What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

April 3rd, 2018 at 9:35:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: zippyboy
John Wayne did Westerns, that's it. That was himself.

Yeah, no. John Wayne's best movies were The
Sands Of Iwa Jima, Green Berets,
Back to Bataan, Flying Leathernecks, High
and the Mighty, Fighting Seabees, Wake of
the Red Witch.

He was known for westerns because he did
so many, but he was at his best as a kick ass
hero in war movies or adventure stories
like North to Alaska and Wake of the Red
Witch.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2018 at 10:42:30 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
Speaking of John Wayne, we recently laid a family member to rest at a nice cemetery in Newport Beach. Coincidentally, he is about 200 feet from John Wayne's grave. This picture was taken after the service.

My condolences on your loss Wizard. However, that is pretty cool. I’m not sure what John Wayne’s connection to Newport was, but it must have been significant since they named an airport after him. His birth name wasn’t John Wayne though, so I guess you can put whatever you want on your tombstone?
April 3rd, 2018 at 10:47:45 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Time for your close-up

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 4th, 2018 at 3:29:58 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba

My condolences on your loss Wizard. However, that is pretty cool. I’m not sure what John Wayne’s connection to Newport was, but it must have been significant since they named an airport after him. His birth name wasn’t John Wayne though, so I guess you can put whatever you want on your tombstone?

Thanks. I did not know that wasn't his real name. He picked a perfect one for his personality.

I think John Wayne didn't like the scene in Hollywood. Rather that partying all night, I think he was probably happier riding horses in what would have been rural Orange County at that time. I don't know exactly where in OC he hung his hat, but it probably wasn't far from this cemetery, Pacific View, in Newport Beach. I read that for many years his grave was unmarked, because his family didn't to fight off tourists to see it. However, they eventually relented and put that modest one, but it's location is supposed to be secret but with smart phones, it's not hard to locate.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 4th, 2018 at 4:09:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Thanks. I did not know that wasn't his real name. He picked a perfect one for his personality.
Personality or Personna? He wanted everyone to call him Duke (an early role). Few of his roles were anywhere near historically accurate or else only skirted historical accuracy about as closely as Hollywood ever does.
April 4th, 2018 at 4:46:46 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

I think John Wayne didn't like the scene in Hollywood. Rather that partying all night, I think he was probably happier riding horses in what would have been rural Orange County at that time. I don't know exactly where in OC he hung his hat, but it probably wasn't far from this cemetery, Pacific View, in Newport Beach. I read that for many years his grave was unmarked, because his family didn't to fight off tourists to see it. However, they eventually relented and put that modest one, but it's location is supposed to be secret but with smart phones, it's not hard to locate.

Howard Hughes had a lot to do with John Wayne's death
He bought RKO Studios
Wanted to make a movie about Genghis Khan
John Wayne signed on
Hughes insisted it be shot in NV
It was filmed in areas with high radiation from the bomb tests
Just about everybody that worked on that movie died from cancer
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 4th, 2018 at 6:48:49 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Fleastiff
Personna?

I don't claim to know much about the real man, but I've heard his roles were not much of stretch.
April 4th, 2018 at 6:51:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Howard Hughes had a lot to do with John Wayne's death
He bought RKO Studios
Wanted to make a movie about Genghis Khan
John Wayne signed on
Hughes insisted it be shot in NV
It was filmed in areas with high radiation from the bomb tests
Just about everybody that worked on that movie died from cancer

I did not know this. I always thought his heavy smoking habit eventually caught up to him.

I wrote about this before, but the cemetery in Parowan NV is just full of kids and young adults, way more than you would expect. I'm told they were "down winders." The atomic test site in Nevada would wait for north-east winds to do a test, so the fallout wouldn't go over Las Vegas. Instead, it went right over Parowan and that part of southern Utah.
April 4th, 2018 at 9:59:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I did not know this. I always thought his heavy smoking habit eventually caught up to him.

I wrote about this before, but the cemetery in Parowan NV is just full of kids and young adults, way more than you would expect. I'm told they were "down winders." The atomic test site in Nevada would wait for north-east winds to do a test, so the fallout wouldn't go over Las Vegas. Instead, it went right over Parowan and that part of southern Utah.

But that movie was made a decade after the tests.

Quote: The Conqueror (1956): The Film that Killed John Wayne…Literally

The movie was notorious for being shot in the deserts of Utah, almost ten years after the United States Army conducted nuclear bomb testing there. Of the 220 people involved in the film, 91 would die of cancer, including Wayne, director Dick Powell, and every leading and supporting cast member: Agnes Moorehead, Susan Hayward, and John Hoyt. Another star, Pedro Armendáriz would also be diagnosed of cancer, but commit suicide after hearing the news. The number does not even include the extras and other people involved in filming. Numerous American Indians who served as Mongolian warriors contracted cancer in later years, and even John Wayne’s son Michael died in 2003 of cancer, after visiting his father on the set at age 22.
https://gcaggiano.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/the-conqueror-1956-the-film-that-killed-john-wayne-literally/

April 4th, 2018 at 10:05:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
But that movie was made a decade after the tests.

But evidently the half life of the fallout was longer than that.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER