Threads: 146
Quote: odiousgambit

"If a man is alone in the woods, with no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"

Absolutely wrong. With every breath
he takes. The best tactic is to tell your
wife nothing she doesn't need to know.
It can be done with practice, just keep
your yap shut and let her talk.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 11th, 2018 at 2:49:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Humans are similar to "lower" organisms.... and in many ways, quite different.
Thoughts to ponder;
Prozac affects three generations of zebrafish.
A mouse's uterus plays a role in memory.
December 26th, 2018 at 11:24:11 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I hate "year in review" features stations often run at the end of the year. Filler material. I'd rather watch an old sitcom.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 30th, 2018 at 6:25:38 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Anyone familiar with winches? I'm speaking specifically of the electric motor + wire cable kind. Basically im trying to understand how to translate claimed pulling power into real life capability.

Pops got me one rated at 12k/lbs. Since race car is 3500 and truck is 6k and it'll always be done from hard pack, it seems overkill. Even thinking about a twisted car with less than 4 tires on it, I wonder if it's just way more than I need.

Anyone?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
December 30th, 2018 at 6:51:40 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: rxwine
I hate "year in review" features stations often run at the end of the year. Filler material. I'd rather watch an old sitcom.

I was watching one of these reviews and in pop culture the main story was something I never heard about: CARDI B ATTACKS NICKI MINAJ WITH SHOE AT FASHION WEEK PARTY. I don't recall us ever discussing this. How did it escape the attention of all of us?

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 30th, 2018 at 10:15:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
CARDI B ATTACKS NICKI MINAJ WITH SHOE AT FASHION WEEK PARTY

Never heard of either one, are these
real people? Do they have enough
eye make-up on?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 30th, 2018 at 11:45:04 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Anyone familiar with winches? I'm speaking specifically of the electric motor + wire cable kind. Basically im trying to understand how to translate claimed pulling power into real life capability.

Pops got me one rated at 12k/lbs. Since race car is 3500 and truck is 6k and it'll always be done from hard pack, it seems overkill. Even thinking about a twisted car with less than 4 tires on it, I wonder if it's just way more than I need.

Anyone?
Sure. Your race car may only weigh 3200 with a few pieces left out on the track, but your buddies broken down f250 diesel is around 5900, and that's without the camper.

First...."it's rated12k". I have yet to meet the winch that pulls what it says it will. Most all of them make a claim, but that is when the drum is empty and you are using a pulley on the load with the line going from the winch to the load and back, effectively splitting the load. There is also a 10% friction loss for each sheave the fall line travels through at 180*. Each layer of line wound onto the drum decreases the overall capacity of the winch. So once the second layer of winch line starts winding onto the drum, capacity is reduced. Also the drum requires 6 raps of line on it to secure the bitter end of the cable.

I hope you use a quality block to "split the load" with if necessary, like a Skookum or McKissic. The effective load on that block is higher than the load you are lifting. I'm sure the total load will be a lot higher than the weight of the car if it were laying in the dirt with the drive line grinding in, and you needing to drag it uphill onto the trailer. Whatever the directions say on the voltage for the battery's being used are necessary for full power. And a pull that far will probably drop the amperage on a normal battery, it will only do max. lift, with full battery voltage, for a short time.

Also with the bigger winch you get stronger cable. A smaller winch has smaller cable, and it doesn't take a long time of abuse to starting breaking individual strands. Chances are you won't be fairleading the cable onto the drum. You need leather gloves.

Knowing you like we do, you are probably thinking of connecting the load with a chain. People get into a world of hurt, using cheap or undersized chain. I've seen chain snap and chunks fly hundreds of feet down the road when they get shock loaded, wicked. Don't scrimp on the rigging, You may need shackles, Crosby brand is the only "tested" shackle that I am aware of. There are all kinds of imitation rigging out there, which deform or destruct well below their stated capacity. Stay out of the bite of the line.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 31st, 2018 at 5:48:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
My wife forced me to go to a
restaurant and they wanted
to know what name the
reservation was in. I had totally
forgotten today was NYE, no
wonder Walmart was so
crowded on a Monday. I
thought it was just another
rainy Monday..
January 2nd, 2019 at 6:35:43 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
Sure.

Damn. Exactly the response I was looking for.

"Knowing you like we do" lol. You're right in that I might probably have used cheap chain, had I even thought to use one. I need to move my old truck once and then it'll all be full frame race car. I figured just clip the hook into the frame and pull it. No sort of chain contraption will ever keep it straight with the toe and camber the way it is; I've got a remote to operate it for in-car. Figured hook it right up, hop in, and steer while being pulled. Can't scrimp on rigging if you got no rigging ;)

And I knew a bit about the loss for stated max; your post was a lot more detailed and has caused more questions...

I wasn't gonna split s#$%. Car's 3,700lbs with driver. Is it gonna wear out or something? Why would I hassle myself by taking twice as long? And "knowing me like you do", why would you be setting me up to where it's easier for friends with diesels to be calling my cracked frame, no trailer brake ass to come help? lol

Damn, I dunno. I know overkill never needs upgrading, but I do hate to have giant stuff when much smaller suffices. Lowest I've seen reported was a 3700#, like a wheeler winch. Dude said he's had no problems, but it's obviously underpowered. All the guys with 5's and 6' seem to have no problems, but occasional reports of underpowering. Seein's I can have the wrecker put it right on for me if it gets that bad, do I really need to tote around such a huge contraption? 12k just sound like skid steer on a gooseneck level stuff.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 2nd, 2019 at 6:58:52 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Can't scrimp on rigging if you got no rigging ;)
Most line strength is reduced 50% when you choke it back on itself. For future reference, a square knot holds as much as a bowline when tying knots in cable.

Quote:
I wasn't gonna split s#$%. Car's 3,700lbs with driver. Is it gonna wear out or something? Why would I hassle myself by taking twice as long?
Not sure what you have there? Many of the winch adds reveal more when directions get read. Lots of stuff in fine print says, it takes a pulley in the middle to get rated capacity.

Yeah, you'll be fine with a lighter capacity. Did you gaze at the retrieval speeds for different units? Do your choices all have "free spool" out? Or do you get stuck with "power out" ?

Quote:
Damn, I dunno. I know overkill never needs upgrading, but I do hate to have giant stuff when much smaller suffices.
Is there a big physical size difference? I assume you are going to mount it so you can take it off quickly before your friends steal it? lol. I like mounting them with those 2" receiver hitches, so you can take it off the trailer and use it on the back off pops ole Chevy, or you know, buddies that decided a 6k pound 4x was a good idea to go mountain climbing with. Doesn't seem frugal for this to be single use.

Quote:
Lowest I've seen reported was a 3700#, like a wheeler winch. Dude said he's had no problems, but it's obviously underpowered. All the guys with 5's and 6' seem to have no problems, but occasional reports of underpowering.
I guess we have different friends, all mine overload the crap out of everything. Like it's their god given duty to stress test everything.

Quote:
Seein's I can have the wrecker put it right on for me if it gets that bad, do I really need to tote around such a huge contraption? 12k just sound like skid steer on a gooseneck level stuff.
I see your point. Be happy with a 12lb. lighter tool. : } I never really admired a guy that had to have a dually pick up, when single tired will do.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW