What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 29th, 2018 at 11:38:34 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Pacomartin
As a cable channel, FX is not regulated by the Federal Communications Commission, and therefore doesn't face any outside restrictions.

But unlike premium channel cables such as HBO and Showtime, where f-bombs are a dime a dozen, FX is accountable to advertisers, so it has to make sure theat the show is clearly appealing to adults. But FX has sort of carved a niche for itself among basic cable channels in that the TV series are much edgier than the other networks.

The success of these cable network shows with R-rated content has pushed network shows to include curse words.. even in family comedies. There was a time when network shows were showing bare bottoms and side boobs too, but it seems advertisers have pushed back on butt cracks with their diabetes medicine.
March 29th, 2018 at 1:46:17 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
SyFy and USA can f-bomb all they like now.

http://www.slashfilm.com/swearing-on-syfy-and-usa/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 30th, 2018 at 5:39:42 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: ams288
FX shows started dropping F-bombs regularly a couple years ago during American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson.

I think it goes back further...I first noticed R-rated language and optics on "Dirt", was surprised. That goes back about 10 years. Was a pretty interesting series, though.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 30th, 2018 at 8:16:43 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I had to go look up D!RT in Wikipedia before I remembered that I liked that show. Had forgotten all about it.
Certainly in todays market it was fairly tame.
April 1st, 2018 at 7:44:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Girl on the Train critical summary said ", "Emily Blunt's outstanding performance isn't enough to keep The Girl on the Train from sliding sluggishly into exploitative melodrama."

While I would agree that it could be slow moving and a little bit melodramatic, overall I thought the performances were very good, and I enjoyed it.
April 1st, 2018 at 9:02:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My daughter, knowing my like or robot and alien movies, recommended I give Westworld a try. I'm sure she meant the Netflix series, but I ended up putting the 1973 movie in my queue, which I just watched.

For a movie about robots having a rebellion against their human owners made in 1973, the special effects do not impress by today's standards. However, I was impressed at the mention of a computer virus, which probably predated real computer viruses by decades. The robot played by Yul Brynner I thought was very reminiscent of the terminator in the original Terminator movie. Still, I thought the movie seemed rather low budget and kind of cheesy. Still, difficult to stop watching. It definitely deserves a place of importance in the history of robots vs. humans movies.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 1st, 2018 at 9:23:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
recommended I give Westworld a try. I'm sure she meant the Netflix series,

I just looked and there is no
series called Westworld on
Netflix. There was one on
HBO, I think.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 1st, 2018 at 9:45:16 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
My daughter, knowing my like or robot and alien movies, recommended I give Westworld a try. I'm sure she meant the Netflix series, but I ended up putting the 1973 movie in my queue, which I just watched.

For a movie about robots having a rebellion against their human owners made in 1973, the special effects do not impress by today's standards. However, I was impressed at the mention of a computer virus, which probably predated real computer viruses by decades. The robot played by Yul Brynner I thought was very reminiscent of the terminator in the original Terminator movie. Still, I thought the movie seemed rather low budget and kind of cheesy. Still, difficult to stop watching. It definitely deserves a place of importance in the history of robots vs. humans movies.

Part of the allure, for my little-boy mind, was the sex robots of Roman World. Feeding me grapes. Calling me "m'lord".

Not "m'lord forgets himself!" when I go too far. lol

Cheesy, sure. But Yul striding with hands in pockets down the hallway was a "this is manly!" moment in my head. Something to strive for when I grew up.
April 2nd, 2018 at 12:23:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The Tarzan movie with Bo Derek was one of the first R-rated movies I ever saw. It is still very imprinted in my head.

Tarzan the Ape Man (24 July 1981) from your birthday (May 23, 1965) would have made you age 16 and 2 months.

I don't know if your daughter is older or younger than your age when you saw Tarzan, but the amount of nudity in Tarzan compared to Westworld on HBO is world's apart.

April 2nd, 2018 at 2:57:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
you are doxxing the wizard, a birthdate is valuable to identity theifs
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]