? Surely you jest. It was done in the 4th century.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2020 at 8:10:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades
Who witnessed the events in Genesis?

I thought you were asking about the miracles of Jesus. Nobody obviously witnessed the events of creation, it was revelation from God that allowed the sacred authors to write those stories.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2020 at 8:11:49 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Jesus and witnesses who saw the events picked the books that went into the New testament? Surely you jest. It was done in the 4th century.

What was done in the 4th century? The authentic letters, writings, and Gospels were circulated were around the early Church and accep9long before that.
April 27th, 2020 at 8:28:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
What was done in the 4th century? The council of nicea was in the fourth century.
May 22nd, 2020 at 5:35:05 PM permalink
Evenbob
My father-in-law, 95, died today at 1:30 p.m. he was surrounded by his family, literally surrounded. After he died, a minute later supposedly his favorite song came on the Christian radio network they were listening to in his room at the nursing home. Supposedly they all realized immediately this was a sign from God that their dad was okay and they all started bawling like babies at the miracle of it.

I thank the god that I wasn't there to witness this. Please hold any condolences I didn't even like the guy. He was a dyed-in-the-wool whip snapping Baptist minister and the power of it went totally to his head. He was an insufferable egomaniac.
May 22nd, 2020 at 5:41:37 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
My father-in-law, 95, died today at 1:30 p.m. he was surrounded by his family, literally surrounded. After he died, a minute later supposedly his favorite song came on the Christian radio network they were listening to in his room at the nursing home. Supposedly they all realized immediately this was a sign from God that their dad was okay and they all started bawling like babies at the miracle of it.

I thank the god that I wasn't there to witness this. Please hold any condolences I didn't even like the guy. He was a dyed-in-the-wool whip snapping Baptist minister and the power of it went totally to his head. He was an insufferable egomaniac.

My condolences
May 22nd, 2020 at 5:44:05 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
The original sin was when we started deciding to believe things absent Empirical proof. This tendency almost undoubtedly stifled our ingenuity and thereby caused us to not be as advanced now as we otherwise could have been. It is impossible to tally up all of the people, in the course of human history, who have been killed by one means or another in furtherance of one make believe character or the other.

Fortunately, the median age of those who are fervent in these beliefs trends older than the median age of the whole, which means the numbers in this regard are not being fully replaced. If we, as a whole, live long enough, the scourge of religion, particularly organized religion, will have been completely eradicated.

Statistically, I should live to see this number fall safely below 50%, so at least I’ll have that.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman