Random Thought of the Day

January 3rd, 2019 at 8:18:04 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
This is absolutely a true story, not a Nathan metaphor.

My wife had a similar reaction as SOOPOO and BBB, that this must have been a serious violation of some health law.

Regarding the point that my son's blood might be toxic to me, why don't you hear about such reactions from people receiving donated blood? I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Are there any compatibility tests done between the donor and recipient? I also wonder if a pint given at the donation center remains self contained, or does it get mixed with other blood of the same blood type? Medicine is not my strong suit, as you can see.

Do you think this topic is worthy of its own thread?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 3rd, 2019 at 9:12:04 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: kenarman
Remember BBB that what is foolish is often in the eye of the beholder. Mike made a decision that he didn't think was foolish. He has now asked for opinions on whether it was foolish and you have cast your vote. The point being that the average man has no idea when some seemingly innocuous event will set a women off. I have managed to make my 50th wedding anniversary and still have no idea when something might set my wife off. Better to just keep your mouth shut.

If Mike had not asked for our thoughts, he would not have heard from me. A marriage is only big enough for 2 people, and everyone makes their own internal decisions, so I tend to stay out of it. But the fact that his wife reacted badly pretty well proves how foolish the decision was, no? She's a professional, and understands the risk, and that's where she is coming from on it.

The other point is, if what Mike takes from this and teaches Jr, is keep doing foolish things, but hide them from your SO, how is that a good lesson? I would guess this has been a long-running argument/procrastination in the family that came to a head with recent flu deaths in California, because we got our flu shots in October after weeks of procrastination ourselves. But it's her area of expertise. And the CDC said last week this is the strongest strain they've seen of H1N1 for a while, so yeah, she's going to push it.

I guess my thought is, if Dad's first reaction is, Don't tell your mother, why doesn't that make the difference in choosing how to do it?
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 3rd, 2019 at 9:42:47 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: beachbumbabs
If Mike had not asked for our thoughts, he would not have heard from me. A marriage is only big enough for 2 people, and everyone makes their own internal decisions, so I tend to stay out of it. But the fact that his wife reacted badly pretty well proves how foolish the decision was, no? She's a professional, and understands the risk, and that's where she is coming from on it.

The other point is, if what Mike takes from this and teaches Jr, is keep doing foolish things, but hide them from your SO, how is that a good lesson? I would guess this has been a long-running argument/procrastination in the family that came to a head with recent flu deaths in California, because we got our flu shots in October after weeks of procrastination ourselves. But it's her area of expertise. And the CDC said last week this is the strongest strain they've seen of H1N1 for a while, so yeah, she's going to push it.

I guess my thought is, if Dad's first reaction is, Don't tell your mother, why doesn't that make the difference in choosing how to do it?

Not sure what the flu shot has to do with this discussion. In my OP I stated that Mike clearly didn't think it was a foolish decision and didn't hide it from his wife. I would expect that Mike and his son were more at risk on the drive to the drug store than they were from sharing the needle. A pharmacist should probably not have suggested it though as I expect he would have professional liability if something were to happen.

When I was growing up blood was shared all the time. We all had blood brothers, usually multiple blood brothers. We would each make a small cut somewhere and then press the cuts together. Our mothers didn't like the idea so we usually didn't tell them. Don't think any of my "blood brothers" died young so the risk was acceptable. Lost several friends to car accidents though.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
January 3rd, 2019 at 10:05:42 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: kenarman
The point being that the average man has no idea when some seemingly innocuous event will set a women off. I have managed to make my 50th wedding anniversary and still have no idea when something might set my wife off.

Amen, brother. You learn the hard way
to keep your mouth shut. Tell the dog,
tell your brother, talk to the wall, but
a guy who tells his wife stuff that doesn't
directly concern her is an idiot. Why do
that to yourself.

Remember as a kid how you kept most
things from your mother because of
the consequences? A wife is your mother
in every way, except you're having sex with
her.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2019 at 10:50:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My view on the needle sharing is similar to my view on what is practical health care.

I don't like risks without the warning. But if you give the warning, somewhat like those long list of side effects that are required on medications, I do not necessarily think it is unethical unless you can clearly show the patient didn't understand the risk.

Shouldn't you be able to sign up for something that is a risk to yourself when you are properly warned even if it is not normally advised.

The part where I have a problem is if we have a minor where consent is involved. Or risks that involve risks to other people. But self-risk, why not?

Wizard always had the choice to leave. Is it clear he understood the risk?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 3rd, 2019 at 10:52:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: beachbumbabs

That was never my reaction. I never meant to keep the story from her, I just didn't think it was very important until my wife went to me to verify the story my son told her. I'm not saying tell your wife/mother everything, but it's probably not good for a relationship to say nothing either.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 3rd, 2019 at 10:53:16 AM permalink
Evenbob
The awful fraud 'mother' Teresa, was infamous
for re-using needles in her clinics because
she was too cheap to buy new ones. Now that
was a big deal because you never know what
disease the last guy had who was poked by the
same non sterilized needle. She had the money
for new ones, but she loved to see people suffer,
it was her 'thing'. She thought it brought them
closer to Jesus. She was a truly sick person..

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/27/world/asia/mother-teresa-critic.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 3rd, 2019 at 11:18:24 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
Do you think this topic is worthy of its own thread?
No. Risk on the drive to but a lottery ticket or get a flu shot is the same. flu shot has its own risks. people do suffer from blood brother oaths, especially blood sisters, same with mud pies, etc.
events can be rare but still be a cognizable threat....
local school requires all food for a party to be entirely store bought with receipts provide and containers still sealed.

Some organ transfers have gone forward with incompatible blood types as records can be wrong. Autologous blood is chosen by some.
January 3rd, 2019 at 3:55:08 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
That was never my reaction. I never meant to keep the story from her, I just didn't think it was very important until my wife went to me to verify the story my son told her. I'm not saying tell your wife/mother everything, but it's probably not good for a relationship to say nothing either.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. I think your story got conflated in my head by those that first reacted to it by saying don't tell her.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 3rd, 2019 at 6:12:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
I'm not saying tell your wife/mother everything,.

Single guy to married guy:

"What did you your wife say when you told her?"

Married guy:

"You're not married, are you. Why would I do that to myself."

Sometimes I say to myself, 'when I tell
my wife'.. Then I laugh at the joke I just
made.