Random Thought of the Day

January 2nd, 2019 at 7:41:28 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
No sort of chain contraption will ever keep it straight with the toe and camber the way it is;
Without wheels it's going to follow the winch line. Can't you put a bungy on the steering wheel, so you are free to run around checking stuff?

Quote:
I've got a remote to operate it for in-car.
Where is the electricity going to come from that powers the winch? That is a long way from the truck battery if the winch is mounted on the trailer?

Quote:
Figured hook it right up, hop in, and steer while being pulled.
The trick is fair leading

Quote:
I wasn't gonna split s#$%. Car's 3,700lbs with driver. Is it gonna wear out or something?
No, they last. You will thank yourself every time you use it, that you didn't get a 12 like I originally suggested.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 2nd, 2019 at 8:34:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Normally, I wouldn't have told this story, but my wife heard it and made a big deal about it, so I'll tell it for other thoughts.

It started yesterday with Mrs. Wizard ordered me and my 16-year-old son to get flu shots. So, today I took Wizard jr. to the nearby CVS, which does them. I explained to the woman at the counter that I came for two flu shots for my son and myself (or do I say "I" again?). They start to get the ball rolling and then a man in the pharmacy said, "I'm sorry, but we have only one clean needle left. You have three choices -- you get the shot, your son does, or you share the needle."

I choose to share the needle. He then asks who goes first, getting the clean needle. I felt it would be insulting to my son, implying he had an STD or something, if I insisted on going first. However, if I insisted he go first, I was afraid it would be interpreted that I had the STD or AIDS or something. So, as usual, I left it up to fate, got a coin from my pocket and told me son to call it. He won the flip, so he went first and I got the dirty needle. The gentleman who told us about the last clean needle seemed to enjoy my way of solving the problem.

My son never even commented on it at the time, but later told the story to Mrs. Wizard, who is a nurse. She was just outraged the CVS would let customers share a needle, even with consent. I argued that I understand what a dirty needle is and would rather be given the choice as opposed to one of us having to bother returning another day. I'm big on letting consenting adults make a deal as opposed to the government standing in the way.

What's your take on this event?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 2nd, 2019 at 10:50:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard

Total over reaction by your wife. The
guy gives these shots all day long,
he knows the risk of two relatives
sharing a needle, almost zero.

Reminds me of these people who
go insane when they see a cooking
video and the cook doesn't handle
the raw chicken like it's nuclear
waste. Some chicken carries
salmonella, so you should be careful
to wash your hands after handling
it raw. But it's only 16% that carry
it, so the chances of getting
poisoned are slim.

Half of raw chicken has campybactor
bacteria, which causes diarrhea
and is not near as bad as salmonella.
My point is, you should be careful
with raw chicken, I eat chicken all
the time. But be careful within reason,
like the guy who gave the shots was
careful within reason.

And I hope your son learned a
lesson, never tell women things
they don't need to know. It will
save you a lifetime of grief. I
never tell my wife anything if
it doesn't directly concern her.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2019 at 2:50:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
it's only 16% that carry
it, so the chances of getting
poisoned are slim.
16% = low chance? Anyway, I don't think I've ever gotten sick eating chicken or eggs, we take just the basic precautions. Some people are remarkably stupid, I had a girlfriend who I scolded for putting cooked chicken back on the same plate she had the raw chicken.
Quote:
never tell women things
they don't need to know. It will
save you a lifetime of grief. I
never tell my wife anything if
it doesn't directly concern her.
I spend half my life making sure I don't blurt out the simplest things.

As to the OP, I think that was a sensible decision, but the pharmacist better watch his step, that he is doing that will start up a big chatter now with your wife and god knows who ... he may get a visit

Want to talk about whether a flu shot is necessary? I've got my opinions on that
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 3rd, 2019 at 5:00:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
us district court rules fineing a man for saying 'iam an enginneer' was unconstitutional. I could not find our earlier discussion of Oregon's actions.
January 3rd, 2019 at 5:54:32 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Wizard

Please tell me this story is from Nathan's corner!!!!! The thought that in 2019 a pharmacist would IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE even consider using the same needle on two different humans is BEYOND BELIEVABILITY.

And are we supposed to believe that an actual pharmacy has ONE CLEAN NEEDLE???????

Mike, if this really happened, you MUST report this pharmacy to the health department or whatever authority has power over this QUACK!!!!!

I'm checking to see if your post is from 4/1.....
January 3rd, 2019 at 6:20:00 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
Please tell me this story is from Nathan's corner!!!!! The thought that in 2019 a pharmacist would IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE even consider using the same needle on two different humans is BEYOND BELIEVABILITY.

And are we supposed to believe that an actual pharmacy has ONE CLEAN NEEDLE???????

Mike, if this really happened, you MUST report this pharmacy to the health department or whatever authority has power over this QUACK!!!!!

I'm checking to see if your post is from 4/1.....

I agree, if this is a true story I would expect that they may have broken a law. At the same time I would have chosen the same path as the Wizard. I am a gambler. Gambling in that situation seems like a higher EV than coming back at another time.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 3rd, 2019 at 6:34:56 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Mike,

Since you ask...

I'm with your wife (and SOOPOO). I'm just stunned this happened. That pharmacist should be defrocked or whatever they call it . Sharing needles???! Wow.

FWIW: When my dad was fighting cancer, I went in weekly to donate platelets for a couple years. He was getting large numbers of transfusions, and they would trade one bag into him for one bag out of me.

They gave him one bag of mine. He swelled up like a tick, and got horrible hives. Despite my being 1/2 his genes, there was some reactive substance in my blood that caused that. (He was very allergic - Platlets can be used regardless of blood type, because those cells get returned to the donor, but there are other factors.) So we did the trade transaction and swapped liter for liter, with him getting a different source. So yeah, even family can have enough dissimilar cells to cause a reaction, let alone hepatitis, STDs, whatever.

And what did you just teach your son? If you were out in the bush, both hyperallergic to bee stings, and got attacked by a swarm, with one Epipen between you, yeah, share the needle. Otherwise, come back the neXT day.

How much easier would life be if Jr. reported, no, we went to 2 different CVS (or the Walgreen across the street) because even though the pharmacist offered to share the needle, we knew better because you're a nurse.

God forbid the lesson is to hide foolish things from her because she's a woman.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 3rd, 2019 at 7:30:46 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: beachbumbabs
God forbid the lesson is to hide foolish things from her because she's a woman.

Remember BBB that what is foolish is often in the eye of the beholder. Mike made a decision that he didn't think was foolish. He has now asked for opinions on whether it was foolish and you have cast your vote. The point being that the average man has no idea when some seemingly innocuous event will set a women off. I have managed to make my 50th wedding anniversary and still have no idea when something might set my wife off. Better to just keep your mouth shut.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 3rd, 2019 at 7:50:50 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: beachbumbabs
That pharmacist should be defrocked or whatever they call it .
It is real hard to get a license suspended or revoked.
Even in compounding pharmacies where ingredients are 'stretched' to make more money, licenses are rarely revoked.
First time I had to take insulin walmart gave 30 days of insulin but only ten days of needles. I went to winndixie to get additional needles and he said no way.

walmart onve told me they couldn't refill a cardiology Rx for two weeks. What it actually was is my insurance company calculated I would not need a refill until then, so pharmacist lied to me. In actuality the doctor had telephonically doubled my dose.