Random Thought of the Day

September 3rd, 2018 at 4:01:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Just saw a story that roller derby has morphed into a real sport from its pro-wrestling style fakeness.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2018 at 12:38:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Must be the browser tracking whatever I'm reading since I read a post about Terapined's pop up camper. Now see a story about a pop-"out" camper.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/article/cargo-camp-is-a-cool-barebones-camper-for-incognito-tourists/ar-BBMVDQk?ocid=spartanntp

Actually kind of clever -- might give you more integrated space.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 7th, 2018 at 1:29:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Makes Urban Camping or Stealth Camping easier too. Camping in places that normally do not allow RVs to be parked. By the time anyone notices, you can be gone. Both residents and police patrols take note of windows or skylights in parked trucks that are really mildly disguised RVs. Neighbors may complain promptly and cops are not likely to be fooled by commercially suggestive markings or equipment. This results in any such 'stealth camping' to be a difficult undertaking. Even a supermarket parking lot is a suitable camping site for a longer period of time if a vehicle appears to be a commercial truck rather than a lived-in RV. Even a street with alert neighbors and an active Neighborhood Watch program can be a bit slow if a parked vehicle appears to be commercial in nature and no persons are visible.
September 30th, 2018 at 12:16:04 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I've noticed for the first time that in the NFL, when a kickoff goes into the end zone, the receivers often don't even try to catch it. That used to be a live ball until someone caught and controlled it, though you could take a knee immediately. Not sure how long that has been going on.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 30th, 2018 at 2:47:49 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
I've noticed for the first time that in the NFL, when a kickoff goes into the end zone, the receivers often don't even try to catch it. That used to be a live ball until someone caught and controlled it, though you could take a knee immediately. Not sure how long that has been going on.

That is a new rule either this year or last. I believe you can also now fair catch a kickoff and get the ball at the 25 if you choose.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 11th, 2018 at 4:35:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Vanna White is 61

Her net worth of 140 million is due mainly from her annual salary of 8 million on WoF.
October 20th, 2018 at 5:59:39 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Samson et Dalila [Saint-Saëns] is a live broadcast of the Met today in theaters

I try to make a lot of these.

If you don't like opera, it's an acquired taste, I think. If you haven't acquired it, I've noticed a person can react adversely, running from the room sort of thing. A man can feel like a phony too I think; and there are people who go who are phonies.

It's the sopranos who can generate the adverse reaction, the singing can strike you as shrill. I sometimes hear the shrill too, in operas I don't like [there are enough of those]. But I have no memory of such a reaction listening to the below. Saint-Saëns is good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxY3gYX6mVs

PS, Elīna Garanča is a mezzo-soprano I see; that helps
October 20th, 2018 at 6:45:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
Saint-Saëns is good!

I got pounced on pretty quick by my horn teacher for mispronouncing the name.
October 20th, 2018 at 1:16:10 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
I got pounced on pretty quick by my horn teacher for mispronouncing the name.

I heard somewhere it doesn't follow the usual French pronunciation rules, so you are forgiven - it's not usually the French thing to pronounce the 's' , but you do here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK8vyq0wBmQ
October 22nd, 2018 at 8:05:50 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Does anyone here have WeChat? Was the account opened at least six months ago? If so, I need someone to verify my account. If you can help, please PM me the phone number associated with your WeChat account. Thank you.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber