What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

April 2nd, 2018 at 3:34:23 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What movies have I seen?
None.
Easter Weekend is not a time for anything good to be on TV. All that syrupy stuff or religious stuff. No good murder mysteries or anything. I finally gave up and spent the time repairing a cheapie electric razor with silverware rather than basic hand tools. Of course since the device malfunctioned half way through shaving my beard off, it was somewhat necessary to abandon any attempt to watch TV. Can't go around town with several weeks growth on one side of my face and clean shaven on the other. Sort of made there being no good movies on TV tolerable.
April 2nd, 2018 at 3:51:11 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
you are doxxing the wizard, a birthdate is valuable to identity theifs

Mike's birthday is posted in the wikipedia article about him. I would never ask anything personal in a public forum, like "How old is your daughter".
April 2nd, 2018 at 5:49:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
I don't know if your daughter is older or younger than your age when you saw Tarzan, but the amount of nudity in Tarzan compared to Westworld on HBO is world's apart.

That will give me something to look forward to then. If it is anywhere on the level of Game of Thrones, I shouldn't be disappointed.

And I stand corrected about it being an HBO show.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 2nd, 2018 at 5:56:20 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: zippyboy
Part of the allure, for my little-boy mind, was the sex robots of Roman World. Feeding me grapes. Calling me "m'lord".

Yes. Alex had such a fantasy in Clockwork Orange.

In the Westworld movie they showed you couldn't shoot a human because the guns sensed body temperature. That would suggest the robot prostitutes were cold in temperature, which would kind of ruin for me. Maybe I'm overthinking it, as usual.

Quote:
Cheesy, sure. But Yul striding with hands in pockets down the hallway was a "this is manly!" moment in my head. Something to strive for when I grew up.

Yes, that was cool. Maybe a little overly robotic, but I think it was part of the movie that the robots weren't perfect. I think that stride probably influenced the terminator in the Terminator. The more advanced terminators in the sequels were a little more human-like.
April 2nd, 2018 at 6:16:33 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I think HBOs Westworld will knock your socks off. The first season was amazingly good. Some complicated and subtle plot points, though, so you have to watch it without a lot of distractions to get the full effect.

Don't watch the end (last couple episodes) until you've seen the others in detail. I had to go back and re-watch a couple because I was all, wth? Then realized what I'd missed.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 2nd, 2018 at 11:14:20 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
In the Westworld movie they showed you couldn't shoot a human because the guns sensed body temperature. That would suggest the robot prostitutes were cold in temperature, which would kind of ruin for me. Maybe I'm overthinking it, as usual.

Maybe it is the cultural change between the 1973 film and the 2016 HBO show , but the implication on the show is that people wouldn't normally spend that much money just to buy sex. It would be much cheaper just to hire a regular prostitute. The fantasy of most of the guests was to commit realistic murder.

Thandie Newton (Crash and Hotel Rwanda) social activist and mother of three children including a 15 year old girl was asked why she took a role which requires her to be naked more often than clothed, be used and abused for the basest possible drives for not just sex but also sadistic murder.

She said she found the script shocking, but she came to see it as a dramatic way to fight these undercurrents in society, and not as a way to encourage them.

Surprisingly, even though the women are beautiful, the nudity becomes mind numbing when you are watching the show. It is not really erotic.
April 2nd, 2018 at 2:27:26 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Maybe it is the cultural change between the 1973 film and the 2016 HBO show , but the implication on the show is that people wouldn't normally spend that much money just to buy sex. It would be much cheaper just to hire a regular prostitute. The fantasy of most of the guests was to commit realistic murder.

I got that implication from the movie as well. There was a scene where they had to clean up the dead robots while the town slept and they were all over the street. As I recall, they said the cost was $1,000 per day, which would have been rather steep in 1973, although I think the movie took place a tad in the future, like a decade.
April 2nd, 2018 at 4:56:55 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
I got that implication from the movie as well. There was a scene where they had to clean up the dead robots while the town slept and they were all over the street. As I recall, they said the cost was $1,000 per day, which would have been rather steep in 1973, although I think the movie took place a tad in the future, like a decade.

I think in the HBO series, the cost was $10,000 per day, with the Ed Harris character being so wealthy he practically lives in Westworld now. Been there so long he's noticed patterns and puzzles that must be solved!

Season 2 starts April 22.
April 2nd, 2018 at 7:30:42 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
I think in the HBO series, the cost was $10,000 per day, with the Ed Harris character being so wealthy he practically lives in Westworld now.

Well $1000 in 1973 is roughly $6000 today, but the movie took place in a fictional future and the HBO series also takes place in the future. In any case the price of hookers has to be a lot less than the daily cost of the resort. The series concept clearly implies that people don't come there for a sex vacation.
April 2nd, 2018 at 7:55:18 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
“Tyler Perry’s Acrimony”. This adult drama/thriller stars Taraji P. Henson as Melinda, the wife of struggling inventor Robert (played by Lyriq Bent), as she relates to her counselor how she met him in college, supported and sacrificed for him to follow his inventor obsession/dream, and eventually had to cut him loose when he let her and her sisters down at a critical time. The balance of the film follows the deterioration of their relationship after the divorce.

This film was hard to watch, since it was clear from the beginning that Melinda had anger issues and a restraining order was ordered by the court, so things were bad and going to get worse. There’s a stereotype of an angry black woman that anyone who has ever watched ‘Sanford and Son’ or ‘Jerry Springer’ is familiar with, and Melinda says to her counselor, that “l am a stereotype”. This struck me as odd because Tyler Perry usually goes out of his way to break stereotypes in his movies. Henson does a good job with the material she has to work with, but the decision to tell the story through Henson’s bitter and foul mouthed voice-over POV becomes too many twangs on the same violin string. Another problem for Henson in this film is the presence of the stunningly beautiful Crystle Stewart as Diana. She is distractingly gorgeous which may be what Perry was going for; to make Henson appear even more overmatched and less likable, but unfortunately Stewart’s role is as small as her costumes in the film, so we don’t get a chance to develop a rooting interest.

Perhaps the most telling thing about the film is the disappointment expressed by the middle-aged black women in the audience when the end credits began to roll. If anyone was going to love this film, it would have been them, since they were not afraid to talk back to the characters on the screen while the film was rolling. However, when it was over, it was clear that they were less than satisfied, and like me, thought the resolution was confusing.

I give it 4 self-regenerating batteries out of ten.