Random Thought of the Day

January 3rd, 2019 at 6:32:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
You don't need a wife, just a girlfriend who gets upset about stuff you didn't get upset about.

I'm not even sure it's officially of ill intent not to tell.. When you find out what she reacts badly to, you start to avoid telling if otherwise, it makes little difference. Water under the bridge, so to speak.

Of course, if you know she's likely to find out anyway, better just to tell her.

Oh, and sometimes you try to figure out what the best time to tell to minimize the drama. Can't say that always works.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 3rd, 2019 at 6:35:26 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The worst part of suffering, is that the other has to witness it.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 3rd, 2019 at 6:40:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Of course, if you know she's likely to find out anyway, better just to tell her.

I never do that because sometimes she
doesn't find out. Or it's so far after the
fact she won't care anymore.

Like Charleton Heston said, a happy
marriage is you constantly apologizing,
even if you've done nothing wrong.
'Sorry' should be a huge word in your
wife vocabulary. It's why men take up
hobbies and stay in the basement
6 hours a day. My hobby is living in
a different house than her.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2019 at 7:33:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
To sappy? I've got horror story's from the first time.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 4th, 2019 at 3:20:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
examples of what I wouldn't tell my wife:

*that I lost or won more than an insignificant amount of money gambling

*I slipped and fell but am OK

*my back hurts after shoveling snow or whatever; I might admit it 'tightened up'

*I broke or threw away something by accident, unlikely to be noticed

*any decision similar to the 'share a needle' type

what I assume though is that she knows everything. If I am trapped into talking about it, I don't lie, except little white lies that can't be checked

PS: I even assume she knows what I write here and at WoV; obviously I wouldn't want her to read this, on the other hand there are no details LOL. She never indicates she knows anything, not even what my user names are. To me that is the same difference. It is not proof, though. Don't underestimate women.

I figure the signal/noise ratio here and at WoV is good. She's not interested in what we discuss, and there is a lot of "noise" to wade through to get to something she cares about.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 4th, 2019 at 10:27:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: odiousgambit
examples of what I wouldn't tell my wife:
*that I lost or won more than an insignificant amount of money gambling
*I slipped and fell but am OK
*my back hurts after shoveling snow or whatever; I might admit it 'tightened up'
*I broke or threw away something by accident, unlikely to be noticed
*any decision similar to the 'share a needle' type .

I totally agree on all these. You never
want to give them an opening, they'll
go at it with a rusty screwdriver and
pliers. Never admit to making mistakes
of any kind. Never admit to weakness.

If you look closely, you even see this male
attitude reflected in most TV show marriages
to some degree. They treat wives very
warily, for good reason. You learn early
on they're not on your side.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 4th, 2019 at 11:43:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've been watching some episodes of the old TV series "The Untouchables" [Eliot Ness and all that]

One thing I'm getting a big kick out of is when Ness gets disgusted with one of the gangsters in custody he just hauls off and slaps the guy as hard as he can with zero concern about it. Happens over and over.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 4th, 2019 at 11:58:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Watch the old detective movies from
the 40's and 50's and you'll see why
the Miranda Act came to be. Cops
were thugs.
January 4th, 2019 at 12:56:21 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I know this will argue EB's case, but the next day I was called a lazy bastard by Mrs. Wizard for taking a shot with a dirty needle as opposed to riding my bicycle five minutes back to CVS another time when they should have had more clean needles.

In my defense, it would have been more than the ten minutes of transportation time, because they often have a line at the pharmacy there and I'd have had to go through their questioning and paperwork again.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 4th, 2019 at 1:24:17 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Wizard
I know this will argue EB's case, but the next day I was called a lazy bastard by Mrs. Wizard for taking a shot with a dirty needle as opposed to riding my bicycle five minutes back to CVS another time when they should have had more clean needles.

In my defense, it would have been more than the ten minutes of transportation time, because they often have a line at the pharmacy there and I'd have had to go through their questioning and paperwork again.
I do find it remarkable that any sort of medical practitioner would advocate the sharing of a needle between two patients, even if they were father and son. Sharing a re-usable syringe. Yes. But not a needle.

Are these jabs into muscle or vein? Maybe less risk into muscle?
What if any steps were taken to sterilise the needle between jabs? It wouldn't take much effort.
Did the medic have you sign any sort of disclaimer?
How old is Wizard's son again?

Sorry if those details were revealed earlier.

I'd have consented to sharing a needle with my wife, on the basis that whatever infections one of us carries, we both probably do. But it still feels just wrong in this modern age. Maybe in some families fathers and sons have secrets and quite different potential infections?

Was Wizard's wife right to be up in arms... As much as any woman is ever right to be so.
Should Wizard have kept schtum? No. The truth will out, so take the kicking when you are braced for it.

I commend Flipping the coin for who goes first. Typical Wizard.